McCain Suspends Campaign

Baja28

Obama destroyed America
and to think they would have ignored the 800lb gorilla in the the room. McCain understands that your "predetermined" questions needed to change for this debate as the economics of this matter span the globe and reach into foreign policy. Seriously, what will McCain do to help in Washington this week? Vote on stuff that's beyond his mental capacity to understand?
Damn good thing breathing is an involuntary reflex. It'd be beyond your mental capacity.

How the hell old are you? 13? Go do your homework. Learn about elections. Come back in 5 years or so.

Last edited:

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
The "Town Hall" type debate is the only debate that will show what Obama and McCain are about. Having pre-determined questions is useless. Obama is scared to death of this type of debate - that says it all. OK - Liberals - come up with a thousand excuses why the great Obama won't debate in a Town Hall setting. I know - stupid question - he only excells with a teleprompter.:killingme:killingme:killingme

:yeahthat:

Bann

PREMO Member
and to think they would have ignored the 800lb gorilla in the the room. McCain understands that your "predetermined" questions needed to change for this debate as the economics of this matter span the globe and reach into foreign policy. Seriously, what will McCain do to help in Washington this week? Vote on stuff that's beyond his mental capacity to understand?

:headpats: Andy, go put me on ignore.

MMDad

Lem Putt
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.7) 320x240; VZW; Motorola-Q9c; Windows Mobile 6.0 Standard)

PsyOps said:
Don't think the economy would have come up ??? Special Ed?

Scenario: The President Obama is overseas. A national crisis pops up. Does he stay there or come back and lead us out of the crisis?

:howdy: I know! He blows smoke rings, smokes some pot, maybe some blow. But no smack. The man has morals after all.

Last edited:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Have you ever been involved in a presidential election before? Do you not know that a series of debates are planned with a certain topic for each debate?

:lmao:

It's always amusing to me when these kids get on here thinking they know all about it, when it's obvious they have no idea what they're talking about. :lol:

forestal

I'm the Boss of Me
For the man who knows little about economics, what was his quote just last week???? "the fundamentals of our economy are strong"????, and has missed lots of important votes on the matter...

What the hell does he think he can do that isn't being done by dozen other men and women who are much smarter than he is?

We see what kind of president he'll make, when the going gets tough, he puts things on hold....BTW, his campaign is still running until sometime tomorrow evening, no real rush for him to get back.

I'll tell you the real reason he wants to put the debate on hold, he needs to catch up on his naps...

FromTexas

This Space for Rent
America this week faces an historic crisis in our financial system. We must pass legislation to address this crisis. If we do not, credit will dry up, with devastating consequences for our economy. People will no longer be able to buy homes and their life savings will be at stake. Businesses will not have enough money to pay their employees. If we do not act, every corner of our country will be impacted. We cannot allow this to happen.

Last Friday, I laid out my proposal and I have since discussed my priorities and concerns with the bill the Administration has put forward. Senator Obama has expressed his priorities and concerns. This morning, I met with a group of economic advisers to talk about the proposal on the table and the steps that we should take going forward. I have also spoken with members of Congress to hear their perspective.

It has become clear that no consensus has developed to support the Administration’s proposal. I do not believe that the plan on the table will pass as it currently stands, and we are running out of time.

Tomorrow morning, I will suspend my campaign and return to Washington after speaking at the Clinton Global Initiative. I have spoken to Senator Obama and informed him of my decision and have asked him to join me.

I am calling on the President to convene a meeting with the leadership from both houses of Congress, including Senator Obama and myself. It is time for both parties to come together to solve this problem.

We must meet as Americans, not as Democrats or Republicans, and we must meet until this crisis is resolved. I am directing my campaign to work with the Obama campaign and the commission on presidential debates to delay Friday night’s debate until we have taken action to address this crisis.

I am confident that before the markets open on Monday we can achieve consensus on legislation that will stabilize our financial markets, protect taxpayers and homeowners, and earn the confidence of the American people. All we must do to achieve this is temporarily set politics aside, and I am committed to doing so.

