Mark McGwire admits steroid use

McGwire Confirms Steroid Use - WSJ.com

NEW YORK – Mark McGwire finally came clean Monday, admitting he used steroids when he broke baseball's home run record in 1998.

McGwire said in a statement sent to The Associated Press on Monday that he used steroids on and off for nearly a decade.

"I wish I had never touched steroids,'' McGwire said in a statement. "It was foolish and it was a mistake. I truly apologize. Looking back, I wish I had never played during the steroid era.''

Beta84

They're out to get us
What?? McGwire admits to using steroids during his 70 HR season??? :cds: :cds: :cds:

I am devastated. This is shocking. I dunno how I'll cope. :bawl:

Freefaller

I just watched the Costas interview

Now I have less respect for Mcgwire. What a whining baby. He wants everyone to feel sorry for him. He cheated baseball and has been lying to everyone for 17-18 years, including his family! Why come clean now? He wants a job back in baseball. You had your time in the sun and made millions of dollars playing a game, now just go away!

Beta84

They're out to get us
Now I have less respect for Mcgwire. What a whining baby. He wants everyone to feel sorry for him. He cheated baseball and has been lying to everyone for 17-18 years, including his family! Why come clean now? He wants a job back in baseball. You had your time in the sun and made millions of dollars playing a game, now just go away!

No, he had a job in baseball already. He just saw the Hall of Fame ballots, saw how he didn't do very well, and figured his only shot was to come clean, hope that they were more pissed off because he wouldn't admit it, and maybe he'll do better next year.

thurley42

HY;FR
What?? McGwire admits to using steroids during his 70 HR season??? :cds: :cds: :cds:

I am devastated. This is shocking. I dunno how I'll cope. :bawl:

It was by far the most entertaining season of recent memory and saved baseball.....and Selig sure as hell wasn't asking any questions.

Larry Gude

Strung Out

The shocking part of the interview was his steadfast claim that he would have hit 70 without steroids.

It's a bit much to put forth that, somehow 'he' cheated baseball when nearly everyone in his era was cheating baseball. As FromTexas says "When all the giraffes are retarded, none of the giraffes are retarded."

Good Lord, Brady Anderson, outfielder for the O's juiced for a time, got his 50 HR season, cashed in and moved on. However, Mac, Sosa, Bonds, Anderson, none of them can claim to have been able to reach that level of performance absent steroids.

Performance enhancing.

They make you stronger, they help you heal quicker, they help you avoid minor injuries. They enhance your performance. They keep you in the game.
Most of them were using and they were using with the approval of MLB because it was helping the game recover from the strike.

:buddies:

thurley42

HY;FR
The shocking part of the interview was his steadfast claim that he would have hit 70 without steroids.

It's a bit much to put forth that, somehow 'he' cheated baseball when nearly everyone in his era was cheating baseball. As FromTexas says "When all the giraffes are retarded, none of the giraffes are retarded."

Good Lord, Brady Anderson, outfielder for the O's juiced for a time, got his 50 HR season, cashed in and moved on. However, Mac, Sosa, Bonds, Anderson, none of them can claim to have been able to reach that level of performance absent steroids.

Performance enhancing.

They make you stronger, they help you heal quicker, they help you avoid minor injuries. They enhance your performance. They keep you in the game.
Most of them were using and they were using with the approval of MLB because it was helping the game recover from the strike.

:buddies: this has always been my point.....as the money started coming in again the owners, coaches, trainers, etc...turned the other way and let it happen...then when questions started getting asked they ducked all responsibility and acted shocked and disgusted...

Last edited:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
:buddies: this has always been my point.....as the money started coming in again the owners, coaches, trainers, etc...turned the other way and let it happen...then when questions started getting asked they ducked all responsibility and acted shocked and disgusted...

And who is supposed to serve the truth and the people in sports? In politics?

The press. They look the other way, too and for the same reasons; their jobs.

thurley42

HY;FR
And who is supposed to serve the truth and the people in sports? In politics?

The press. They look the other way, too and for the same reasons; their jobs.

The media is a cancer.....in all walks of life. They were ok with sensationalizing the long ball until Barry Bonds came along and wasn't nice to them. People got their feelings hurt because Barry wasn't nice to them so they felt the need to use their power to take him down...maybe it wasn't the smartest thing in the world on Barry's part, but I'm sure he felt like everyone else was doing it, why did he have to change who he was to appease some geek with a microphone.

Beta84

They're out to get us
It was by far the most entertaining season of recent memory and saved baseball.....and Selig sure as hell wasn't asking any questions.

Exactly. It was a heck of a season, steroids or not. Since the steroid stuff has come out it's been a bit of a snoozer. The problem isn't that everyone was using steroids to get better, it's that everyone using steroids becomes a health problem, as well as a burden on those that want to stay healthier by not using them.

Lets be a little fair to McGwire though. Out of all the sluggers, he hit the ball the furthest. He probably wouldn't have hit 70, but he still would have been a slugger. Sosa and Bonds? Probably not so much.

Otter

Nothing to see here

Performance enhancing.

exactly

thurley42

HY;FR
Exactly. It was a heck of a season, steroids or not. Since the steroid stuff has come out it's been a bit of a snoozer. The problem isn't that everyone was using steroids to get better, it's that everyone using steroids becomes a health problem, as well as a burden on those that want to stay healthier by not using them.

Lets be a little fair to McGwire though. Out of all the sluggers, he hit the ball the furthest. He probably wouldn't have hit 70, but he still would have been a slugger. Sosa and Bonds? Probably not so much.

I agree Mac was the man...and he's got a great swing...and from what I saw the other day, still has some great bat speed.

Barry was a great player early in his career, would he have been a HR king? No, would he had been a HOF'er? Probably.