MD bear hunt

MD black bear hunting

• No, they are not a problem and they were there first

Votes: 6 20.7%
  • Yes, their population has increased to become a threat to thouse living in W. MD

Votes: 4 13.8%
  • No, the state should have professionals cull the population

Votes: 1 3.4%
  • Yes, it supports a sport in MD as well as serving a public service

Votes: 15 51.7%
  • No, there is no public safety issue

Votes: 4 13.8%
  • Yes, they are a threat to public safety and need to be culled by utilizing citizen hunters

Votes: 2 6.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Larry Gude

Strung Out
You don't know...

to prove the point that the hunters for the most part dont really care about the number of animals that are there, they only want to kill one for the trophy.
do people even eat bear?

think Im wrong? just look at how the watermen have been claiming since the early 70s that the crab population was abundant and that they were not going to harm it be over fishing,, now look at the crab populations in the bay, look at the oysters, if you can find one.

...the hunters I know. Guys up here have walk in cold boxes with emergency generators to store meat for the year. All it has to be is a decent enough size to justify the work of dressing it. You can't eat trophy's.

Novus Collectus

Its not that large at all. its just that people have moved in on them and increased their numbers per square mile, making it look like there is a problem.

the problem is with humans.
one of the first things that should be done is to move the half million illegals out of the state and reduce the need for housing.
well, actually with the way they all cram into a single dwelling, a half million illegals would only equate to about what?? 100 houses?

In fifteen years the Maryland black bear population has increased about five fold.
Populations of Garrett and Allegany counties population increase from 1990-2000 was only about 1%.
It is the black bears that increased, not the humans.

Novus Collectus

to prove the point that the hunters for the most part dont really care about the number of animals that are there, they only want to kill one for the trophy.
do people even eat bear?....
So what if they want a trophy? It is a a right to have the beasts as trophies written in the Constittution of the United States. In the Second amendment it says we have a right to bear arms, does it not?

Cowgirl

I live on the eastern shore, so I don't recall hearing about bears causing trouble in western MD. I haven't educated myself about the population and how much it has increased over the years.....BUT, I will say that if the population is truly out of control and causing problems, I don't see anything wrong with a CONTROLLED bear hunt. I think a lottery system would work well. I don't agree with baiting bears....I think that's pathetic. If a hunter wants to shoot a bear, then he/she should have to HUNT it....any old dumb@ss can shoot a bear that's been baited in.

I don't normally agree with hunting predatory animals. There's a reason they are predators. The food chain is like that for a reason. You start at the bottom and there are tons of little animals....then as you work your way up the food chain, the numbers of animals in that "level" start to decrease. Get it? When you hunt an animal at the top of the chain (like bears, coyotes, etc) you really mess up the balance of the chain. If there really are too many bears, then we can use the lottery system to only harvest what's needed to control the population.

And with deer...sure there are tons of deer. Too many, in fact. Hunters need to realize that they shouldn't trophy hunt. Hunting should be used like natural selection. Let the biggest and best survive so you improve the species. Take the smaller animals that don't have the best genes. If the population is out of control, focus on the does. It's easier to control the population by controlling the does and not the bucks. DNR has the system set up like that....but how many hunters actually follow it properly?

And of course, if you hunt it, you should eat it or donate it to someone who will eat it.

JMO, of course. :wink:

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
I live on the eastern shore, so I don't recall hearing about bears causing trouble in western MD.

Last year the state representatives from western MD proposed trapping the bears and then releasing them in Montgomery and PG counties to allow the tree hugging liberals to experience the wonders of having a bear eat your dog in front of your kids.

appendixqh

Silence!!! I Kill You!!!
if the bears have to be thinned, then let the state officials do it. Im sure that as long as they are being thinned the hunters wont have a problem with them not being the ones doing it.

Just a few questions...what do you think state officials do with the meat? What do you think hunters do with the meat? Why would you prefer a person you pay for with your tax dollars get paid to pull the trigger, vs a state licensed hunter who pays the state for the privilege to do the same job?

As for the deer comments someone made...I have not met a licensed and legal hunter in So Md that takes a deer soley for the trophy status. Our family and friend whack many does and an occassional spike...the only requirement being a fairly mature deer...the meat all tastes the same. If by chance it has an impressive rack then great, if not, my freezer fills up just the same.

Cowgirl

Last year the state representatives from western MD proposed trapping the bears and then releasing them in Montgomery and PG counties to allow the tree hugging liberals to experience the wonders of having a bear eat your dog in front of your kids.

:shrug: That's cool with me.

Lilypad

Bear hunt protest march in Annapolis photo-

Awwwwwww

Attachments

• Humane Society Bear 2007.jpg
    Humane Society Bear 2007.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 66

Novus Collectus

Yep...that's in Tennessee.

The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has designated Saturday as World Rabies Day, but for the Stanton family of rural western Maryland, commemorative events are wholly unnecessary.

The Stantons' Aug. 29 encounter with a rabid bear, the first to test positive for the disease in Maryland, left them feeling lucky they weren't outside the evening of the bear rampage.

Nephew James Winebrenner III, 15, first noticed the animal about 7 p.m. The bear had emerged from the thick woods surrounding the Stanton property near Grantsville, in Garrett County, and was scaling an eight-foot-high chain-link fence to get at two pygmy goats, which are family pets.

"We had the screen door opened," said Charlotte Stanton, 39, a homemaker. "We all started yelling to scare the bear."

The bear immediately left the goats and bounded toward the house, covering the 35 yards in an instant. Stanton's husband, Mike Stanton, 49, met the bear at the screen door just as it tried to crash through. When the couple saw the bear wasn't giving up, Charlotte Stanton took over holding the door against the creature's frenzied lunges, while her husband, a construction worker, ran to get his shotgun.
Maryland Family Fights Off Bear - washingtonpost.com

Novus Collectus

There ya go. Keep it in the state, at least.

Black bears can be a viscious animal that can be a danger to public safety when the population is not controlled no matter which state is being discussed. Just because a bear lives in MD, it doesn't mean it won't eat a kid.

Cowgirl

Black bears can be a viscious animal that can be a danger to public safety when the population is not controlled no matter which state is being discussed. Just because a bear lives in MD, it doesn't mean it won't eat a kid.

I understand that...but usually, when population numbers are under control, bears don't bother people. If we're discussing banning bear hunting in Maryland, I don't want to hear stories from Tennessee or any other state. All it does is cloud judgement.

Novus Collectus

This one is in Colorado, but it's still a black bear...and there are pictures.
Photos Show Injuries To Bear Attack Victim - Denver News Story - KMGH Denver

And just last week in the state next to MD:
WHITE HAVEN, Pa. —A Boy Scout played dead when attacked by a bear during a camping trip, avoiding serious injury.

Chris Malasics, 14, curled up in the fetal position in his sleeping bag after the bear ripped down his tent at Hickory Run State Park around 11:30 p.m. Friday.

.....As the bear started tossing Malasics around, a Scout leader tried to create a disturbance by banging pots and pans and flashing car headlights. The bear eventually wandered off.

Not deterred from camping
Malasics, of Chester Springs, was taken to a hospital for treatment for his cuts and bruises. He was also given a precautionary rabies shot.
Boy Scout plays dead, survives bear attack - Wonderful World - MSNBC.com