Looking for a Camera Recommendation

itsbob

I bowl overhand
It's not really the low f-stop, it is the consistant low f-stop throughout the lenses range. Its easy to build a lens that has a low f-stop at its shortest but quickly loses light the longer the focal length becomes. There are also better coatings on more expensive lenses that do things like get rid of purple fringing. The clearness of the lens at the edges also is a big one, many kit lenses are soft around their corners but the good ones, like Canon L's, are tack sharp corner to corner. The cheap lenses are often decentered, being sharp on one side of the lens but soft on a very big portion of the lens on the other side.

That's what I said!!

:cds:

Yeah, I understand all that. Been shooting since I was a kid. I know these aren't the finest lenses, but they are fine for getting started again.

Here's a couple I took this morning. One thing I notice is that the 55-200mm lens, when full out to 200mm, doesn't correctly autofocus. It focuses short, even when using the spot meter. Once I switched to manual, I was able to sharpen it right up. These aren't the best shots, 1st time out with this lens.

I also noticed that in fully auto mode, the camera tends to use a low ISO speed (and I understand why), and that forces a wider f-stop and slower shutter speed. 2nd pic shows that, where the depth of field was a bit too short. I'll need to over-ride the ISO when outside to lessen the focus issues.

Attachments

• IMG_0020.JPG
    IMG_0020.JPG
    84.7 KB · Views: 180
  • IMG_0021.JPG
    IMG_0021.JPG
    55.6 KB · Views: 175
C

czygvtwkr

Yeah, I understand all that. Been shooting since I was a kid. I know these aren't the finest lenses, but they are fine for getting started again.

Here's a couple I took this morning. One thing I notice is that the 55-200mm lens, when full out to 200mm, doesn't correctly autofocus. It focuses short, even when using the spot meter. Once I switched to manual, I was able to sharpen it right up. These aren't the best shots, 1st time out with this lens.

I also noticed that in fully auto mode, the camera tends to use a low ISO speed (and I understand why), and that forces a wider f-stop and slower shutter speed. 2nd pic shows that, where the depth of field was a bit too short. I'll need to over-ride the ISO when outside to lessen the focus issues.

I think the DOF would have been fine if it had been focused on the bird, but it looks like it was quite a bit in front of the bird.