Lynch Interview

crabcake

But wait, there's more...
Originally posted by vraiblonde
Just who, exactly, is she "selling out" - considering you haven't even seen the interview or read the book yet?

You are right, I haven't seen the interview or read the book yet. But I have a hard time imagining that the subject of her unit members will not come up.

I suppose, really, it's just as bad if they don't get or aren't brought up. She didn't get where she is (or was in the desert) alone. I would just like to see more respect/attention/whatever the word is that's not coming to me now paid on those who lost their lives. What about them? They aren't here to tell us what happened. They can't say, "hey, wait, Lynch was cowering under the bench in the back of the truck while we shot at the enemy soldiers approaching and took fire and died so she could only be captured and not killed ... " She should feel free to portray herself as a POW (she was, after all), or an injured soldier or just somebody who wanted to make something of themselves from west virginia. But to portray herself as a "hero" would be inappropriate, IMO. (and THAT was my original beef with the girlie). :wink: Wear your medals, salute your flag, but don't accept an honor you didn't really deserve.

Elle

Happy Camper!
I see Jessica Lynch in the same light I see Charles Moose. A terrible thing happened, so now lets capatilize on it. Her book I heard on the news is not only about her tour in Iraq, but her life growing up in WV, blah, blah, blah, if she didn't want the limelight to me she would dedicate the book to the memory of those that served with her and shared in her experience there. Yes she didn't ask for the media attention but has she asked to be left alone, personally I don't know b/c you know what, I don't care.

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
Originally posted by tys_mommy
I see Jessica Lynch in the same light I see Charles Moose. A terrible thing happened, so now lets capatilize on it. Her book I heard on the news is not only about her tour in Iraq, but her life growing up in WV, blah, blah, blah, if she didn't want the limelight to me she would dedicate the book to the memory of those that served with her and shared in her experience there. Yes she didn't ask for the media attention but has she asked to be left alone, personally I don't know b/c you know what, I don't care.
Then why did you tell us?

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
Okay, I'll throw this out. Where are you dissenters getting all of your information on what Miss Lynch thinks of herself, why she is doing this, what she hopes to gain, etc. For the life of me, I really haven't heard the poor child speak more than a few words.

Pete

Repete
Originally posted by cariblue
She's not the first "hero". I don't recall anyone ever standing up and saying "I'm a hero", it just happens.

You're right, they are "made" by the media. I have a question. Does anyone remember the names of the other POW's who were liberated? I doubt it, with the possible exception of Shashawna Johnson. Why is Lynch so much more a public phenom? She is female, young cute and white and it makes a good story, the whole teacher thing.

I personally don't think she is doing anything wrong. If I were hounded, like I suppose she has been by every network and offered more money than I had ever seen before and all I had to do was sit and talk, I would be in the chair in a second.

I do however think the mainstream media should be ashamed that "Lynch" is the only name out of the 7 that we all know.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Originally posted by cattitude
Okay, I'll throw this out. Where are you dissenters getting all of your information on what Miss Lynch thinks of herself, why she is doing this, what she hopes to gain, etc. For the life of me, I really haven't heard the poor child speak more than a few words.
Thank you. I've never heard Jessica Lynch utter the words "hero" in connection with herself. I've heard the media vultures do it - when they're not castigating her for "mis-representing" her story (a story she hasn't told yet, btw).

K

Kizzy

We all would. Some of us just wouldn't admit it.

:clap: I don't think she is "selling out" whatsoever. The press came to her, not the other way around. If somebody wanted to tell my life story and pay me, I’d pull up a chair and start talking away.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
What the heck, all she is doing is telling her story. Rescued by special ops boys, could be interesting. Lost in Iraq, interesting. Firefight against overwhelmingly superior number of opposing forces, interesting. What would have happened had they not rear-ended that other truck? Interesting. I might read it. She is out of the Army now and she can do as she wants. I haven’t heard her say she was a hero, don’t think she is, but then again I haven’t heard her story.

There will be other stories too. Other people will have experiences that will make hers seem a footnote to what went on over there. They will tell them, hers just happens to be first.

Christy

b*tch rocket
Originally posted by crabcake
Personally, if it were me, I'd be too embarrassed at my own unit's mistakes/failures to want to drag them and the deceased members of it (and their surviving family members) into the limelight so I could make a buck or two, but that's just me. :ohwell:

I guess the Black Hawk fella's that got blasted out of the sky in Somalia should be embarrassed and ashamed too for writing books, making movies. :rolleyes: Every Vietnam Vet that's ever told their story should just zip it. :rolleyes: We should also silence those blow hard WWII Vets. Hell they all knew full well what they were getting into when they got shipped off.

I personally would like to hear her story. She's not said but a few words in public since she's been home, and even then she appeared very uncomfortable in the spotlight.

crabcake

But wait, there's more...
tell you all what ... I'll be happy so long as she denounces this "heroic" role the media has crowned her. I think a lot of it has to do with the media's spin on things. It's her 'zipped lips' thus far saying "hey, I'm not the hero here; the guys who rescued me are the heros." I have read so many stories about that unit, and like someone else mentioned, what about the single mom? What about the guys we saw who were blown away on that video? In my opinion, anyone who steps up to the plate and dons the uniform is a hero (in my book), but to continue to play this up like she was the sole reason there was anything positive to come from her unit is a little sickening to me.

Perhaps some of my aggravation with the whole mess should be directed at the media because they've played it up, but she hasn't done much to correct things until this upcoming book deal and interview. As a taxpayer, I shouldn't think the "truth" should have to come at a price. :ohwell:

and DoWhat ... I heard she's engaged so I'm sure if she isn't "putting out" yet, she will be in the future :wink: