Lunch on base?

edinsomd

I was told they have pizza too, your list is pretty accurate

Yes, usual fare one would expect from a bowling alley grill. Good list of sides and apps, too. My go-to lunch is either a cheese burger or chicken tender basket with fries. Onion rings are an option, but I choose to be kind to my cube mates.

wubbles

Time?

Anyone know what time does Blue Wind truck comes to the old McD's?

From whenever they get there and they serve until 2pm. I think they're up and running by 11. I stopped by today for a buffalo chicken sandwich which was delicious. They had a bunch of different kinds of wraps, I remember one that was turkey and one that was rockfish. They also had salads, soup and chips available. Cans of soda too but you're probably better off at the gedunk or vending machine in your building if you have one.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
From whenever they get there and they serve until 2pm. I think they're up and running by 11. I stopped by today for a buffalo chicken sandwich which was delicious. They had a bunch of different kinds of wraps, I remember one that was turkey and one that was rockfish. They also had salads, soup and chips available. Cans of soda too but you're probably better off at the gedunk or vending machine in your building if you have one.

Thanks. I get tired of that everyday. :ohwell:

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I mean that only for soda and chips. You're not gonna get a better soup, salad, sandwich or wrap this conveniently. I'm afraid I won't be able to resist going back again next week.

Gotcha. I stick to plain black tea.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
So, does MWR charge all of these food trucks a fee to sell food on the base? They have River's Edge, the cafeteria at 2272, and Eddie's in several buildings. Seems like these food trucks would take away from their business.

We had a gut truck down at Webster Field and NEX not MWR ran him out of business.. The fees they wanted (monthly) ate up most if not all of his profits at least to the point it wasn't worth the effort anymore.

So no gut truck.. Eddies (NEX) is the only game on the base..

Don't you love free market and competition??

FED_UP

We had a gut truck down at Webster Field and NEX not MWR ran him out of business.. The fees they wanted (monthly) ate up most if not all of his profits at least to the point it wasn't worth the effort anymore.

So no gut truck.. Eddies (NEX) is the only game on the base..

Don't you love free market and competition??

I always thought Eddies was part of MWR, they drive in MWR vehicles and I always see them enter MWR building at Pax near the barracks. The NEX just has some vending machines as far as I know.

NTNG

Remember when squadrons here at Pax, as well as Navy wide, had "Geedunks"? When the NEX mafia figured out how much the squadrons were pulling in for their MWR programs, they died a quick death...

glhs837

Power with Control
Remember when squadrons here at Pax, as well as Navy wide, had "Geedunks"? When the NEX mafia figured out how much the squadrons were pulling in for their MWR programs, they died a quick death...

VX-1 still has one, so does VX-20. HX-21 never had one since at least the 90s when I worked there. VX-23 had one through the mid 2000s at least.

Clem72

VX-1 still has one, so does VX-20. HX-21 never had one since at least the 90s when I worked there. VX-23 had one through the mid 2000s at least.

There's a well stocked one in 2109 as well. Basically anywhere there is an enterprising person willing to make regular runs to BJs/Costco for 50 to 100% profit. The geedunk in our San Diego office regularly did ~$100 a day in soda/snacks/candy and the lady that ran it expanded into several other offices and could surely have made a full time job of it, if she didn't have a fulltime job with benefits already.

glhs837

Power with Control
There's a well stocked one in 2109 as well. Basically anywhere there is an enterprising person willing to make regular runs to BJs/Costco for 50 to 100% profit. The geedunk in our San Diego office regularly did ~$100 a day in soda/snacks/candy and the lady that ran it expanded into several other offices and could surely have made a full time job of it, if she didn't have a fulltime job with benefits already.

So does 2185, but I was soley addressing the squadrons.

glhs837

Power with Control
You talking just vending machines.
Years ago the had a chef.

No, an actual room where they sell stuff. Not just machines. No cooking, no, but geedunk encompasses a variety of things. Generally not vending machines, though.

and I'm enjoying some Blue Wind Crab/corn chowder. Damn tasty, got a hunk of crab the size of my thumb :) Looking forward to the turkey/bacon wrap.

So_what

Yes I'm an MPD, But who's
FRC, (AIMD), hngr. 301 has a geedunk run by the sailors. They bring in fast food in the mornings and lunchtime. Chick fil a, Taco Bell, Wawa etc. Also frozen breakfasts and lunches :shrug:

NTNG

When I posted about the Geedunks, I meant ones that had grills and would actually make burgers, breakfast burritos etc. I was in VQ-4 years ago, we had a lady named Sue that ran the place during the day. A few years later it was staffed by sailors. Air Ops had one, as did AIMD. Our Sailors and Marines do burger burns and sandwich sales to fund the kids Christmas party, and other MWR functions, but otherwise its vending machines.

Clem72

When I posted about the Geedunks, I meant ones that had grills and would actually make burgers, breakfast burritos etc. I was in VQ-4 years ago, we had a lady named Sue that ran the place during the day. A few years later it was staffed by sailors. Air Ops had one, as did AIMD. Our Sailors and Marines do burger burns and sandwich sales to fund the kids Christmas party, and other MWR functions, but otherwise its vending machines.

That's a bit different than the way the term geedunk has always been used in my experience. Usually means an on your honor system supply of snacks and drinks that crops up in an area where there is no quick access to vending machines or other officially sanctioned food options.

First one I ever used was on the railhead at MCLB Barstow. Unloading cargo at the ass end of the base, and only given two 15 minute breaks and a 30 minute lunch (that was strenuously enforced) meant you either packed a lunch and stored in your locker where it melted, or you bought from the geedunk in the supervisors office (air conditioned MILVAN).