Maryland on lockdown?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Here, Vrai. I dug up the age breakdown for the US.

Here's the full breakdown of the initial coronavirus age data:
  • 0-19 years old: five percent of US coronavirus patients
  • 20-44 years old: 29 percent
  • 45-54 years old: 18 percent
  • 55-64 years old: 18 percent
  • 65-84 years old: 25 percent
  • 85 or older: six percent
and for those hospitalized:
0-19 years old: less than one percent of US coronavirus hospitalizations
  • 20-44: 20 percent of hospitalizations
  • 45-54: 18 percent of hospitalizations
  • 55-64: 17 percent of hospitalizations
  • 65-84: 26 percent of hospitalizations
  • 85 or older: nine percent of hospitalizations

What that data shows, then, is that older people are NOT more vulnerable. So why are all the doctors telling us that they are?

So all this hype about letting old people have special privs and not endangering them is a bunch of bullshit and it's actually young and middle age people who are most vulnerable?

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga

There is a large number of highly vocal Marylanders who are demanding that Hogan put MD on complete lockdown. Maryland so far has had 3 deaths - or what they call "Saturday Night" in Baltimore.

Do you think they are overreacting or should Hogan shut the state down?

I really do think they are overreacting. I think. I hope he doesn't put us on complete lockdown. I'm kind of p*ssed that I had to prepare as though we will get locked down, though.

What that data shows, then, is that older people are NOT more vulnerable. So why are all the doctors telling us that they are?

So all this hype about letting old people have special privs and not endangering them is a bunch of bullshit and it's actually young and middle age people who are most vulnerable?
That has not been what I've been reading/hearing. They've been saying the older are more vulnerable to not recover. I'm not sure how folks are hearing getting COVID19 is a non-event for those younger than elderly. In fact, when I check the scientific websites I am seeing CAT scans and x-rays showing lung damage and the reports are some are left with permanent scaring. Even itsbob said the guy he works with said he believes it will be at least 1-2 months before he is breathing/feeling normal again.

I'm not trying to convince you of anything nor do I expect to sway your positive outlook. You asked for stats and I pulled some. What I pulled showing the national numbers matched what I was hearing from NY this morning.

Bann

I am being very careful though because I don't want to spread it to someone that is vulnerable.

I've been taking my temp twice a day, just to be sure, but I have very very little contact with the outside world on a normal day.

I'm still taking temps here -and the reason is the same. My boss' mother (coincdentally, she's also my BFF's mom) is medically fragile. She's not even well enough to live on her own now. I've had no choice but to go out to get things that were needed, but I have taken as many precautions as I could and never near enough to anyone who was coughing. Sanitized my hands after touching things, etc.

Thing1 had been taking public transportation before his hours were cut. He reported that not many people were even on the bus this past week. However, he only works Thurs & Friday this week. So, I think out of "an abundance of caution" as they say, I will have him utilize other transportation until he's laid off completely, or we're forced to lockdown. (his job is "cleaning", so he is already taking precautions)

Any chance that excessive vaping by the younger crowd is pre-disposing them to lung issues? And therefore the higher numbers of the younger?
And I'm thinking the older crowd has a lower rate of hospitalization than we were expecting to see because I do believe they are trying to hunker down... but if they get it, they have a harder time fighting it off thus the higher death percentage for that age group.

And I'm thinking the older crowd has a lower rate of hospitalization than we were expecting to see because I do believe they are trying to hunker down... but if they get it, they have a harder time fighting it off thus the higher death percentage for that age group.
If they are like my dad and in a 'home' (I hate calling it that.... ) the facilities have been locked down for about 2 weeks now, no one in or out except the staff, which are monitored.

black dog

Free America
Any chance that excessive vaping by the younger crowd is pre-disposing them to lung issues? And therefore the higher numbers of the younger?

I read the Data and I believe the older crowd is the larger part of the numbers, so many starting in there 30's and 40's are overweight and have huge underlying health problems like heart, diabetes, lung, sedentary issues and so on.... Americas are by and large are lazy, process food eating, drinking, vaping mouth breathers....

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
I am seeing CAT scans and x-rays showing lung damage and the reports are some are left with permanent scaring.
I have scaring and minor calcification in my lungs from bouts with viral pneumonia in January 93 and 94.
2 different strains of virus.

Might be coincidence, but have not had a real bad cold since I underwent chemo in the latter half of 2015.
I am taking my yearly precautions again cold and flu, ramped up a little.

Bann

That's the last place I would be...
Right, I get it. Transportation last week was very under-attended. He also only rode home 3 days last week. And there were NO cases being reported in Calvert. All of those things being considered, that's why we re-assessed and decided he should not take public transportation. We can take turns getting him there if his personal support services agency cannot. :yay:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
What is truly frightening to me is reading the posts on FB from the brown shirts ratting out their neighbors.

Does that surprise you? That's nothing new, either - there is a ton of historical precedent.

Part of me thinks this is a social experiment so our overlords can see what we do in a crisis. So far we're failing.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
Yes, because it is perfectly acceptable to allow old people to die. They are going to die eventually anyway. But for someone perfectly healthy to die, that would be a tragedy. 20% of all hospitalizations are for ages 20-44. 20% of deaths so far have been for people under age 65.
Is this a new game, a new personality for every day of the quarantine?

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
What is truly frightening to me is reading the posts on FB from the brown shirts ratting out their neighbors.

The Stasi had an estimated 60% of the East German Population ratting on each other .... think about your nosey HOA