Maryland drivers to face higher taxes, fees

theHypocrite

taking chances
Gov. Martin O'Malley has said the state needs to raise another $800 million each year because the transportation system is "on the verge of financial collapse."

The state should look at raising the per-gallon gasoline tax, creating a new 6 percent sales tax on gas sales, or hiking other taxes and fees, Department of Legislative Services analysts told the Senate Budget and Taxation Committee.

Among other long-term solutions, the state could charge more road and bridge tolls, the analysts said, and areas such as Montgomery and Prince George's counties and Baltimore City and surrounding counties could levy local sales taxes for funding mass transit systems.

The underlying problem, witnesses said yesterday, is that the state last increased the gas tax in 1992, even though construction and maintenance expenditures have been increasing constantly.

The tax rate has been 23.5 cents per gallon for gasoline, and 24.25 cents per gallon for diesel fuel, for 19 years

Maryland drivers to face higher taxes, fees • Government (www.HometownAnnapolis.com - The Capital)

bcp

In My Opinion
That will take the diesel fuel from the currrent 3.79 that Im paying now to roughly 4.15 per gallon.

Couldnt they just run the illegal,,,, NEW AMERICANS out of the state and save the money that the democrats have overspent once again?

I really like the part where Montgomery County, Prince Georges County and Baltimore city and surrounding counties would be allowed to access additional taxes and tolls.

royhobie

hobieflyer
Gov. Martin O'Malley has said the state needs to raise another $800 million each year because the transportation system is "on the verge of financial collapse."

The state should look at raising the per-gallon gasoline tax, creating a new 6 percent sales tax on gas sales, or hiking other taxes and fees, Department of Legislative Services analysts told the Senate Budget and Taxation Committee.

Among other long-term solutions, the state could charge more road and bridge tolls, the analysts said, and areas such as Montgomery and Prince George's counties and Baltimore City and surrounding counties could levy local sales taxes for funding mass transit systems.

The underlying problem, witnesses said yesterday, is that the state last increased the gas tax in 1992, even though construction and maintenance expenditures have been increasing constantly.

The tax rate has been 23.5 cents per gallon for gasoline, and 24.25 cents per gallon for diesel fuel, for 19 years

Maryland drivers to face higher taxes, fees • Government (www.HometownAnnapolis.com - The Capital)

I have heard about this. What you haven't heard about is that the taxocrat state has raided the funds that WERE ALREADY in place from the existing tax to balance their budget. Had they kept the existing fundings in place, it would not be in the red. Maryland has not seen a tax that they do not like. Maryland even has a fush tax for homeowners who live near the water, while at the same time allowing the treatment plants to over flow with untreated sewage in to the Bay and tributaries. Actually, I am surprised Maryland hasn't expanded the flush tax to "everyone". They could say well, their sewage water is eventually treated at a sewage plant and then flushed in to the water. Interesting arguement for another tread at a later time.

theHypocrite

taking chances
That will take the diesel fuel from the currrent 3.79 that Im paying now to roughly 4.15 per gallon.

Couldnt they just run the illegal,,,, NEW AMERICANS out of the state and save the money that the democrats have overspent once again?

I really like the part where Montgomery County, Prince Georges County and Baltimore city and surrounding counties would be allowed to access additional taxes and tolls.

nope ... it is either tax-n-spend Democrats or borrow-n-spend Republicans

theHypocrite

taking chances
I have heard about this. What you haven't heard about is that the taxocrat state has raided the funds that WERE ALREADY in place from the existing tax to balance their budget. Had they kept the existing fundings in place, it would not be in the red. Maryland has not seen a tax that they do not like. Maryland even has a fush tax for homeowners who live near the water, while at the same time allowing the treatment plants to over flow with untreated sewage in to the Bay and tributaries. Actually, I am surprised Maryland hasn't expanded the flush tax to "everyone". They could say well, their sewage water is eventually treated at a sewage plant and then flushed in to the water. Interesting arguement for another tread at a later time.

wow ... thx for the comment ... never heard of this ... keep up the good work exposing the political criminals

glhs837

Power with Control

Crappy witnesses. The transportation fund has been raided for years now.

