Many cutting the cord on cable/satellite

HBO will begin offering HBONOW next month. It gives you access to all things HBO, to stream whenever you like, for $14.99 / month (contract free). That's about what it typically costs through satellite or cable TV providers, I think; but for HBONOW you don't have to have service from those kinds of providers.

HBO's CEO said yesterday that the new service will work exclusively with Apple devices to begin with, but I suspect it won't be long before it's available for other devices and on other platforms. For now though you'll be able to watch it on iPhones or iPads or through Apple TVs. At any rate, it's one more step in this same direction.

For those that do have Apple devices, you'll be able to get a free month if you sign up for HBONOW in April.

Showtime just announced that it will begin offering stand-alone service in July for $10.99 a month. I think that's cheaper than it typically costs as an add on to satellite or cable TV packages. One good thing I figured out about the way they bill the services (at least with HBO NOW but I'll assume with the new Showtime service as well) is that you can pay for it though, e.g., iTunes. That means the cost can be 20% lower if you want it to be because you can usually find iTunes gift cards selling at a 20% discount to their credit value. So you buy a $100 gift card for $80 and add it to your account and, in effect, any content you buy through iTunes is discounted by 20% from the stated cost.

EDIT: To add link to Showtime's announcement.

This is one channel I will pass on, sorry to say. When I had DirectTV and had every channel you could get, there was too many times that channels like HBO had zip on. Which was one of the reasons to drop Direct and save over 150.00 per month. I could see maybe 9.99 a month and that is stretching it. I watched it mainly for Game of Thrones. Just means I will have to wait for the DVD next year. But glad to see others are jumping on the wagon for cable cutters. Ala Carte is an ideal ave.

I'd agree when it comes to the real-time HBO channels. At any given time there usually wasn't much worth watching (or that I hadn't already seen) on them. But what's good about the way it works now, and has for a while, is that if you get the service you have access (e.g. through the on demand function or through Android or iOS apps) to all of their programming at any time. So I usually get HBO for a month once or twice a year and during that month catch up on the newest seasons of their shows - e.g. Game of Thrones, Veep, Newsroom, Silicon Valley. They typically have several pretty good series being made with new seasons being or having recently been released. It's pretty easy to justify the $12 or $15 to be able to watch all of them, especially when you can throw in a few movies or documentaries that might seem interesting.

Last edited:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Showtime just announced that it will begin offering stand-alone service in July for $10.99 a month. .

Here is what I want; pay TV. And by that I mean, you turn it on, have the guide page(s) the categories, sub categories, etc, sports, news, movies, weather, whatever, and you select and you pay, right on your bill or credit card. And have the ability to have your own channel, a la web page, searchable, etc, and let the cable company simple be renting you space simply based on how much of your content is being bought.

And let that stand next to traditional TV.

How many people would, say, select "NFL game, normal, replete with commercials"

or "NFL pay, starts an hour later, has zero commercials"

They both end at the same time, the second one simply having the commercial time cut.

The first one is free. The second one is, what, $1? $5? $2.50?

PeoplesElbow

Here is what I want; pay TV. And by that I mean, you turn it on, have the guide page(s) the categories, sub categories, etc, sports, news, movies, weather, whatever, and you select and you pay, right on your bill or credit card. And have the ability to have your own channel, a la web page, searchable, etc, and let the cable company simple be renting you space simply based on how much of your content is being bought.

And let that stand next to traditional TV.

How many people would, say, select "NFL game, normal, replete with commercials"

or "NFL pay, starts an hour later, has zero commercials"

They both end at the same time, the second one simply having the commercial time cut.

The first one is free. The second one is, what, $1? $5? $2.50?

