Many cutting the cord on cable/satellite

SamSpade

I was just looking at Playstation Vue the other day - and when I typed in my zip code, it told me, lucky you, it's in your area. Yee-ha.

Has anyone tried it? If it had just a few more channels, it would be perfect. I hate the fact that at least ONE major network - CBS - has resisted almost any effort to re-broadcast anything of theirs, at any price.
But it's given me reason to think, a few Fire TV sticks and I've got almost the same thing as Metrocast.

Clem72

I was just looking at Playstation Vue the other day - and when I typed in my zip code, it told me, lucky you, it's in your area. Yee-ha.

Has anyone tried it? If it had just a few more channels, it would be perfect. I hate the fact that at least ONE major network - CBS - has resisted almost any effort to re-broadcast anything of theirs, at any price.
But it's given me reason to think, a few Fire TV sticks and I've got almost the same thing as Metrocast.

CBS is trying to sell their own service, but you can game the system. Have an HTPC, or moderately fast older computer lying around? Put PlayOn on the system and use it to record/stream CBS shows from their website (to your fireTV stick or Roku even). Works with Hulu also, so you don't need to subscribe to Hulu+ (saves 8 bucks/mo) and can auto-skip commercials if you record the shows rather than stream them live.

For some reason a few CBS shows are only streamed in a lower quality, but most are pretty good.

PeoplesElbow

Cancelled metrocast today, here is one of many reasons people hate cable companies. I am paid up until the 28th two days from now, Metrocast can not send anyone out to disconnect me until June 5th so I have to pay for cable until June 5th, meanwhile I am dropping their equipment off tomorrow the 27th.

I think I am going to give them a hard time about that, it is their problem that they cant disconnect me when I want to be disconnected, not mine.

Radiant1

Soul Probe
Cancelled metrocast today, here is one of many reasons people hate cable companies. I am paid up until the 28th two days from now, Metrocast can not send anyone out to disconnect me until June 5th so I have to pay for cable until June 5th, meanwhile I am dropping their equipment off tomorrow the 27th.

I think I am going to give them a hard time about that, it is their problem that they cant disconnect me when I want to be disconnected, not mine.

That's bs. I disconnected one week after paying them for the next month. The customer rep told me I owed them money. I was on the phone for 15 minutes teaching him math and explaining why they owed me a credit. I finally got my credit but that may be because I was keeping internet service and not deleting the entire account.

PeoplesElbow

That's bs. I disconnected one week after paying them for the next month. The customer rep told me I owed them money. I was on the phone for 15 minutes teaching him math and explaining why they owed me a credit. I finally got my credit but that may be because I was keeping internet service and not deleting the entire account.

I have to hand it to the local Metrocast office, when I turned in my DVR the girl asked me about paying my remaining balance. I told her I wanted to talk about that since I am paid up until the 28th, she said oh then we own you $3. The guy at the billing center in PA told me I would owe $15 because they couldn't turn me off until June 5th.

NIU_Huskies

I started my 7 day free trial of Sling TV and after one day I have to say that I am pretty impressed. I have chosen the FOX owned channel package vs the Disney owned channel package and it even comes with the local Fox 5 station. https://www.sling.com/service/compare

I also got the new Roku stick for my bedroom TV, it is quite a bit faster than my older Roku XS on the living room TV.

I also got a Time Warner login ID (parents cable) so that I can watch ESPN.

Good choice on Sling TV. I dropped my Verizon triple play package because there were too many extra fees (tv box, broadcast fees, etc) that added up. I kept just Internet and subscribed to Sling TV via T-mobile and get the service for $13.99 as opposed to $19.99.

As for Watch ESPN, as long as you login and verify your account with their app you will still get access even after you drop your cable tv package. I still have ESPN, ESPN2, and ESPNU through Watch ESPN despite dropping my cable tv package last year.

NIU_Huskies

Now, as far as the firestick, you were right. The Roku has way more options. Since this stick is in our bedroom, we really don't watch TV that often in there so I'm leaving it as is. Typically we turn it on and watch something OTA for a few minutes and turn out the light.

Look into putting Kodi on your Fire Stick (an application that last I knew was not available for Roku devices). You will be able to watch movies that are still in the theaters, almost any sports game (even ones that are only available through regional sports channels), and the latest tv shows (yes, even premium channel shows).