Following September 11th, our national leaders came together at a time of crisis. We must show that kind of patriotism now. Americans across our country lament the fact that partisan divisions in Washington have prevented us from addressing our national challenges. Now is our chance to come together to prove that Washington is once again capable of leading this country.

:popcorn:

Poor Letterman looks stupid, too. He clearly stated the next morning after speaking after the Clinton Global Initiative - yet Letterman lambasts him for being at an interview with Couric the same day he says this. :lmao:

forestal

I'm the Boss of Me
McCain just needs to catch up on his naps, he is, after all, a very old man...

Mickey Edwards, Princeton lecturer and former Republican congressman:

Oh, brother. What idiot came up with this stunt?

It ranks somewhere on the stupidity scale between plain silly and numbingly desperate. McCain and Obama are both members of the senate and they're both able to help craft a solution if they wish to do so without putting the presidential campaign on hold; after all, I’m sure congressional leaders would be willing to accept their calls if they have some important insights to impart. And while one of them will eventually become president, neither one is president yet, nor is either one a member of the congressional leadership; I’m confident that somehow the administration and the other 533 members of congress will be able to muddle through without tapping into the superior wisdom and intellect of their nominees. Sorry, john; it really sounds like you're afraid to debate. This sounds like the sort of ploy we used to use in junior high school elections.

:popcorn:

Poor Letterman looks stupid, too. He clearly stated the next morning after speaking after the Clinton Global Initiative - yet Letterman lambasts him for being at an interview with Couric the same day he says this. :lmao:

bresamil

wandering aimlessly
I believe McCain is doing what he has always done - putting country first.

I've been watching the series of Bill Clinton interviews and even he has a real hard time saying anything negative about McCain. In fact, he says that McCain has given everything a person can give to their country without losing their life. He also said he worked really well with McCain in the past.

I really don't get how democrats are against McCain. For years McCain has pretty much been in the center. Republicans accused him of being a RINO because he didn't toe the party line. If Obama was more centrist I think he'd have plenty of Republican supporters from just his speaking talents, but unfortunately he's really far to the left. You can't reach across the aisle from that position.

W is on right now. He's talking clearer than he has in some time.

Bann

PREMO Member

I've been watching the series of Bill Clinton interviews and even he has a real hard time saying anything negative about McCain. In fact, he says that McCain has given everything a person can give to their country without losing their life. He also said he worked really well with McCain in the past.

I really don't get how democrats are against McCain. For years McCain has pretty much been in the center. Republicans accused him of being a RINO because he didn't toe the party line. If Obama was more centrist I think he'd have plenty of Republican supporters from just his speaking talents, but unfortunately he's really far to the left. You can't reach across the aisle from that position.

:yay: I think the President gave a good speech tonight.

It sure sounds like it's something we /they better figure out soon.

PsyOps

Pixelated
For the man who knows little about economics, what was his quote just last week???? "the fundamentals of our economy are strong"????, and has missed lots of important votes on the matter...

What the hell does he think he can do that isn't being done by dozen other men and women who are much smarter than he is?

We see what kind of president he'll make, when the going gets tough, he puts things on hold....BTW, his campaign is still running until sometime tomorrow evening, no real rush for him to get back.

I'll tell you the real reason he wants to put the debate on hold, he needs to catch up on his naps...

Hey look everyone.... It's Miller!

forestal

I'm the Boss of Me
Yeh, putting the country first like when he pushed for all that banking deregulation...

McCain is horsh1t.

chernmax

NOT Politically Correct!!
You know I'm sick and tired of people saying McCain is bad on the economy, WTF!!! I want specifics on what NObama has ever done in his illustrious 143 day career in the Senate, last I checked, the Community Organizer/South Side of Chicago Senator left the South Side in a bigger sh*thole under his leadership (all while supporting a federally indited crook who bilked the taxpayers out of 14 million dollars for low income housing). At least McCain admitted his weakness in this area and has since strengthened it and it just amazes me that the inexperience do nothing NObama gets a free pass as being better for the economy (because we all know NObama knows everything!!! :sarcasm:).

