MD bear hunt

MD black bear hunting

• No, they are not a problem and they were there first

Votes: 6 20.7%
  • Yes, their population has increased to become a threat to thouse living in W. MD

Votes: 4 13.8%
  • No, the state should have professionals cull the population

Votes: 1 3.4%
  • Yes, it supports a sport in MD as well as serving a public service

Votes: 15 51.7%
  • No, there is no public safety issue

Votes: 4 13.8%
  • Yes, they are a threat to public safety and need to be culled by utilizing citizen hunters

Votes: 2 6.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Novus Collectus

There are situations where black bears have attacked adults without provocation, but the worst is when they have snatched and killed children.
Of course these are incidents that occured all over the nation and not in MD, but what about MD? What possible danger could there be in MD from black bear besides snatching little children from campgrounds or attacking hikers in the mountains?
HAGERSTOWN, Md. - A rabid black bear trying to rip out a window air conditioner lost its tug-of-war with a terrified housewife when her husband blasted the beast with a shotgun, the woman and a state wildlife official said Wednesday.

The bear rushed the house after Charlotte Stanton yelled out her screen door to try to scare it away from a goat pen. Stanton, 39, of rural Grantsville, said she was losing her tussle with the 134-pound sow when Michael Stanton pulled the trigger.

"I finally yelled at my husband, because I couldn't hold on to that air conditioner much longer," she said. "It seemed like forever, but I'm sure it was just seconds."
Rabid Bear Killed Trying to Enter Md. Home

bcp

In My Opinion
There are situations where black bears have attacked adults without provocation, but the worst is when they have snatched and killed children.
Of course these are incidents that occured all over the nation and not in MD, but what about MD? What possible danger could there be in MD from black bear besides snatching little children from campgrounds or attacking hikers in the mountains?Rabid Bear Killed Trying to Enter Md. Home
and if the cowboys would not have put the bedroll on top of the rattle snake nest, they might not have woke up with extra holes in their swollen butts.

fact is that the bears never posed a problem until somebody decided to build homes in the bears natural habitat.
Seems common sense would tell people that they are screwing up when they do that sort of thing.

Novus Collectus

and if the cowboys would not have put the bedroll on top of the rattle snake nest, they might not have woke up with extra holes in their swollen butts.

You have seen too much Brokeback Mountain and it is sticking in your mind. Next thing we know, you will be wearing assless chaps.

fact is that the bears never posed a problem until somebody decided to build homes in the bears natural habitat.
Seems common sense would tell people that they are screwing up when they do that sort of thing.
Actually, they had claim to much of that land a half century or two ago, but since their numbers receded immensley and people moved there thinking it was safe and always will be, who has more rights to the area now?
Do you agree with the tree hugging liberals on this one?

Dymphna

Loyalty, Friendship, Love
How many bears got killed by cars last year? They have overpopulated their habitat and are endangering motorists and themselves by wandering into the roads. Ok, their habitat is reduced due to human interference, but that's done now.

Which is better, hunt them and use the meat and hides for numerous purposes or hit them with your car and leave them to rot on the side of the road along with your fender?

bcp

In My Opinion
You have seen too much Brokeback Mountain and it is sticking in your mind. Next thing we know, you will be wearing assless chaps.

actually, I never watched brokeback mountain, and Im pretty sure I never will. Im not homosexual, there is no need for me to view such things

Actually, they had claim to much of that land a half century or two ago, but since their numbers receded immensley and people moved there thinking it was safe and always will be, who has more rights to the area now?
Do you agree with the tree hugging liberals on this one?
yep, I agree with the tree huggers on this one. but then, Ive always sided with the tree huggers.

if the bears have to be thinned, then let the state officials do it. Im sure that as long as they are being thinned the hunters wont have a problem with them not being the ones doing it.

