Mammogram in St Mary's

I go to St. Mary's Hospital. They have all the "new" equipment now. Great experience, I mean, considering you are having your boobs smashed. Had one done in December of last year. No pain and results back very quickly.

My "Magic age" referral is still sitting in my purse from months ago...guess I should dust it off and make an appointment. :ohwell:

JULZ

BFJ
Any recommendations for a specific place to get a mammogram? Is it done at the hospital or do some doctors offer this at their office? I would travel to Calvert (no further than Prince Frederick) if needed.

I went to the hospital for mine, little wait time and very friendly and gentle techs.

Suz

33 yrs & we r still n luv
I go to the Bean bldg as well. They have all of the up to date technology as does everyone else.

I believe the most import thing is:
Pick a place to get it done and don't be changing around.

It's a PITA to retrieve records and films from different places over years time if something questionable does come up years down the road.

D

dems4me

If you do go to Calvert, I wouldn't recommend the imaging place by the Hospital for a mammogram. Can't think of the name right now. Go to the one off of West Dares Beach Rd. by Safeway. I'm sorry, I'm not much help on that name either, I don't have my phone book handy. I've had 2 good references to the place near the Safeway since I mentioned my experience at the one over by the hospital.

I had an xray of my ribs at that place several years ago, and it was fine. But the mammogram, I did not have a good experience and would not recommend them.

I disagree I've had mine done at the place next to the hospital in Calvert for the past three years. I've had no problems. They even send me a notice every year reminding me to schedule the next one. I call get a reference number, get it done, then they mail me my results. I dont even really go through a doctor and my insurance does pay for it. I'm always in and out and its a done deal until next year. Not sure about "magic age" or even what age that would be, but I started mammos when I was about 30, insurance paid for it without any problems. Hope that helps! :buddies:

C

CalvertNewbie

I disagree I've had mine done at the place next to the hospital in Calvert for the past three years. I've had no problems. They even send me a notice every year reminding me to schedule the next one. I call get a reference number, get it done, then they mail me my results. I dont even really go through a doctor and my insurance does pay for it. I'm always in and out and its a done deal until next year. Not sure about "magic age" or even what age that would be, but I started mammos when I was about 30, insurance paid for it without any problems. Hope that helps! :buddies:

If you don't mind me asking, who are you insured through? Sounds like a company who is good about being proactive.

D

dems4me

If you don't mind me asking, who are you insured through? Sounds like a company who is good about being proactive.

Its been through three actually. I started off with BlueCross BlueShield a while ago at one job, then recently year before last it was Unicare and then we switched at work and then went with Cigna. All three were fine if that helps any :shrug:. Not sure if family history has anything to do with it or not on whether its a problem with insurance. That might be why I've never had any problems though. I don't know :shrug:

Jameo

What?!
Its been through three actually. I started off with BlueCross BlueShield a while ago at one job, then recently year before last it was Unicare and then we switched at work and then went with Cigna. All three were fine if that helps any :shrug:. Not sure if family history has anything to do with it or not on whether its a problem with insurance. That might be why I've never had any problems though. I don't know :shrug:

My insurance covers mine also and I'm under the "magic" age

C

CalvertNewbie

Thanks, my doctor said most insurance companies won't cover the cost until the patient is 40 but will sometimes make exceptions if there is a family history. Last year, cancer took my Dad's life & nearly took my Mom's so I'm trying to be proactive. Wasn't breast cancer but the thought of any type of cancer now scares the hell outta me.

Honestly, I have no real reason for concern. I just went to her for a physical and asked what types of tests I should think about having done. Now that we have a baby who just turned 6 months, I want to be as healthy as possible so I can hopefully stick around for a while. Trying to not be a hypochondriac though. :lol:

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member

I'm glad you had a good experience, I was just shocked at the difference between there & the one I'd had prior. But, it could be the technician, too. I think that makes a big difference sometimes.

I get 1 free mammogram per year. And I have a high deductible major medical insurance plan (no copays) through Carefirst BC/BS.

surfer1

If you do go to Calvert, I wouldn't recommend the imaging place by the Hospital for a mammogram. Can't think of the name right now. Go to the one off of West Dares Beach Rd. by Safeway. I'm sorry, I'm not much help on that name either, I don't have my phone book handy. I've had 2 good references to the place near the Safeway since I mentioned my experience at the one over by the hospital.

I had an xray of my ribs at that place several years ago, and it was fine. But the mammogram, I did not have a good experience and would not recommend them.

The one by safeway is called Patuxent Imaging. Not sure if they have Digital though!