Lowes 'Military' discount

awpitt

Main Streeter
I just found out last month at the Veterans Resource Day they had at SoMd Higher Learning place that if you served anytime in any branch of the service whether retired or did your 2-3 years and got out you can go to the DMV (at least in Md) with your DD214 they will make you a new license that says Veteran on it for no charge. That way you don't have to have a 214 on you to get a discount at different places.

Yep. I did this when I renewed my license back in July. The information is on the MVA Website plus there was reference to it in the renewal notice. So now, my license has a Veteran designation under the picture.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may...

This is not new - Lowes and HD have been giving the 10% to any ID holder for about at least 6-7 years. The only thing new about it is that you now must have a My Lowes account instead of just showing your ID. All you need to do is sign up online, and either use your phone # or a keycard to get the discount. Nothing new to see here......

Contraire I do say. Ostensibly, Lowes, as they will tell you to, "extend our gratitude", gives the 10% discount because current active duty service members and veterans deserve and earned it. However, what once was freely given by Lowes will now have to be paid for by active duty military service members and veterans, in addition to the current holders/users of the Lowes card who are already paying for it.

How you say? Well, it's right there in the "Terms and Conditions" of the MyLowes(TM) card brochure they hand out to get you to sign up, where is explicitly states, "Your acceptance of this CARD represents your express consent to allow Lowe's to record all transactions you make while using the CARD. And on their website, "Tracked Purchases. Lowe’s will track all of the purchases that you make online while logged into your Account or in a Lowe’s store when you present your MyLowe’s Card or the phone number associated with your Account. These in-store and online transactions are called “Tracked Purchases.” And you don't own the data, "Tracked Purchases. You acknowledge and agree that Lowe’s owns all the data and information concerning your Tracked Purchases, but subject to the Additional Terms, Lowe’s may make your Tracked Purchases available to you for viewing through your Account. Lowe’s will continue to own all of the data and information concerning your Tracked Purchases even if your Account is deactivated for any reason. Emphasis mine.

And they tell you why right here, "By becoming a Registered User, you agree and opt in to receive general and targeted advertising, marketing materials and other communications, including email from Lowe’s and its subsidiaries and affiliates."

So you see, current service members and veterans will now be paying for that 10% discount by way of, targeted advertising, Lowes marketing revenue, data sharing with manufacturers, data sharing to the highest bidder, basically monetizing data collection of their customers buying habits. Over time, I bet they could figure out the size of, and style of, your house and property acreage.

Personally, I say f*ck Lowes for treating military member and veterans this way. Want to give a military/veterans discount? Do so with no stings attached. That, is definitely something new.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

Kind of a bump ....

So, what will be new for 2018 at Lowes? In addition to current, MyLowes(TM) card holders and users, having every transaction recorded, tracked and monetized, the same will now apply to those active duty military service members and veterans that, having now, with no other option come Jan 5th 2018, to sign up for a MyLowes(TM) card, wishing to receive a 10% discount. The question now begs, is it worth a 10% discount to have your purchase history data collected, tracked by item, sold, (or shared as they would say) to you, the past and present, war fighter? That many loath big brother doing the same, myself included, in an unauthorized fashion, ostensibly to get the bad guys, will you now look upon Lowes in a different light? I would wager that those civilians whom have sign up for this card, did not fully realize what they were signing up for and giving up. Just curious. Also, wondering if this affront our military members and veterans, to having to give up autonomy for a discount, will get any play in the media, or sanctions against Lowes, from the myriad of military support and veterans organizations?

black dog

Free America
Any time you swipe a card, a company somewhere is data mining who you are, where you are at and what you bought...In this day and age to think that's not happening is silly.
I'm sure when Lowe's data mining points that 70% of the Veterans buy more 15/32" OSB than anything else every Oct and Nov they will email, text or mail all the Veterans a discount coupon for 15/32" OSB the next year in late Sept.

PeoplesElbow

Any time you swipe a card, a company somewhere is data mining who you are, where you are at and what you bought...In this day and age to think that's not happening is silly.
I'm sure when Lowe's data mining points that 70% of the Veterans buy more 15/32" OSB than anything else every Oct and Nov they will email, text or mail all the Veterans a discount coupon for 15/32" OSB the next year in late Sept.