Md. business leaders form group to fight raids of transportation fund | Hayley Peterson | Politics | Washington Examiner

"Right now there is a billion-dollar tab ... that's been raided from the Transportation Trust Fund that has not been paid back," said Lon Anderson, spokesman for AAA Mid-Atlantic and a member of the alliance. "The governor, in his latest budget, is proposing that the state dip its hand a little bit deeper into that state cookie jar and grab some more."

O'Malley has drained nearly $700 million from the Transportation Trust Fund -- which pays for all road and rail maintenance -- in the past two fiscal years to help plug general fund deficits. He has penciled in another $100 million fund transfer in his fiscal 2012 budget.

Transportation funds depend primarily on gas tax revenues, which have been slashed by the recession.

Comptroller Peter Franchot says O'Malley's borrowing "undermines the integrity of the trust fund."

"It's wrong," Franchot said in an interview Tuesday. "The trust fund was set up for transportation purposes. It wasn't set up for general fund relief purposes."

Maryland lawmakers have been borrowing from the transportation fund to help close budget shortfalls since 1984. In 2003, the state stopped restoring new withdrawals.

Read more at the Washington Examiner: Md. business leaders form group to fight raids of transportation fund | Hayley Peterson | Politics | Washington Examiner

With trust fund raided again, transportation system at risk, Busch says

In the past three years alone, more than $2 billion has been transferred from the trust fund for other budgetary purposes.

So, this hasnt Jack Schitt to do with not raising the gas tax, the existing tax pays for what it is supposed to quite handily, even with a surplus, left alone. But politicians never met one of my dimes they didnt like, and like to spend.

Mongo53

:killingmeHave you looked at the rate of borrowing and spending since the Democrats took control of Congress or when Obama took office with his party still in control of the Congress? Awww, just because it quadrupled previous rates, naww, that doesn't mean anything, its all Bush's fault isn't?

bcp

In My Opinion

So you are actually a good candidate for the Tea Party.

You should come to their meetings, the more we have the better the chance that the government will stop spending, and that is what is really needed.
No more foreign aid, no welfare, no free health care, no more open borders and get rid of all illegals here now.
No more investment in green technology.

End all spending and we can pay off the deficit then reduce taxes.

onebdzee

off the shelf

You should come to their meetings, the more we have the better the chance that the government will stop spending, and that is what is really needed.
No more foreign aid, no welfare, no free health care, no more open borders and get rid of all illegals here now.
No more investment in green technology.

It makes too much sense....sorry, won't work

hvp05

Methodically disorganized
What you haven't heard about is that the taxocrat state has raided the funds that WERE ALREADY in place from the existing tax to balance their budget.
The funny bit is, if you asked BorrO'Malley to name his top accomplishments, one of the first things would be "balancing the budget".

Larry Gude

Strung Out
So, send a bill.

We need $800 million, then, with, what, 5 million people, send a tax bill for each citizen of $160 each and be done with it. That's $640 for a household of four.

One of the MANY things wrong with our politics is the intentional blurring of the direct line between spending to the benefit of the citizen and the tax revenue from the citizen, who has the power of the vote for the stuff, to pay for the stuff.

The point is, obviously, to get the money in ways with the least political exposure. Now, this is, of course, political reality but, that doesn't make it right and doesn't make it off limits to talk about as something that does need fixing.

If it can't vote, it should not be able to donate to candidates and campaigns. It should also not be able to, or be required to, pay taxes because we become disconnected between not wanting 'special interests' having so much power and yet wanting 'special interests' to pay for everything.

Vince

No more foreign aid, no welfare, no free health care, no more open borders and get rid of all illegals here now. No more investment in green technology.

It makes too much sense....sorry, won't work
Like zee said, "Makes too much sense." Dems and common sense don't go together.

