Man alone in the children’s section

JoeRider

Federalist Live Forever
The B&N employee effed up, pure and simple.

No, you do not have the right to get someone removed from the premises just because "he creeps me out".

It's funny how both the right and the left are so willing to erode, remove and generally piss on everyone else's personal liberties to fit their ideals.

The only personal liberties at risk are the ones lost to PC.

Toxick

Splat
If the guy was looking for a book, I doubt he would have been asked to leave, there is some creepy part of this that is not being shared.

So I ax it again: have we changed the parameters of the argument from "Men shouldn't be alone in a childrens section" to "Men behaving suspiciously shouldn't be alone in the children's section"?

Because I have no argument with this.

Men != Suspicious men*.

*For the uninitiated, "!=" means "not equal"

Toxick

Splat
sorry but I am a big fan of profiling. It works.

I'm not a fan of profiling. At least not on this kind of a scale.

For instance, when profiling for junkies, you're obviously going to have more success finding them if you eyeball younger low-income types, rather than middle aged upper management types. If you're profiling for terrorists, you'd probably yield more success when you eyeball religious zealots rather than, say, professional athletes.

But if you're profiling for pedophiles and your criteria is: "has a pecker", I doubt your search field is narrow enough to be effective. You're basically casting a suspicious eye over a full half of the population indiscriminatly. That's absolutely assinine - it's too wide a net. There are simply too many men who are not pedophiles. You have to use better judgement than mindlessly assuming that anyone with balls is a sexual predator.

I have zero tolerance for zero tolerance.

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
The only personal liberties at risk are the ones lost to PC.

So it's now PC to to kick people out of a store because they give you the heebeejeebees, and you are defending it like someone is coming for your guns.

rpgreene

I'm not a fan of profiling. At least not on this kind of a scale.

For instance, when profiling for junkies, you're obviously going to have more success finding them if you eyeball younger low-income types, rather than middle aged upper management types. If you're profiling for terrorists, you'd probably yield more success when you eyeball religious zealots rather than, say, professional athletes.

But if you're profiling for pedophiles and your criteria is: "has a pecker", I doubt your search field is narrow enough to be effective. You're basically casting a suspicious eye over a full half of the population indiscriminatly. That's absolutely assinine - it's too wide a net. There are simply too many men who are not pedophiles. You have to use better judgement than mindlessly assuming that anyone with balls is a sexual predator.

I have zero tolerance for zero tolerance.

But in this case the security guard noticed a bulge coming from the fellows pants so he had the right to examine the evidence and make a quick judgement.

Toxick

Splat
But in this case the security guard noticed a bulge coming from the fellows pants so he had the right to examine the evidence and make a quick judgement.

I'm not arguing about this case.

I'm arguing against the previous assertion that "No man should be allowed alone in children's areas".

... An assertion that seems to have suddenly been abandoned in favor of the non-insane "Suspicous acting men should be tossed" - which, incidentally, I have no beef with.

JoeRider

Federalist Live Forever
So it's now PC to to kick people out of a store because they give you the heebeejeebees, and you are defending it like someone is coming for your guns.

I love how this get twisted. IMO PC is allowing someone that makes you feel uncomfortable to keep being obnoxious. Great example is people who seem to think it is ok to use their cell phone in the public bathrooms.

Not sure what was said to Dr. Perv, but the store has a choice about what and who is hanging around it. I defend that choice when it is reasonable. Sounds like it was.

In my college days, I saw the crap that my black friends went though at some of the clubs we went to (like no access at the door or bartender would not serve them drinks). This does not compare to that and even though I was with them when that crap was going on, I learn from them that there are things that are important to make an issue out of and there are things not to. This would be one of those "not".

If he really felt like he was done wrong he should have ask for the manager or told the person that he was looking for a book for his grand kids. Instead, he made it an issue which seem to me to indicated that he is a jerk and probably deserved it.

