Many cutting the cord on cable/satellite

H

Hodr

And I cant see why you would buy that when a new ChromeCast will only set you back $35 all day long at Wally World?

WAF - Wife Acceptance Factor (substitute mother-in-law if necessary). The Roku has a very easy menu system and a simple remote and no requirement for a tablet/smartphone/etc. Same with the FireTv /FireTV Stick.

I have had pretty much every major media player (Roku 1/2/3, FireTV & Stick, Apple TV, Google TV, Chromecast, WD TV Live, Smart TVs, Smart Blu-Ray players, Xbox 360, PS3/4, home built HTPCs running Kodi/Plex/Windows Media Center, Chinese Android HDMI sticks [like the MK808B+], and probably more that I forgot).

The one that I always found to be the least acceptable to the family as a whole is the Chromecast, while the one that no one ever has an issue using is the Roku. I'm sorry, but you need to have a remote and you need to have some basic apps that just work.

My wife, my mother, my father, and my mother in law all have only ever been comfortable with the Rokus and to a lesser extent Amazon/Apple boxes.

I have been slowly acclimatizing them to the XBMC/Kodi interface so I can be more device agnostic in the future, but it's a long row to hoe.

If it were just me, I might be happy with a Chromecast, but I would be happier still with some of the others. And in case you were unaware, you can "cast" from several of those other devices or run DLNA directly from your phone. Heck, I can cast from my Chinese Android stick, use MiraCast (and other device mirroring standards), and it also lets me connect PS3/PS4 controllers over Bluetooth and runs several emulators (NES/SNES/TG-16) flawlessly, all for $29 shipped.

Last edited by a moderator:

glhs837

Power with Control
I understand, the WAF factor is why we run Harmony remotes. I'll look into the DLNA streaming, since the PS3 likes that.

PeoplesElbow

I never understood what the allure to the sticks were, I mean yea if they didn't need a power supply they would be a lot more useful in my eyes.

I have a Roku 2 and an Amazon Fire TV and they are both excellent. I got one of these mounts for them so they hang right off the back of the TV.

http://www.amazon.com/TotalMount-TM...&qid=1446761593&sr=8-1&keywords=roku+tv+mount

I needed the Roku 2 for my Toshiba TV because for some stupid reason Toshibas have a problem with the HDMI properly handshaking with devices and the Roku 2 has an AV output also.

H

Hodr

I never understood what the allure to the sticks were, I mean yea if they didn't need a power supply they would be a lot more useful in my eyes.

Many newer TVs have a powered USB port on them (heck, my Olevia TV from 2005 has one). It's not such a big deal when you can just plug the stick in to the TV with a 6 inch cable.

The FCC has reportedly voted to approve the new set-top box rule which would force cable companies to allow customers to watch TV programming purchased from those companies through devices other than the set-top boxes that they've traditionally made people lease. So, e.g., if you pay for Comcast TV service they have to set it up such that you could use your Roku (or something like it) to watch that programming, rather than having to have 3 Comcast set-top boxes in your house.

One more step toward removing the traditional content bundlers from the equation, or at least significantly changing the role that they play in how most people get (and pay for) their video content.

I'll post an article when I see one with much substance.

EDIT: The FCC just took the first big step toward changing the cable box business

Last edited:

somdfunguy

not impressed
Anyone have comments/thoughts about ATSC 3.0? From what I have read, it sounds like a lot of nice features. Not looking forward to the purchase of new equipment though.