The only people who will benefit from any of the economic policies NObama is proposing are the people who currently pay jack sh*t in taxes and sit around pumping out babies waiting for that government check to post on their welfare debit cards.

PS, and not only do we have the Clinton legacy to thank for the Fannie / Freddy mess, we can also thank the Clintons for putting speculators in charge of setting oil prices!!! :coffee:

bresamil

wandering aimlessly
Yeh, putting the country first like when he pushed for all that banking deregulation...

McCain is horsh1t.

You have your candidate, I have mine. :shrug: No need for name calling.

I don't understand why Obama or any of his supporters would be upset with McCain suspending his campaign and heading back to the Senate. Obama will be able to advertise and speak unchallenged while McCain is in Washington.

This_person

Bob Schieffer reports

McCain is horsh1t.
Seems CBS thinks McCain actually IS putting country first, over his campaign:
Here was Schieffer speaking with the Early Show's Maggie Rodriguez at 7:05 AM EDT today:
BOB SCHIEFFER: I am told, Maggie, that the way McCain got involved in this in the first place, the Treasury Secretary was briefing Republicans in the House yesterday, the Republican conference, asked how many were ready to support the bailout plan. Only four of them held up their hands. Paulson then called, according to my sources, Senator Lindsey Graham, who is very close to John McCain, and told him: you've got to get the people in the McCain campaign, you've got to convince John McCain to give these Republicans some political cover. If you don't do that, this whole bailout plan is going to fail. So that's how, McCain, apparently, became involved.​
Seems McCain, specifically, is needed to work with the Congress to get our economy saved. Not any senator, not just any leader. McCain himself. As reported by that far right conservative Bob Schieffer.

awpitt

Main Streeter
Does it really matter wether or not the presidential candidates are in Washington Friday afternoon and evening?

A lot of time, money, and effort goes into the preps for one of these debates and it's not that easy to just postpone. Going on with the previously agreed to debate is not going to make or break the so called bailout. So they have the debate and then fly back to DC that night and work on things the next morning. This financial situation has been brewing for a long time. A Friday night will make no difference.

This_person

Does it really matter wether or not the presidential candidates are in Washington Friday afternoon and evening?

A lot of time, money, and effort goes into the preps for one of these debates and it's not that easy to just postpone. Going on with the previously agreed to debate is not going to make or break the so called bailout. So they have the debate and then fly back to DC that night and work on things the next morning. This financial situation has been brewing for a long time. A Friday night will make no difference.
Certainly a debate on foreign policy over a month before the election, and the difficulty of rescheduling, far outweighs having three senators (all of whom claim to be "leaders" - capable of forming and guiding the debate on the bailout package) actually doing their real jobs in what has been described by virtually everyone as an immediate crisis for the country. :rolleyes:

awpitt

Main Streeter
Certainly a debate on foreign policy over a month before the election, and the difficulty of rescheduling, far outweighs having three senators (all of whom claim to be "leaders" - capable of forming and guiding the debate on the bailout package) actually doing their real jobs in what has been described by virtually everyone as an immediate crisis for the country. :rolleyes:
If it was that critical, it would've been fixed a week ago. Again, the few hours the candidates would be involved with preping for and participating in the debate will make no difference. The big problem will not be fix on a Friday night.

This_person

If it was that critical, it would've been fixed a week ago. Again, the few hours the candidates would be involved with preping for and participating in the debate will make no difference. The big problem will not be fix on a Friday night.
Nothing in the federal government moves fast enough that it would have been fixed a week ago. How long after Pearl Harbor was war declared? :lol:

The actual leaders, the guy that even Reid said yesterday was necessary for getting a bill passed (uh, that would be McCain), that Paulson begged to have there (uh, that, too, would be McCain) needs to actually be there to guide the process, to have hands on leadership.

If Bush were in FL at a fundraiser last night instead of on your TV explaining the problem from the White House, would he have been an effective leader on this issue? If he chose to stay in FL yesterday, would you have criticized that decision as him not being where he should be?

Actual leaders demonstrate actual leadership. People like Obama demonstrate actual partisan, political rhetoric with no substance. It's really that plain and simple.