Lunch on base?

glhs837

Power with Control
That's a bit different than the way the term geedunk has always been used in my experience. Usually means an on your honor system supply of snacks and drinks that crops up in an area where there is no quick access to vending machines or other officially sanctioned food options.

First one I ever used was on the railhead at MCLB Barstow. Unloading cargo at the ass end of the base, and only given two 15 minute breaks and a 30 minute lunch (that was strenuously enforced) meant you either packed a lunch and stored in your locker where it melted, or you bought from the geedunk in the supervisors office (air conditioned MILVAN).

Yep, and that's why I said geedunks vary. Land based squadrons (and persistently based pointy nose types like VX-30 and VX-23 and training commands) like P-3s and C-130s that have a hangar to themselves do set up more elaborate ones. But the kind where actual cooking happens are a dying breed everywhere. Between increased regulation and dropping extra manning it's really hard to justify using that much manpower on breakfast burritos and sliders.

PeoplesElbow

VX-1 still has one, so does VX-20. HX-21 never had one since at least the 90s when I worked there. VX-23 had one through the mid 2000s at least.

VX-23 still does, the cooking happens outside or elsewhere. They finally moved out of that old falling down trailer. They bring in pizza, chick-fil-a, etc.

I remember VX-20 having one in 2000 but it disappeared not long after that.

MWR/NEX made the geedunks raise their prices about 8-10 years ago.

glhs837

Power with Control
VX-23 still does, the cooking happens outside or elsewhere. They finally moved out of that old falling down trailer. They bring in pizza, chick-fil-a, etc.

I remember VX-20 having one in 2000 but it disappeared not long after that.

MWR/NEX made the geedunks raise their prices about 8-10 years ago.

Yeah, it was gone for a while, but there is one now, limited hours.

glhs837

Power with Control
Someone did mention they would be on base, I wonder what kind of schedule and where besides ATC tower.

- Blue Wind Gourmet - Located at the McDonalds building, operating 1030 to 1400 Monday - Friday.

- Nicolletti's - Located at Building 2186, operating 0600-1400 Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday. Starting December 21, this food vendor will be located at H2816 on Wednesdays, operating 0600-1400.

- Myra's New Orleans - Located at Building 306, operating from 1100-1400 on Mondays. Located at Building 2187, operating from 1100-1400 Tuesday to Thursday and every other Friday (due to compressed work weeks).

Although I have no idea where 2186 is.

Clem72

2186.jpg

FED_UP

- Blue Wind Gourmet - Located at the McDonalds building, operating 1030 to 1400 Monday - Friday.

- Nicolletti's - Located at Building 2186, operating 0600-1400 Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday. Starting December 21, this food vendor will be located at H2816 on Wednesdays, operating 0600-1400.

- Myra's New Orleans - Located at Building 306, operating from 1100-1400 on Mondays. Located at Building 2187, operating from 1100-1400 Tuesday to Thursday and every other Friday (due to compressed work weeks).

Good info. Looked up Myra, couple photos on yelp, they have alligator dogs, yummy.

Last edited:

FED_UP

Someone must have copied your post, we just got that email today. So you must have gotten the email before us.

FED_UP

Anyone been to bldg. 2186 for Nicolletti's 6 am food truck, will it be worth a trip? Always thought that was just lunch/dinner place out in town.

Last edited:

BernieP

Resident PIA
The base Food Court is closing?

I hadn't heard that till just now. :sad:

I had not heard closing, but renovations / expanded options?

Q: What's the number one problem on base?
A: Parking, at most buildings parking is at a premium.

So while I appreciate the food trucks, if it's not outside my building, it really doesn't make send for me to drive there, to park, stand in line and then drive back.
Frankly I'm tired of eating at my desk and our office smelling like a mash up of leftovers.
We have a mouse / rat problem and eating here is only making it worse.
What a choice, feral cats living under your building or rodents.

BernieP

Resident PIA

Building 2186 is on Ranch Road, sort of next door / behind the new control tower (Ranch and Saufly Roads)

Not sure what H2816 is, could be a typo, not showing on the base map.

Building 306 is the first hangar down from 2185 on Tate Road.