Loud boom that shook house

snowygirl

Anyone in Prince Frederick area just heard a loud boom. I just heard one and it shook my house. I live near the Benedict Bridge

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
Look south towards Lusby. Is there a mushroom cloud?

Might have been someone out of PAX, they announced a couple weeks ago that some flights were going to go supersonic over the next few weeks. Although doing it so close to the new Southern Marylanders would be unusual.

dave20

I live in the Huntingtown area and I heard the loud boom and the house shook. Sounded like it was off to the SW down the river somewhere. At first I thought it was thunder. Pax river?

snowygirl

I live in the Huntingtown area and I heard the loud boom and the house shook. Sounded like it was off to the SW down the river somewhere. At first I thought it was thunder. Pax river?
Ok good I thought I was hearing things. Pax River makes sense.

KingFish

Nothing to see here
I heard it too in Saint Leonard. Thought it was a long thunder rumble.

dave20

sPEED OF SOUND BROKEN
That makes sense. It's been over 60 years since I have experienced the sound of the sound barrier being broken. I grew up in the shadow of Andrews AFB and can remember in the late 50's early 60's hearing the jets over our homes. I loved watching them and once in a while one would break the sound barrier. They later changed the flight path and prohibited the pilots from breaking the barrier. Guess they broke too many windows.

ginwoman

That makes sense. It's been over 60 years since I have experienced the sound of the sound barrier being broken. I grew up in the shadow of Andrews AFB and can remember in the late 50's early 60's hearing the jets over our homes. I loved watching them and once in a while one would break the sound barrier. They later changed the flight path and prohibited the pilots from breaking the barrier. Guess they broke too many windows.
I remember it in the late 60's and the 70's. My parents explained what it was so I didn't give it a second thought. Our windows would rattle. Also in downtown Hollywood, MD we could hear Dahlgren explosions too. Plus we were near the creosote plant on 235. We had it going on!

NewsJunky

We had a loud blast yesterday at around 6pm in Mechanicsville. Didn't hear an airplane flying.
Have no idea what it was but it was loud and vibrated the house.

NewsJunky

I spent a couple years out at Edwards AFB and know what a sonic boom sounds like. It could have been that but I didn't hear any jet engines at all.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
For your consideration ...

^That^ In the US an aircraft has to be above 30,000 feet unless in special airspace or have specific approval by FAA to go supersonic.

Doesn't the 'speed of sound' change at higher altitudes due to the thinning of the air?

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Doesn't the 'speed of sound' change at higher altitudes due to the thinning of the air?
It is more a function of temperature. Higher temperature, higher speed required to generate the shock wave. At 30,000 feet the speed needed for the boom to hit the ground would be 750 MPH at ground level. Also that wave will propagate about 1 mile per every 1,000 feet of altitude, which is why many people never see the plane or hear engine noise.