Betting more like $25.

getbent

Thats how them b*tch's R
There's a lot of great info on here. We have recently been discussing getting rid of Dtv. I need to go through and see which shows we record to watch on a regular basis and if I can find them else where. I really don't want to have to wait for the season to be over to watch them. I can't find any options for The Walking Dead except wait for the series to be over. Unless I missed it. We have 3 TV's, all would need access and I never watch the shows when they air, always record and watch later. Anyone have a way of doing that? We pay $130 for the 2nd package Dtv has to offer. Downgrading our package would only save us about $20 :ohwell:

PeoplesElbow

There's a lot of great info on here. We have recently been discussing getting rid of Dtv. I need to go through and see which shows we record to watch on a regular basis and if I can find them else where. I really don't want to have to wait for the season to be over to watch them. I can't find any options for The Walking Dead except wait for the series to be over. Unless I missed it. We have 3 TV's, all would need access and I never watch the shows when they air, always record and watch later. Anyone have a way of doing that? We pay $130 for the 2nd package Dtv has to offer. Downgrading our package would only save us about $20 :ohwell:

You can watch the walking dead on amazon the very next day.

AMC is also available on Sling TV, if it only had the fox networks like FX and FS1 I would be in.

merc669

Amazon Prime has Walking Dead On Next Day. Just remember Prime costs per year. Not sure what right now. As far as Sling, they are or have heard they are still rounding up other networks. Whether Fox appears is unknown. But I agree, Fox/Fx would be great additions to Sling. I already have Sling Basic and the Movie addon with Epix. Its nice right now with the current choices I have....

PeoplesElbow

Amazon Prime has Walking Dead On Next Day. Just remember Prime costs per year. Not sure what right now. As far as Sling, they are or have heard they are still rounding up other networks. Whether Fox appears is unknown. But I agree, Fox/Fx would be great additions to Sling. I already have Sling Basic and the Movie addon with Epix. Its nice right now with the current choices I have....

Actually it is not part of prime, if you want it the day after it airs you have to pay for it. The entire season is like $30, which really aint bad because you own it and can watch it any time.

Showtime's stand-alone streaming service is now available with a 30-day free trial. I don't think there's an Android app yet, but there are iOS apps and you can use it through Roku, Apple TV, and computer browsers.

Showtime has some pretty good original series if anyone hasn't had a chance to check them out - Homeland, House of Lies, Nurse Jackie, Ray Donovan, The Affair, Penn & Teller, and others.

JeJeTe

Happiness
Actually it is not part of prime, if you want it the day after it airs you have to pay for it. The entire season is like $30, which really aint bad because you own it and can watch it any time.

So can you buy the series without paying for Prime? We watched all the seasons available on Netflix but they are about a season behind. So season 5 (the one the recently ended) will be available on Netflix in Sept when the new season starts.

getbent

Thats how them b*tch's R
So can you buy the series without paying for Prime? We watched all the seasons available on Netflix but they are about a season behind. So season 5 (the one the recently ended) will be available on Netflix in Sept when the new season starts.

I think you just need an Amazon account.

Misfit

Lawful neutral
http://www.cnbc.com/2015/09/08/nfl-game-pass-to-offer-season-and-pre-season-games-for-99.html

The NFL launched a subscription service Tuesday, part of a group of offerings designed to enhance the traditional television model.

Called the NFL Game Pass, the $99-a-year service will allow subscribers to watch regular season games on television as soon as they're over.

The pass app will also provide access to preseason games live, plus the ability to listen—with no accompanying video—to regular season games live. The app will include different camera angles and other exclusive content that's not available on traditional linear TV.

Dakota

~~~~~~~
Anyone running an OTA or cable connection using an xbox one??

I was wondering what your review is? and with the xbox interface, do you have access to Amazon, Netflix, and Hulu?

glhs837

Power with Control
So, use the PS3 for Neflix in the living room. Odd thing is that at least once per episode, not matter what we are watching,we will get a pause with the loading screen like it's buffering, but stops at 25%. Exit out back to the menu, hit starts, it runs throught 100% and the show restarts, but about a minute prior to where we left off.

JeJeTe

Happiness
So, use the PS3 for Neflix in the living room. Odd thing is that at least once per episode, not matter what we are watching,we will get a pause with the loading screen like it's buffering, but stops at 25%. Exit out back to the menu, hit starts, it runs throught 100% and the show restarts, but about a minute prior to where we left off.

My PS3 with Netflix does the exact same thing but not that often. Probably about once a week.

getbent

Thats how them b*tch's R
We got the Roku and the Roku stick. Still learning the ins and outs. We cannot get the stick to work upstairs. Every other device connects to the internet up there but this thing. Any ideas?