Marines driven out of UAW lot

ylexot

Super Genius
The United Auto Workers says Marine reservists should show a little more semper fi if they want to use the union's parking lot.

The Marine Corps motto means "always faithful," but the union says some reservists working out of a base on Jefferson Avenue in Detroit have been decidedly unfaithful to their fellow Americans by driving import cars and trucks.

So the UAW International will no longer allow members of the 1st Battalion 24th Marines to park at Solidarity House if they are driving foreign cars or displaying pro-President Bush bumper stickers.
:burning:

itsbob

I bowl overhand
crabcake said:
My Isuzu was made in Illinois or Indiana. :shrug:
Honda Accord is the MOST American made car sold in the US.. and my Nissan was built in Tennessee..

crabcake

But wait, there's more...
vraiblonde said:
:yeahthat: And why shouldn't they display pro-Bush stickers? That IS their commander-in-chief! No different than UAW employees displaying pro-UAW stickers on their vehicles. :shrug:

Kind of ironic, if you think about it ... a liberal organization hindering freedom of speech. :lmao:

Pete

Repete
I think the point is even if it was assembled in the USA, the profit goes back to the "motherland".

Big labor has been freakish screaming biyatches for years anyway.

crabcake

But wait, there's more...
Pete said:
I think the point is even if it was assembled in the USA, the profit goes back to the "motherland".
But the person putting the car together here IS getting a paycheck; and that's what I care about. I have no problem with the parent company getting a few bucks for providing some of our guys with jobs here. Better than them paying their own folks and Japan getting ALL the profit while providing us with more (reliable) automobile options. :shrug:

Pete

Repete
crabcake said:
But the person putting the car together here IS getting a paycheck; and that's what I care about. I have no problem with the parent company getting a few bucks for providing some of our guys with jobs here. Better than them paying their own folks and Japan getting ALL the profit while providing us with more (reliable) automobile options. :shrug:
I am not arguing for the UAW, I think they are some of the biggest legal gangsters ever. Only pointing out how greedy they are. They don't have their hooks in the Imports like they do the big 3.

Lenny

Lovin' being Texican
And thus begins the race to the White House in 2009. UAW is starting the grenade lobbing a little early here but looks like the liberals are REALLY gonna push the FORTRESS AMERICA plank onto the Democrat platform.

No, my math is correct. The election is 2008 but the new tenant takes possession in 2009.

Sparx

crabcake said:

It's a shame. Other countries auto manufacturers are building here because we have cheaper labor, lower benefits, less unionization and they can fool all of you.

Pete

Repete
Sparx said:
It's a shame. Other countries auto manufacturers are building here because we have cheaper labor, lower benefits, less unionization and they can fool all of you.
:rolleyes: They are building here because of trade sanctions and tarrifs they can skirt by assembling the cars in North America.

You speak of "unionization" as if it is a requirement for any job to be legitimate. :rolleyes: Anything not union is automatically a sweatshop run by jackbooted thugs who gring the little man under their heel.

BTW is the Saturn plant in Tenn. still drawing the ire of the UAW because the employees continue to vote down unions?

Sparx

The Saturn plant in Tenn. has been UAW repsented since the begining. It's a joint labor management initiative that has proven to be an exceptional idea. Saturns only problem has been a management hold on new and inovative designs.

B

Bruzilla

I'm disappointed in the Marines. They should know that the M-1 Abrahams Main Battle Tank is made in America. They should park a few dozen of those on the lot, with Bush stickers on them, and challenge the UAW to a game of chicken. At a minimum, the weight of the tanks would crush the parking lot to pieces, then the Marines could keep the UAW tied up for years with a federal lawsuit. :whip:

janey83

Twenty Something
That's so stupid.....who cares what kind of car they drive? My dad drives a toyota, and a nissan before that...doesn't make him less of a loyal Marine and American. :rolleyes:

Railroad

Routinely Derailed
To blazes with the UAW. But they do have one element in their complaint that I agree with, and that is that we as Americans should try to buy American products as much as we can; an example would be buying a Harley rather than a Honda. Many, many things are unavoidable because that's all you can get (Japanese/Malaysian RAM chips for your computer and the like). I feel guilty because I bought a use Mazda Miata, until I remember that my Chrysler PT Cruiser was built in Mexico. And oh by the way, regardless of auto maker, where do a lot of the component parts come from? The same foreign countries selling us their cars.

Cars are part of a bigger picture that from my seat looks an awful lot like economic warfare. I need to be careful in saying that, because I think the American economy is flexible and big enough to withstand inroads by foreign interests.

Bottom line is, that nationalism some folks think is so awful runs as strongly in some Democrat veins as it does in some Republican veins. I couldn't care less about the union agenda here, but I'll gladly buy a beer for a blue-collar Democrat who loves his country and is proud of it. I live next door to one and he and I are the best of friends (I hasten to add that we don't talk politics!!!).

C

czygvtwkr

Just curious, why don't the marines have their own parking lot?

Its interesting a parking lot seems to the the hardest concept to grasp for the government. Our building has 300 employees but only about 100 parking spaces....