My guess is the store had just cause when they confronted him. B&N knows that in it's best interest they should leave this one along, for if they push the issue, even if they are right, it will only tarnish their name.

BTW, PC means not to offend another so called party. Obviously, kicking a Perv out is not PC, which I support.

BTW, it is rude for you to take cell phone calls in public. He should have went to his car if it was that important.

Last edited:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
It makes perfect sense that someone would go into the children's section to make a phone call because it's quieter.
:rolleyes:

You people are ####ed in your heads.

JoeRider

Federalist Live Forever
It makes perfect sense that someone would go into the children's section to make a phone call because it's quieter.

Like I want to bring my kid into the kids section to look at books when I can see that some Dr Perv is having an animated phone call talking to someone about the latest gut disease.

Lurk

Happy Creepy Ass Cracka

I wonder if a world-renowned parasitologist ever gets a phone call from some developing country (or Mississippi) in which a discussion of symptoms includes "bloody flux", or "festering skin rash" or even "sloghing of the nose" and other publicly-appropriate (read: ooogy) things.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Like I want to bring my kid into the kids section to look at books when I can see that some Dr Perv is having an animated phone call talking to someone about the latest gut disease.

And my thought is just the opposite: like I want to make a phone call in a kids section with screaming brats running around.

I'm sorry, this guy was suspicious and the clerk or whoever was right to tell him to beat it. If he were browsing for books, no problem and I would say that the B&N people overreacted. But he wasn't.

hvp05

Methodically disorganized
This conversation is entertaining.

I presume that since he has been called Dr. Perv repeatedly that his record of child abuse/molestation convictions has been made public. Or at the very least that he is confirmed to have been doing odd things in that section of the store.

Where to next? Banning lone men from playgrounds? Parks? Kids go to restaurants so those should be off limits too. Anything to make sure they're safe and protected!

C

czygvtwkr

Damn I was in Walmart electronics one day and had to bust ass pretty bad so i wandered over to an isle that didnt have anyone in it and dropped it. It turned out to be the toy isle, didnt realize that was creepy, also didnt realize that the woman that turned down the isle was there....

MMM_donuts

Give me a realistic scenario where a lone adult man might visit a playground.

Just gonna throw this out there but I'm training for a Spartan race (8 mi, 20+ obstacles) at the end of summer by stopping at the playgrounds during my runs. I know it has to look really strange but no one ever asks me about it. And, not only do I not have children with me - I don't have children period.

Hank

my war
Just gonna throw this out there but I'm training for a Spartan race (8 mi, 20+ obstacles) at the end of summer by stopping at the playgrounds during my runs. I know it has to look really strange but no one ever asks me about it. And, not only do I not have children with me - I don't have children period.

perv :coffee:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron

Okay, so you are dressed in sports clothing, actively working out on the playground equipment (and don't let anyone tell you you cannot get a good workout on a playground). That would not alarm me. But if you were just standing around by yourself on a playground, I would think you were there for ill purpose.

Like I said, if the B&N guy was actively browsing the books I doubt he'd have attracted attention. Any normal person would have thought he was buying a book for a kid or grandkid. But that's not what the guy was doing, and therefore he was suspicious.

So no, we do not need to ban men from places where children congregate, but their behavior should be in context with where they are and not just loitering.

JoeR

Like I said, if the B&N guy was actively browsing the books I doubt he'd have attracted attention. Any normal person would have thought he was buying a book for a kid or grandkid. But that's not what the guy was doing, and therefore he was suspicious.

Actually in the article above posted by JoeRider it says he was looking at books when his phone rang. I think the problem is when he sat down by the windows to talk on his phone. So if he was still looking through the books and talking at the same time it would have been ok with this lady customer that reported him? If this is the case than B&N should post a sign stating no males without children are allowed in the childrens section. I would fall into this catagory if I ever went to buy something on my own for my grandkids. I better know exactly what I want or I have to leave the area if I need to call the wife or daughter to make sure I'm getting the right book.