Marine discharged over online Obama comments

Bay_Kat

Tropical
Sorry if this was already posted. It's important to watch what you say on line. Even though most of what he said is true.

Washington (CNN) -- A Marine who used his Facebook page to criticize President Barack Obama has been discharged, a Marine Corps spokesman said Wednesday.

Sgt. Gary Stein was given an "other-than-honorable" discharge, said Capt. Brian Block, a spokesman for the Marines.

Among other comments posted to his Facebook page, Stein called Obama a liar and suggested he would not follow some orders issued by the president.

Marine discharged over online Obama comments - CNN.com

RPMDAD

Bay Kat, you are quick kid, was just getting ready to post the same thing, and saw your post.

Gummie

Enlisted oath

I, (NAME), do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So help me God.

I understand the enilisted man made a written statement on his facebook page that he would not follow orders given by Obama. Not a good idea, whoever the Commander in Chief happens to be.

glhs837

Power with Control
Enlisted oath

I, (NAME), do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So help me God.

I understand the enilisted man made a written statement on his facebook page that he would not follow orders given by Obama. Not a good idea, whoever the Commander in Chief happens to be.

In reality, it's actually a military persons duty not to obey orders that are not in accordance with the Constitution. Say orders to round up members of Congress, or wage war on law abiding citizens.

But he said, if I heard it right, that he wouldn't obey "unlawful" orders. A deciding what orders are lawful, thats a toughie. Barring simple cases like the ones I postulated, it would be very hard to claim to have the legality of any given order as something one person alone could decide.

Gummie

The other problem is the Hatch Act. If he posted the "political" comment while pictured in uniform, then it becomes a violation of the Hatch Act. One must learn to separate the personal/professional while in the military.

awpitt

Main Streeter
Enlisted oath

Good point. If one can't fulfill their oath, they shouldn't sign the contract and take the oath.

awpitt

Main Streeter
In reality, it's actually a military persons duty not to obey orders that are not in accordance with the Constitution. Say orders to round up members of Congress, or wage war on law abiding citizens.

But he said, if I heard it right, that he wouldn't obey "unlawful" orders. A deciding what orders are lawful, thats a toughie. Barring simple cases like the ones I postulated, it would be very hard to claim to have the legality of any given order as something one person alone could decide.

Senior enlisteds give lawful/unlawful orders. Officers give direct orders. There's a difference.

BOP

Sorry if this was already posted. It's important to watch what you say on line. Even though most of what he said is true.

Washington (CNN) -- A Marine who used his Facebook page to criticize President Barack Obama has been discharged, a Marine Corps spokesman said Wednesday.

Sgt. Gary Stein was given an "other-than-honorable" discharge, said Capt. Brian Block, a spokesman for the Marines.

Among other comments posted to his Facebook page, Stein called Obama a liar and suggested he would not follow some orders issued by the president.

Marine discharged over online Obama comments - CNN.com

Well, the Marine is white; ergo, he is racist.

:coffee:

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
What a dumbass.
It's one thing for a member of the armed service to say the POTUS is an idiot and it's another thing to post it on the internet

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer
He shouldn't have done it, that's just it. It is unfortunate he was discharged rather than just disciplined..is that a normal reaction? Or I wonder if there were other issues as well..

BOP

And yet, strangely enough, the young Marine did not (as far as any of us know) disobey any orders, lawful or not, of the Commander-in-Chief.

Shall we revisit people who have refused to deploy, citing the illegality of the President himself?

BOP

He shouldn't have done it, that's just it. It is unfortunate he was discharged rather than just disciplined..is that a normal reaction? Or I wonder if there were other issues as well..

You mean like his being a Tea Party member? I'm sure that had absolutely nothing to do with it.

:whistle:

The young Marine wasn't smart; should have kept his friggin' suck shut.

That being said, from what we do know about him and what he did, the punishment sounds more like retribution than correction of bad behavior. It's all out of proportion to his so-called "crimes."