Lowes 'Military' discount

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
I'm a REMF. 9 years USAF Reserve, but without me, the planes didn't fly.
I helped build and maintain runways.

Last edited:

glhs837

Power with Control
I was given a a business card sized 214 that folds open to carry in my wallet along with all my other discharge paperwork. I have never carried it, but I easily could.
Personally I could care less about most Veteran discounts.

Given the thousands I have spent in Lowes in the last ten years between rehabbing the old house when we turned it into a rental and the money spent on taking the current house out of the 80s, tht discount has saved me silly amounts of money.

black dog

Free America
Given the thousands I have spent in Lowes in the last ten years between rehabbing the old house when we turned it into a rental and the money spent on taking the current house out of the 80s, tht discount has saved me silly amounts of money.

I'm not knocking anyone for taking a discount, myself I'm just not big on using any discount just for being a Veteran.
The discount at Lowe's in the 80's and 90's for employees ( I don't remember with Veterans ) was 2% over cost.
My ex sold kitchens for Lowe's for 15 years or so. I gutted a 1880's balloon frame then.

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
I'm not knocking anyone for taking a discount, myself I'm just not big on using any discount just for being a Veteran.
The discount at Lowe's in the 80's and 90's for employees ( I don't remember with Veterans ) was 2% over cost.
My ex sold kitchens for Lowe's for 15 years or so. I gutted a 1880's balloon frame then.

In the 2000's the employee discount became 10% under the lowest price available to the regular customer and 10% over cost on special orders.
That changed 5 - 6 years ago to 10% across the board.

Lowe's has also gone to a straight price match policy, no more price plus 10%.

glhs837

Power with Control

I know what you mean. Wife wants me to use it at fast food places, and I refuse. Seems silly to seek a discount on such small purchases.

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
As of the week of Jan. 2, military customers must enroll either online or in-store to receive the 10% military discount.
The over ride function at the cash registers, which allowed you to get a discount by showing your ID card will be deleted.

Lowe's is now forcing you to register.

glhs837

Power with Control
Finally got mine done a couple of months ago, and it's been a good thing. I keep the MyLowes card on my phone in an app called Keyring that stores all the barcodes. When the scan that barcode, it attaches my discount. That wont scan at self checkout, but thems the breaks.

awpitt

Main Streeter
As of the week of Jan. 2, military customers must enroll either online or in-store to receive the 10% military discount.
The over ride function at the cash registers, which allowed you to get a discount by showing your ID card will be deleted.

Lowe's is now forcing you to register.

So what? Don't have enough stuff to complain about?

I registered and got my card eight months ago. Very easy.

As they always say, "A b!tching sailor is a happy sailor".

littlelady

God bless the USA
So what? Don't have enough stuff to complain about?

I registered and got my card eight months ago. Very easy.

As they always say, "A b!tching sailor is a happy sailor".

Uhhh....spr was trying to be helpful. He works at Lowe’s. :gossip: You are welcome. I guess you missed that. Happy Monday, aw!

Last edited:

Clem72

Not true..

A vet that served 3 years in the 80 did not get a discount..

NOW that vet can somehow prove he served 2 years 30 years ago (through his MyLowes card) and can also get the discount.

Normally those vets don't have any kind of ID that proves they are a vet (unless they are medically retired, for example) and most people don't carry around their 214.

You know, like the majority of those who were drafted and served in Vietnam but didn't decide to stay in it for the long haul if they were lucky enough to come home in one piece and with all their marbles still in the bag.

awpitt

Main Streeter
Uhhh....spr was trying to be helpful. He works at Lowe’s. :gossip: You are welcome. I guess you missed that. Happy Monday, aw!

Helpful with what? I signed up. Gave my ship out date and my discharge date off of my 214. The Website pulled the info and I got my card a week later. Can't get much simpler than that. BTW, this registration requirement info has been out for almost a year now. It's nothing new.

littlelady

God bless the USA
Helpful with what? I signed up. Gave my ship out date and my discharge date off of my 214. The Website pulled the info and I got my card a week later. Can't get much simpler than that. BTW, this registration requirement info has been out for almost a year now. It's nothing new.

OK. I just thought you came across as a bit harsh. :smile:

glhs837

Power with Control

I think he was just trying to give out a simple reminder that End is Nigh for procrastinators like me :)

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron

:daehkcid:

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
I think he was just trying to give out a simple reminder that End is Nigh for procrastinators like me :)

You win the patented Stan Lee No Prize! :yay:

Yes, a reminder, plus Lowe's had not announced before last week that the manual discount entry was going away completely..

OldHillcrestGuy

I just found out last month at the Veterans Resource Day they had at SoMd Higher Learning place that if you served anytime in any branch of the service whether retired or did your 2-3 years and got out you can go to the DMV (at least in Md) with your DD214 they will make you a new license that says Veteran on it for no charge. That way you don't have to have a 214 on you to get a discount at different places.