Last year I paid for a knife on credit card at Home Depot, a few months later I get a recall notice in the mail about said knife's lockback mechanism....

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Update on Lowe's military discount...it has been lessened in effect. Now, the system is set to give you the "best" discount.
The military discount will no longer stack on top of sale prices, so-called "new lower price," clearance, manufacturer's % off...
You will get the 10% if it is a better discount than any of those. It looks like the 5% for using the Lowe's credit card will still stack.

This is from a picture of the signage I saw on a Lowe's discussion board...

Lowe's systems will now enforce our rule against stacking additional discounts to promotional-priced items, including but not limited to: Contractor Pack, Buy in Bulk, Special Value, New Lower Price and Was:Now.

Lowest Minimum Retail Price indicates that all discounts have been applied to price of the item and are reflective in the final price displayed on the receipt.

This impacts all discounts and coupons, except the employee discount and credit discount offers such as Lowe's Credit 5% Off Every Day discount.

Editor

somd.com Editor
Staff member
PREMO Member
Patron
Do you think Lowe's corporate is on these forums?
Actually, there are companies which scan online forums and look for product complaints and then advise the company and/or seek to do damage control. However, we blocked the known bots since all they do is consume our resources and return no value to us.

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Another new Lowe's...all of our in house assemblers and janitorial staff were terminated yesterday.
These services will now be performed by local 3rd party companies, just as our deliveries have been the past year or so..

I've read elsewhere that lead time for having anything (BBQ grill, shelving/cabinets, unpacking a lawn tractor...) assembled for pickup or delivery will now be 10 - 14 days instead of 3.

Also, our dedicated desk for picking up internet orders is no more. Those folks were transferred to either the customer service desk or cashiering.

Lowe's kept this real hush-hush, only the Wall Street Journal managed a report today.

BTW, I'm now a cashier as my ADA accommodation was deemed permanent.

PeoplesElbow

Wonder if Ellison took a pay cut to help control costs?

Funny thing is I had heard that the both the Lowes and Wal-Mart stores in St. Mary's Co. were some of the best financially performing stores in the USA for each company respectively.

I predict that in 10-20 years customer service will become so bad that local and regional-owned stores will once again dominate the market and they will value both their employees and customers. Perhaps, they'll be employee owned.
Menards is expanding into new markets, Lowes better watch out, people in the midwest really like Menards.

littlelady

God bless the USA
Another new Lowe's...all of our in house assemblers and janitorial staff were terminated yesterday.
These services will now be performed by local 3rd party companies, just as our deliveries have been the past year or so..

I've read elsewhere that lead time for having anything (BBQ grill, shelving/cabinets, unpacking a lawn tractor...) assembled for pickup or delivery will now be 10 - 14 days instead of 3.

Also, our dedicated desk for picking up internet orders is no more. Those folks were transferred to either the customer service desk or cashiering.

Lowe's kept this real hush-hush, only the Wall Street Journal managed a report today.

That is wrong. Sorry this happened to you. You are such a good guy. :huggy: Wish you the best.

nutz

I didn’t see mentioned that the military discount no longer applies to internet orders (it does not) What really stinks is places like Lowes changing CS type policies before they notify their customers., You also now have to present your military ID, not just phone number.

General Lee

Unfortunately, as I do like working for Lowe's and our customers, they are not going about change in a manner that raises confidence for the long term.

I was in Lowes the other day, and saw a younger fella trying to hide and take a stand up snooze in the tool section. When he saw me he woke up a little and moved on. After a few minutes he managed to get a sentence out, asking if I needed any help. No, I'm good thank you. I had no faith in his knowledge even if I needed help. Most of those have no business giving tool and home improvement advice.

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
I was in Lowes the other day, and saw a younger fella trying to hide and take a stand up snooze in the tool section. When he saw me he woke up a little and moved on. After a few minutes he managed to get a sentence out, asking if I needed any help. No, I'm good thank you. I had no faith in his knowledge even if I needed help. Most of those have no business giving tool and home improvement advice.
You are a BAD costumer. You should of gone to the lawn and garden area and got him a lawn chair/recliner.