McKays in Leonardtown- How long do you give it?

Bluecrqbe

He’s blaming the Giant and food lion stores that have been here longer than his takeover of the Leonardtown Superfresh?

I can’t imagine the capital lost on wildewood, great mills, then buying the leases of shoppers in San Souci and Waldorf. Say adios to this once great county store

🎶It always pays to shop at McKays!”

This man is a senior citizen and seems to have no self awareness of his own incompetence, he ruined the company his parents built. There has been no invasion of the mega stores, heck I remember Safeway being in a Lexington Park in the 70s! He needed a strong spouse like Nancy or Melania to steer him clear of his neuroses, nope, he’s starting newspapers and running for office.

PeoplesElbow

He’s blaming the Giant and food lion stores that have been here longer than his takeover of the Leonardtown Superfresh?

I can’t imagine the capital lost on wildewood, great mills, then buying the leases of shoppers in San Souci and Waldorf. Say adios to this once great county store

This man is a senior citizen and seems to have no self awareness of his own incompetence, he ruined the company his parents built. There has been no invasion of the mega stores, heck I remember Safeway being in a Lexington Park in the 70s! He needed a strong spouse like Nancy or Melania to steer him clear of his neuroses, nope, he’s starting newspapers and running for office.
Personally I think he is a turd, but Walmart, Aldi and on the higher end Harris Teeter are all new competition that they never could compare to.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Personally I think he is a turd, but Walmart, Aldi and on the higher end Harris Teeter are all new competition that they never could compare to.
The Leonardtown store was their best and it sucks against Giant and HT.

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
Rumor has it, that Shopper's is coming back to San Sauci once McKay's lease is up.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I have a hard time understanding why anyone would get in to the grocery store business. The profit margins are pitifully small, meaning that every little detail of the business has to be managed to a really fine degree. It's always amazing to see the competitors in that business space fighting for the scraps like they do.

PeoplesElbow

I have a hard time understanding why anyone would get in to the grocery store business. The profit margins are pitifully small, meaning that every little detail of the business has to be managed to a really fine degree. It's always amazing to see the competitors in that business space fighting for the scraps like they do.
I know the margins are small, but one of the richest people I know is an owner/operator of a grocery franchise. It isn't in MD so they do have a license to sell beer, their old store also sold liquor (formerly Giant Eagle, now Save-a-Lot).

Bluecrqbe

I know the margins are small, but one of the richest people I know is an owner/operator of a grocery franchise. It isn't in MD so they do have a license to sell beer, their old store also sold liquor (formerly Giant Eagle, now Save-a-Lot).
The Charlotte Hall and Hollywood McKays are the only grocery stores in the county allowed to sell beer, wine, and liquor. I’m sure that’s the only reason those are being kept afloat.

I don’t know many businesses that survive being run by the second generation, rarely do they have the same passion as their parents who started it. Gotta get the ego out of the way and sell.

stgislander

PREMO Member
The Save-a-Lot back home is not much to look at. Small store... originally an A&P. The shipping boxes with cans, bags, or boxes go on the shelf. They do have their own butchers in the back though, and their meat prices are very good compared to Martin's (which is under the Giant umbrella).

vsomd

And look at his campaign signs - "Leadership the RIGHT way" Oh yeah you lead McKays the right way, right into the ground. Sure lets run for commissioner president and see where you lead St Marys County, I dont think so, not my vote!

Clem72

He needed a strong spouse like Nancy or Melania to steer him clear of his neuroses, nope, he’s starting newspapers and running for office.
His daughter also running for state delegate, right?

Was in the Hollywood one today and it looks better organized and like they had more food. Not good by any means and I only saw 3 employees working however.

mitzi

I was so excited when the Charlotte Hall store was being built. I hadn't lived in St. Mary's long and was thrilled I didn't have to stop in Waldorf to grocery shop on my home from work.