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
I have heard about this. What you haven't heard about is that the taxocrat state has raided the funds that WERE ALREADY in place from the existing tax to balance their budget. Had they kept the existing fundings in place, it would not be in the red. Maryland has not seen a tax that they do not like. Maryland even has a fush tax for homeowners who live near the water,

while at the same time allowing the treatment plants to over flow with untreated sewage in to the Bay and tributaries. Actually, I am surprised Maryland hasn't expanded the flush tax to "everyone". They could say well, their sewage water is eventually treated at a sewage plant and then flushed in to the water. Interesting arguement for another tread at a later time.

Actually the flush tax is pretty much statewide, $30/year whether you're on sewer or septic. Sewer users get a billing, septic users pay on their County property tax bill. The money is used for loans to sewer operators to upgrade to the new federal Enhanced Nitrogen Removal techniques and standards. Septic users within a certain distance from tidal waters get grants from it to upgrade their failing systems. That program is administered through the Counties.

The second is just plain bull####. Any sewer operator that has an overflow has to report it to Md Department of the Environment who then assesses fines. That is for amounts a little as 10 gallons caused by a grease clog in front of someone's house.

bcp

In My Opinion
Actually the flush tax is pretty much statewide, $30/year whether you're on sewer or septic. Sewer users get a billing, septic users pay on their County property tax bill. The money is used for loans to sewer operators to upgrade to the new federal Enhanced Nitrogen Removal techniques and standards. Septic users within a certain distance from tidal waters get grants from it to upgrade their failing systems. That program is administered through the Counties.

The second is just plain bull####. Any sewer operator that has an overflow has to report it to Md Department of the Environment who then assesses fines. That is for amounts a little as 10 gallons caused by a grease clog in front of someone's house.

This is true. I am on septic, I pay the flush tax, I am not able to gain any value at all from this.

glhs837

Power with Control
Yep, I asked about the possibility of using some of those funds to get all the houses on Chancellors Run off of septic and onto city sewer, since the plan stopped just north of me. "Nope, that money isn't for that."

bcp

In My Opinion
If they raise the gas tax, I would certainly expect to see the cost of riding public transportation go up at least by 4.3 cent per mile. I dont figure the busses get much more than 10mpg so it would work out to the same per gallon increase that the non users are being asked to pay.

Start working it like that and in no time at all I think we would see those that want the tax increase, suddenly not wanting the tax increase.

as long as someone else is paying for it and I dont have to.......

bcp

In My Opinion
Yep, I asked about the possibility of using some of those funds to get all the houses on Chancellors Run off of septic and onto city sewer, since the plan stopped just north of me. "Nope, has alread been used to offeset the cost of benefits to illegals."

thought I would put the reality of it in there for you.

Vale

This Space For Rent
In 2007 MD Dems enacted the largest tax increases ever to cover shortfalls, yet we are still short of funds? No, just as with the Federal government, it is the spending, not a revenue problem. The MD 2011 budget is 11% higher than 2010. Did you get an 11% pay raise this year?

Raising taxes is wrong, but it will happen since the sheeple of MD insist on one party rule.

awpitt

Main Streeter

A leftover from the Ehrlich administration.

awpitt

Main Streeter
So, send a bill.

We need $800 million, then, with, what, 5 million people, send a tax bill for each citizen of $160 each and be done with it. That's $640 for a household of four.

One of the MANY things wrong with our politics is the intentional blurring of the direct line between spending to the benefit of the citizen and the tax revenue from the citizen, who has the power of the vote for the stuff, to pay for the stuff.

The point is, obviously, to get the money in ways with the least political exposure. Now, this is, of course, political reality but, that doesn't make it right and doesn't make it off limits to talk about as something that does need fixing.

If it can't vote, it should not be able to donate to candidates and campaigns. It should also not be able to, or be required to, pay taxes because we become disconnected between not wanting 'special interests' having so much power and yet wanting 'special interests' to pay for everything.

That would be nice but the SCOTUS has basically said companies are people.