Looking for place to board horse

fredsaid2

WildHorses said:

No place will ever suit us 100%. I've always said I'd find something to biatch about even if I had my own farm! The yuckiest places I've left found someone to take my place eventually. What didn't suit me suited them. C'est la vie! Still, there's something about horse people, we love to be in the know. SAHRAB, hope you're now at a place you like and can count the $700 as an expesive lesson....or twenty :biggrin:

Wildhorses - how's your pony search coming, finding any prospects? Heard Freedom's Rein is back in business so probably nothing for sale there. Too bad, they have some sweeties!

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
there is a vaccine to protect against strangles. You board, you run the risk of illness, regardless of breed/species (dogs/cats are no exception-hence boarding facilities insist on kennel cough vaccines, in addition to the other stuff) with the continuous influx of new horses, some will be infected, some will be carriers, there is no way to control it-and it can be caught on a trail ride, as easily as from the barn...and MUD and POOP-POOP happen everywhere. My place is beautiful, except in the horse fields, which happen to run downhill from my house. MUD MUD MUD. We wear muck boots all year long.
I have a nasty case of bronchitis, but i don't go off the deep end and blame the family down the street for MY illness because they all had it and one of them played with my kid and, and i chose to let her go over to play, and now I have it....it happens.

W

WildHorses

fredsaid2 said:
Wildhorses - how's your pony search coming, finding any prospects? Heard Freedom's Rein is back in business so probably nothing for sale there. Too bad, they have some sweeties!

Still looking. Liked the website you sent, but a little pricier than I was hoping for on a small pony. :flowers:

W

WildHorses

appyday said:
Bottom line...tell us what you want to spend and we will go from there... :coffee:

Since it will be a horse that kids will outgrow, we're thinking maximum $2,000. :howdy: Doesn't have to be show quality, nothing flashy (we have flashy -- and love it, of course). :lmao: Also want it to be in the 10-15 year old range so that it knows what it needs to do and does it willingly. :flowers: Would like a horse that someone is just looking to find a good home for, i.e. one that their child has outgrown. :thewave:

fredsaid2

happyappygirl said:
there is a vaccine to protect against strangles. You board, you run the risk of illness, regardless of breed/species (dogs/cats are no exception-hence boarding facilities insist on kennel cough vaccines, in addition to the other stuff) with the continuous influx of new horses, some will be infected, some will be carriers, there is no way to control it-and it can be caught on a trail ride, as easily as from the barn...and MUD and POOP-POOP happen everywhere. My place is beautiful, except in the horse fields, which happen to run downhill from my house. MUD MUD MUD. We wear muck boots all year long.
I have a nasty case of bronchitis, but i don't go off the deep end and blame the family down the street for MY illness because they all had it and one of them played with my kid and, and i chose to let her go over to play, and now I have it....it happens.

I wouldn't choose to board at a place that has reoccurring episodes of strangles. If a place does have it, it's a place you want to avoid. New horses should be quarantined from the rest of the horses but it rarely happens. In a best case scenario you'd be able to identify and contain an infected horse before introducing it to the rest of the herd.

W

WildHorses

fredsaid2 said:
I wouldn't choose to board at a place that has reoccurring episodes of strangles. If a place does have it, it's a place you want to avoid. New horses should be quarantined from the rest of the horses but it rarely happens. In a best case scenario you'd be able to identify and contain an infected horse before introducing it to the rest of the herd.

Agree on the quarantine. :howdy: Even with no health issues involved, it helps the horse adjust to its new surroundings before being put out with the other residents. In the old days when we boarded at other facilities the quarantine stables were usually a good distance from the main barn and, while it was a pain to be so removed, we understood the necessity. :flowers:

ponyperson

Wildhorse- I missed part of the conversation...are you looking for a small pony? I know of a large pony that seems to be very nice and gentle that is under $2000 but she cribs. How do you guys reply to a specific quote?

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
appyday said:
go to the post and person you want to quote...hit reply with quote and type your quote under that....
Appy your so helpful....but you forgot, you can hit quick reply and check the "Quote message in reply?" box below the quick reply box. :biggrin:

You going up to the expo? I'm gonna try to go over to the fellow's house with the Rocky Mntn horses next saturday and ride a full brother to one of the fillies i'm looking at. I'm considering 2 solid blacks or a chestnut w/flaxen mane/tail and tons of chrome. Beautiful...all three. Know of any Peruvian or peruvian crosses available?

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
appyday said:
So now you want a Peruvian and not a Paso Fino??

Hows your colt??

I'm looking for gaited, not really breed specific, but i do like peruvians better than hot little pasos, and I really like Bubba. I Just looked on Dreamhorse for some peruvians, they're outta my price range for an 'ole trail horse. :lol:

I still want to go see the Kentucky mtn/paso cross in Wesminster (Dreamhorse ID 710835) but so much to do with Rottncop home today. And you can't really go with can you?