Dakota

~~~~~~~
The FCC has reportedly voted to approve the new set-top box rule which would force cable companies to allow customers to watch TV programming purchased from those companies through devices other than the set-top boxes that they've traditionally made people lease. So, e.g., if you pay for Comcast TV service they have to set it up such that you could use your Roku (or something like it) to watch that programming, rather than having to have 3 Comcast set-top boxes in your house.

One more step toward removing the traditional content bundlers from the equation, or at least significantly changing the role that they play in how most people get (and pay for) their video content.

I'll post an article when I see one with much substance.

EDIT: The FCC just took the first big step toward changing the cable box business

This is actually pretty huge and something I have desired for so long. I am happy to see a decision be made that favors the customer. :cheers:

Dakota

~~~~~~~
3.0 isn't backwards compatible like 2.0, so the switch over ought to go about as smoothly as the transition from analog OTA to digital. If every TV made, starting today, supported it I would still give it 10 years before we actually flip the switch, and when they do there will still be 10's of millions of grandparents that don't understand why their TV just went dead.

I have become addicted to COMET TV and the stupid B movie crap that they air. It is so damn cheesy it is entertaining beyond belief.

And I like MeTV with Ghoolie Sven on Saturday night. This past Saturday they had "The Wolf Man" from 1941.

SamSpade

For those who did cut the cord --

Did you find the need to upgrade your Internet connection?

Our household keeps adding - - over time - - more Internet ready devices, and I'm beginning to worry that if I completely cut the cord, I'm going to have to up my speed and upgrade my wireless.

somdfunguy

not impressed
Ive had 25-150 mbps and never had an issue at any speeds. An HD stream is about 5-7 mbps. Your better option is to wire where you can. WiFi is typically the issue not bandwidth. Check out MoCa if you can't run Ethernet.

Our household keeps adding - - over time - - more Internet ready devices, and I'm beginning to worry that if I completely cut the cord, I'm going to have to up my speed and upgrade my wireless.

Radiant1

Soul Probe

We use WiFi with an extender and the only time we might have an issue is if the three of us are trying to stream video at the same time.

Dakota

~~~~~~~
I gave my son my Roku stick and ordered the Amazon Fire stick with voice command... After I get a chance to play with it, I'll post an update.

It is supposed to do all the Roku stick does but faster. I shall see...

PeoplesElbow

I gave my son my Roku stick and ordered the Amazon Fire stick with voice command... After I get a chance to play with it, I'll post an update.

It is supposed to do all the Roku stick does but faster. I shall see...

Not quite, there is a new Roku stick just released that is much more capable. I got a fire TV stick w/ voice on black friday for my mom for $35 (I think) and it has a really great interface but doesnt allow you to use Google Play content and sometimes Google Play is cheaper for certain movies compared to Amazon.

I would recommend one of these so you dont need a separate power supply. http://www.amazon.com/TVPower-Power...42966&sr=8-3&keywords=fire+tv+stick+usb+cable

Dakota

~~~~~~~
Not quite, there is a new Roku stick just released that is much more capable. I got a fire TV stick w/ voice on black friday for my mom for $35 (I think) and it has a really great interface but doesnt allow you to use Google Play content and sometimes Google Play is cheaper for certain movies compared to Amazon.

I would recommend one of these so you dont need a separate power supply. http://www.amazon.com/TVPower-Power...42966&sr=8-3&keywords=fire+tv+stick+usb+cable

Hey thanks for the recommendation.... this is good to know. The Roku stick I had gave me barely enough cord to plug it in (this TV is hung rather high because it is in a bedroom) and I am hoping the Fire Stick is a tad bit longer but if not... I have a solution. :yay:

PeoplesElbow

I started my 7 day free trial of Sling TV and after one day I have to say that I am pretty impressed. I have chosen the FOX owned channel package vs the Disney owned channel package and it even comes with the local Fox 5 station. https://www.sling.com/service/compare

Metrocast's most recent mailing about encrypting their signal and requiring a set top box was the last straw, you get a free box for two years, doesn't say after that. I also dont want another damn box to have to hook up to the bedroom TV, that's why I bought a TV with a built in DVD player.

I also got the new Roku stick for my bedroom TV, it is quite a bit faster than my older Roku XS on the living room TV.

I also got a Time Warner login ID (parents cable) so that I can watch ESPN.