Novus Collectus

actually, I never watched brokeback mountain, and Im pretty sure I never will. Im not homosexual, there is no need for me to view such things
Good movie....or so I have heard.

yep, I agree with the tree huggers on this one. but then, Ive always sided with the tree huggers.
DUDE!!! Do you have any idea what damage bears do to trees???!!?!? Bears are arbor haters big time!! Kill those tree killers!!!

Last edited:

bcp

In My Opinion
Good movie....or so I have heard.

DUDE!!! Do you have any idea what damage bears do to trees???!!?!? Bears are arbor haters big time!! Kill those tree killers!!!
sorry wont work.

bears do much less damage to trees than hunters and new communities.

I would rather be around 100 bears than 20 humans. I know that the bears are all sitting back planning my demise, I can at least work out a plan to survive.
people on the other hand, well, they just sort of go off for no reason from time to time and kill everyone around.

Novus Collectus

sorry wont work.

bears do much less damage to trees than hunters and new communities.
New communties you may be right, but since Teddy Roosevelt most hunters are conservationinsts.

I would rather be around 100 bears than 20 humans. I know that the bears are all sitting back planning my demise, I can at least work out a plan to survive.
people on the other hand, well, they just sort of go off for no reason from time to time and kill everyone around.
Touche

Sonsie

The mighty Al-Sonsie!
I saw brokeback, it was a sad movie. It's not so much about being gay as being and dying alone. The ending scene will bring a tear to any hetro eye too. That being said, hunt the bears. There are no natural predators for bear, if there are enough the DNR is ok with it then so be it. The herd does need to be thinned from time to time.

HunterJJD

Is there a valid reason to have a black bear hunt in MD next year?

Do you live up there?
Do you spend time up there?
If not then STFU, I spend a good bit of time up there and see plenty of bears. The bear numbers are a lot higher then what MD says and they need to be in check.

Novus Collectus

Do you live up there?
Do you spend time up there?
If not then STFU, I spend a good bit of time up there and see plenty of bears. The bear numbers are a lot higher then what MD says and they need to be in check.

I am pro hunt and see valid reason to have the hunt, so don't you look foolish.

I started this poll to see why so many Marylanders are not in favor of the hunt.

HunterJJD

I am pro hunt and see valid reason to have the hunt, so don't you look foolish.

I started this poll to see why so many Marylanders are not in favor of the hunt.

either way you now know why they do not think they should have a season. Most speak up from thier town house in the burbs of the city and not knowing anything of what it is like to live in W. MD

Vince

In favor of hunting, but never hunted bear. Didn't think the bear population was all that large. Deer, yes. The deer population has gotten out of control and it needs to be thinned. Besides, I need more venison in my freezer. :yum:

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
if the bears have to be thinned, then let the state officials do it. Im sure that as long as they are being thinned the hunters wont have a problem with them not being the ones doing it.

Why the hell should the state pay (i.e. my tax money) for something when people are more than willing to pay the state for the privilege of doing it?

bcp

In My Opinion
In favor of hunting, but never hunted bear. Didn't think the bear population was all that large. Deer, yes. The deer population has gotten out of control and it needs to be thinned. Besides, I need more venison in my freezer. :yum:
Its not that large at all. its just that people have moved in on them and increased their numbers per square mile, making it look like there is a problem.

the problem is with humans.
one of the first things that should be done is to move the half million illegals out of the state and reduce the need for housing.
well, actually with the way they all cram into a single dwelling, a half million illegals would only equate to about what?? 100 houses?

bcp

In My Opinion
Why the hell should the state pay (i.e. my tax money) for something when people are more than willing to pay the state for the privilege of doing it?
to prove the point that the hunters for the most part dont really care about the number of animals that are there, they only want to kill one for the trophy.
do people even eat bear?

think Im wrong? just look at how the watermen have been claiming since the early 70s that the crab population was abundant and that they were not going to harm it be over fishing,, now look at the crab populations in the bay, look at the oysters, if you can find one.