Chase is doing GREAT. He's getting Blue Seal Vintage Senior, and no more coughing/choking with it, his appetitie is back to normal. I just finished taking him and Blitz for trail/stream walks and we're all soaked :lol:

Still waiting to hear from the lady looking at the POA, she's checking out shipping stuff. I need to sell that one before i bring a gaited mare home anyway, so i can take my time. I'm going to the Expo, suppose to be some good gaited seminars there.

SlowTwist

(]~o~[)
happyappygirl said:
Chase is doing GREAT. He's getting Blue Seal Vintage Senior, and no more coughing/choking with it, his appetitie is back to normal. I just finished taking him and Blitz for trail/stream walks and we're all soaked :lol:

Hey Happy, I am having an appetite issue with my 23 y.o. Tb. She isn't underweight or anything, although I do like her fat. She's on TC senior- one scoup 2x a day. She doesn't finish the scoup. Sounds like you're happy with Blue Seal? Do you recommend?

W

WildHorses

SlowTwist said:
Hey Happy, I am having an appetite issue with my 23 y.o. Tb. She isn't underweight or anything, although I do like her fat. She's on TC senior- one scoup 2x a day. She doesn't finish the scoup. Sounds like you're happy with Blue Seal? Do you recommend?

Hi, know you asked Happy, but thought I'd put in my two cents worth if you don't mind. :flowers: I use Blue Seal senior for all my seniors and they love it. Was using TC and some would refuse it or leave a bit in their feeders. Nothing left over now. My seniors are all over 26. :howdy:

SlowTwist

(]~o~[)
WildHorses said:
Hi, know you asked Happy, but thought I'd put in my two cents worth if you don't mind. :flowers: I use Blue Seal senior for all my seniors and they love it. Was using TC and some would refuse it or leave a bit in their feeders. Nothing left over now. My seniors are all over 26. :howdy:

Awesome, thanks Wildhorses. I absolutely don't mind! :howdy: She's been on the senior for about a year and a half. I don't usually like to switch feeds very often but I do worry about her now that she's a bit older. Where can I find Blue Seal? Is it pelleted or textured?

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
Blue Seal Vintage is listed as food for horses that are older, prematurely aging, of those that have teeth or other mouth/throat issues as well. The pellets are HUGE compared to other feeds, and they drop less just because it's bigger. The bag is bigger (and my big metal trash cans which usually hold 3 bags of pellets only holds 2 blue seal), and the cost is also roughly double that of the regular pelleted diets. As far as appetite issues, both that i have it on are gobbling it up, but i only just started getting it so i can't yet vouch for weight gain or maintenance yet-i want the preggie mare to gain some additional weight, and the others bully her off the hay, so she needs the complete feed. My daughter used it for her older morgan and she got super tubby really fast on it, so she feeds only about a 1/4 a scoop of the stuff for a 15.1h morgan mare built like a freesian. Hope that info helps. Oh and the Hen yard (Stauffers) sells it.
Appy, 1500-2k MAX for me. (POA is 1800 so i want to keep it around that range). I'd also like to RIDE it before i buy it, since it will be my trail horse to keep up with you and Rottncops shufflin' Appy boy.

W

WildHorses

SlowTwist said:
Awesome, thanks Wildhorses. I absolutely don't mind! :howdy: She's been on the senior for about a year and a half. I don't usually like to switch feeds very often but I do worry about her now that she's a bit older. Where can I find Blue Seal? Is it pelleted or textured?

I get mine from Stauffer Feed Mill (Hen House) behind Loveville Leather. It's Elam's brother and there is a road that goes directly from Elam's to the feed mill. :howdy: It's neither pelleted nor textured, it's more in the form of corn pops, for lack of a better description. :flowers:

SlowTwist

(]~o~[)
WildHorses said:
I get mine from Stauffer Feed Mill (Hen House) behind Loveville Leather. It's Elam's brother and there is a road that goes directly from Elam's to the feed mill. :howdy: It's neither pelleted nor textured, it's more in the form of corn pops, for lack of a better description. :flowers:
Cool, will check it out next time I'm down there... Thanks again! :flowers:

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
Will you fly me to FL so i can ride that one? :lol:

Isn't the Hilachas bloodline a terrific trail horse bloodline?

I'm going to try the black Rocky mountain horse next weekend, and prolly the one i emailed you, the Paso/KM cross mare. If i can get the fellow over here saturday, with the KMs do you want to ride over your way? He may come over for me. he wants you to see his gelding, he needs another opinion to tell him if his is Paso. I think it's pure paso. sure is a cute little gelding.

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
appyday said:
We can meet at Greenwell if you want..good place to try a gaited horse..I will take 2 or 3.

OK I'll call him Wed to confirm, and will post, to see if anyone else wants to go. Maybe D. will want to come along too weather permitting. I'm excited!! I like the colored mare, but haven't seen her move at all yet. If i like the black gelding he brings me to try, I'll go back over to his place to watch the fillies move. Won't buy until i ride the KM/Paso mare in Westminster though.

Hey got some decent hay at the auction. some folks are going up on their bottom line prices just to see if they can get it, and the hay is sitting there. No one will bid the minimums some folks are asking. It's AWFUL the prices they are trying to get for plain 'ole orchardgrass.