Mail Fraud - Stolen Checks!

TPD

the poor dad
Last month, I had 5 checks stolen out of the mail system, more than likely at the Capitol Heights mail processing facility. One of those checks was altered and attempted to cash for more than $14,000! Luckily my bank caught it and called me before clearing it. The other 4 checks never showed up to the vendors I was paying, nor were they tried to cash by anyone else. Unfortunately it has been a lot of headaches for me, closing my checking account, opening a new one, and issuing new checks and begging the vendors not to add late charges. One of the stolen checks was to SOMD Online for my ads - luckily Vrai didn’t charge me interest or put me on the naughty list. I’m still fighting with QuikBooks to set up my new account for my employees direct deposit of paychecks.

The manager at my bank told me he had 5 other businesses In this situation the same week as me. I was telling a fellow business owner about my situation and 3 days later he had the same thing happen - someone attempted to cash one of his checks for more than $9,000. My daughter did a notary last week for another of our local businesses with the same issue - $7,000 check stolen out of the mail and tried to cash.

I‘ve called USPS and filed a report but doubt anything will happen. I will try to call SMC Sherriffs office this week to See if there is anything they can do. I think this is all part of the bigger plan to foster more distrust in the postal service and force us into all digital banking so the government can more easily track ALL of our financial transactions.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
It's probably part of the "NEW IRS" operation.

They gotta bail out those Gender Studies Doctorates with someones money.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
They ought to keep a close eye on their employee's on-line presence and posts. :whistle:

TPD

the poor dad
Looks like theyre focusing on business checks.
In my case, the checks that were stolen were the ones in my own check window envelope where it’s obvious it’s a check inside, which is why it’s mainly business checks stolen. Any checks I returned in the envelope provided by vendor, ie SMECO, Verizon, arrived to the vendors on time and cashed as normal.

4AFA8EFF-45DA-4E2E-AAB9-8D584EC1F98C.jpeg

Last Friday, I was talking with a local business owner, (3 Calvert businesses). He said he had his business tax checks stolen and forged for a rather large sum of money. He's only a few doors from the Post Office and like you said, they are sent to Cap Pistol Heights for processing. The USPS is hot on the trail (hahahahahahahahahahahah) as are the Calvert County Sheriffs.

Looks like theyre focusing on business checks.
Business tax checks meaning written to/mailed to the IRS?

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
@TPD I've been a part of this same conversation twice in the past couple of weeks. The churches in the county are getting hit and businesses are getting hammered. One story I heard has a local business with over $100,000 in missing checks. Allegedly this has been referred to the FBI so you know this will receive top notch attention.
topmen.jpg

direxpgw

Had 3 business checks as fraud past week alone. In my case, someone completely fabricated fake checks using a scan of my signature and the correct routing/account numbers. Checks were similar but slightly different. Then they were deposited into a chase account using their image to deposit system. Seems simple to prosecute since deposited into the perps account but i dont think law enforcement puts too high a priority on it. In each case i was able to get my bank (PNC) to reverse since caught early. But talking to alot of friends with local businesses and finding the same things happening to them. Getting to the point where banks are setting up online systems for businesses to pre authorize valid checks and automatically deny others. Low lifes never cease to amaze me. They are not being prosecuted so there is no deterrent.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Sounds like someone at the USPS, which means we'll be reading about them in the news before too much longer.

• Haha
Reactions: BOP

LightRoasted

If I may ...
For your consideration ...

Betting this is a coordinated effort to discourage check writing, create fear, to transition to a digital currency negating the need for checks anymore. Or for cash either.

Clem72

Last month, I had 5 checks stolen out of the mail system, more than likely at the Capitol Heights mail processing facility. One of those checks was altered and attempted to cash for more than $14,000! Luckily my bank caught it and called me before clearing it. The other 4 checks never showed up to the vendors I was paying, nor were they tried to cash by anyone else. Unfortunately it has been a lot of headaches for me, closing my checking account, opening a new one, and issuing new checks and begging the vendors not to add late charges. One of the stolen checks was to SOMD Online for my ads - luckily Vrai didn’t charge me interest or put me on the naughty list. I’m still fighting with QuikBooks to set up my new account for my employees direct deposit of paychecks.

The manager at my bank told me he had 5 other businesses In this situation the same week as me. I was telling a fellow business owner about my situation and 3 days later he had the same thing happen - someone attempted to cash one of his checks for more than $9,000. My daughter did a notary last week for another of our local businesses with the same issue - $7,000 check stolen out of the mail and tried to cash.

I‘ve called USPS and filed a report but doubt anything will happen. I will try to call SMC Sherriffs office this week to See if there is anything they can do. I think this is all part of the bigger plan to foster more distrust in the postal service and force us into all digital banking so the government can more easily track ALL of our financial transactions.

Assuming they are trying to cash these checks at banks, I don't see why they haven't caught them? Wearing a hat and facemask and walking up to the bank on foot rather than drive?

Used to be you couldn't wear a mask in a bank, even for religious reasons.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
For your consideration ...

Betting this is a coordinated effort to discourage check writing, create fear, to transition to a digital currency negating the need for checks anymore. Or for cash either.
Or it could be low IQ affirmative action hires being too greedy to resist free money. Let's face it, they would probably keep their job AND get a promotion. Anything else would be Ray's cyst.

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
Assuming they are trying to cash these checks at banks, I don't see why they haven't caught them? Wearing a hat and facemask and walking up to the bank on foot rather than drive?

Used to be you couldn't wear a mask in a bank, even for religious reasons.
Unless they are using an app to make the deposits and transferring the funds out as soon as possible. 🤷

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
Just saw a warning from the Evans Sheriff Department so my question for those of you who have had this happen is: Have all the instances come from the same local Post Office? If so, the person taking the checks is probably there and not the processing center.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
Calvert County is flagging it too. Sounds like a coordinated ring.