Dakota

~~~~~~~
Look into putting Kodi on your Fire Stick (an application that last I knew was not available for Roku devices). You will be able to watch movies that are still in the theaters, almost any sports game (even ones that are only available through regional sports channels), and the latest tv shows (yes, even premium channel shows).

Are you a user?

I find you have to obligate yourself to a bit of annoyances with Kodi. I messed with it when it was known as XMBC and I do have the newer version on my firestick. It is GREAT with the fusion add-ons for listening to the radio and various fire & ems scanners… that I do enjoy and sometimes I get lucky with a show or movie but when you get an interruption in signal, that can be annoying and it does happen…. BUT I will say that my recently field trip playing it with is much better than the previous XMBC days.

Clem72

Just wanted let people know that doing this technically isn't above board. However unlike torrenting where you are also uploading the file you are downloading, you are much less likely to get caught using a streaming service. But because these links are illegitimate the quality is usually poor, and the scraper plugins for Kodi that are primarily used to view these links are often buggy and unreliable.

I only bring this up because many re-sellers and Chinese video box sellers heavily promote the "free" content, so often times people are not aware they are doing anything wrong or that the box they buy will be unsupported and unworkable in the near future.

Though anyone willing to go through the steps to install and configure Kodi on a FireTV/Stick probably isn't worried about the amount of work required to keep the plugins functional and has the technical chops to work through any bugs.

For me, I prefer things that just work (and in higher quality) and have zero potential to get me in trouble, so I will stick with Netflix/Hulu.

But if you were to go this route, I would suggest getting a dedicated router that works with OpenVPN (DD-WRT, OpenWRT, and Tomato firmware support VPN client mode) and configuring it for dedicated use with a non-logging VPN service.

somdfunguy

not impressed
I love Kodi, but do not use it for streaming anything from external sources. I've converted all the dvds and blurays to disk. This is a lot easier with the kids and no damaged discs.

Some like Plex, but this has less requirements and uses less power.

I've converted all the dvds and blurays to disk.

I've done that too, but only DVDs. BluRay takes up too much space and the gain isn't worth it. I'm already up to 6 TB in just DVDs. I use a Western Digital Streaming Media Player (no longer available) to view the movies.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
We can't get that. Verizon did send someone out to estimate the cost of upgrading us to fiber late last year. We were all excited about that possibility until the estimate came in...44 thousand dollars. ;-(

We just now are getting Cable ran to our house..

When we first moved in to the new house they gave us an estimate of $6800.. then they built a neighborhood across the street(about 3 years ago), and brought Cable to them, estimate dropped to $4500.. last week they came out and the estimate dropped to $1100.. we are finally joining the 21st century, just to find out everyone else is ditching cable

BUT we will FINALLY have internet at the house and no longer depend on our phones for data and internet.

I haven't played COD World at War online in 6 years.. has much changed?

Christy

b*tch rocket
We just now are getting Cable ran to our house..

BUT we will FINALLY have internet at the house and no longer depend on our phones for data and internet.

I haven't played COD World at War online in 6 years.. has much changed?

If I were you, I would forego the actual cable tv package and just get the highest speed internet that they offer. I am a tv junkie and I have not missed having metrocast cable at all. I get my HGTV, FX, AMC, History, and Nat Geo using the Sling TV app. I use Hulu for my regular tv shows like Gotham, The Middle, etc.. HBO Now for Game of Thrones, Netflix has a ton of original programming, as well as Amazon Prime. Even with paying for all of those, it is still cheaper than what I paid for Metrocast Cable tv.

SamSpade

For those with Amazon Prime (Video) ----

We use it - sparingly. Mostly because for our viewing, it's because the order we check stuff. If it's on other things, we never get to Amazon Prime Video - unless we can't find it elsewhere.

THEN it's useful - if it ain't on the others, it's often on Amazon Prime Video, even though sometimes you have to pay.

THAT said - is there a way to ONLY allow the FREE Amazon stuff to stream? I know that to order anything you pay for, it requires a password, but if I'm going to open up stuff to my kids to use, I know they're smart enough and devious enough to figure stuff out. Like passwords. And my son doesn't seem to think it would be wrong for him to do it. Just, everyone ELSE.

I admit, it's irritating that you typically have to qualify stuff on Amazon specifically for "free" viewing - unlike Hulu and Netflix, for which there are no additional charges.

Can it be done? Can I configure Amazon to stream ONLY the stuff that's free?

PeoplesElbow

For those with Amazon Prime (Video) ----

We use it - sparingly. Mostly because for our viewing, it's because the order we check stuff. If it's on other things, we never get to Amazon Prime Video - unless we can't find it elsewhere.

THEN it's useful - if it ain't on the others, it's often on Amazon Prime Video, even though sometimes you have to pay.

THAT said - is there a way to ONLY allow the FREE Amazon stuff to stream? I know that to order anything you pay for, it requires a password, but if I'm going to open up stuff to my kids to use, I know they're smart enough and devious enough to figure stuff out. Like passwords. And my son doesn't seem to think it would be wrong for him to do it. Just, everyone ELSE.

I admit, it's irritating that you typically have to qualify stuff on Amazon specifically for "free" viewing - unlike Hulu and Netflix, for which there are no additional charges.

Can it be done? Can I configure Amazon to stream ONLY the stuff that's free?

Yes, you set a PIN to be required for pay content, in addition there is a category of "included with Prime"

Dakota

~~~~~~~
If I were you, I would forego the actual cable tv package and just get the highest speed internet that they offer. I am a tv junkie and I have not missed having metrocast cable at all. I get my HGTV, FX, AMC, History, and Nat Geo using the Sling TV app. I use Hulu for my regular tv shows like Gotham, The Middle, etc.. HBO Now for Game of Thrones, Netflix has a ton of original programming, as well as Amazon Prime. Even with paying for all of those, it is still cheaper than what I paid for Metrocast Cable tv.

You cut the cord?

Good for you :yay:

If Christy can do it, anyone can. :lol:

SamSpade

Yes, you set a PIN to be required for pay content, in addition there is a category of "included with Prime"

The interface we use - with our ancient "Wii" - has that, but for some reason an awful lot of categorization gets "undone" the more you refine a search.

I'll have to play with it. For a long time, they were randomly guessing passwords - and occasionally getting them right - and ordering movies and then not watching them.

Even on the website, they're constantly intermingling "free" stuff with pay stuff - unless you are very specific.

NIU_Huskies

Just wanted let people know that doing this technically isn't above board. However unlike torrenting where you are also uploading the file you are downloading, you are much less likely to get caught using a streaming service. But because these links are illegitimate the quality is usually poor, and the scraper plugins for Kodi that are primarily used to view these links are often buggy and unreliable.

I mostly use Kodi for the sports tv content. I am able to watch and follow my NIU Huskies (college), Chicago Bulls (NBA), White Sox (MLB), and Bears and Chargers (NFL) teams. I'm not from the area so being able to follow all my favorite sports teams is a must.

But yes, I also use a VPN client when doing many activities online, including general web browsing, online banking, etc.