MD Legislation now says pitbulls are "dangerous"

Chris0nllyn

Judges make decisions every day that affect all of us... it's the nature of living in a common law state.

When a judge tells me I legally accept liability for my dog based solely on looks, I have a problem with that.

When judges base their opinion on misinformation, and/or completely FALSE information, I have a problem with that.

When judges don't make the effort to do fact checking before making a ruling that could affect thousand of MD residents, I have a problem with that.

Now, shelters will stop taking in pit bulls. Pit bulls will be dropped outside by owners who are forced to choose between renting a home, or owning a pit bull. I honestly hope that there will not be packs of roaming dogs, and somone ends up getting hurt. Do you think that's what the judges had in mind when they made that ruling?

Railroad

Routinely Derailed
When a judge tells me I legally accept liability for my dog based solely on looks, I have a problem with that.

Because of the context, please understand that I don't disagree with you. But I do believe that responsible adults should accept liability for their animals and children (regardless of the breed of the animal or the child :lol:). That's what makes the difference between an adult and a child.

Chris0nllyn

Because of the context, please understand that I don't disagree with you. But I do believe that responsible adults should accept liability for their animals and children (regardless of the breed of the animal or the child :lol:). That's what makes the difference between an adult and a child.

I agree, but that should be based on the dog's temperment, not predisposed to liability because it's a certain breed.

Anyone who owns a dog has to accept some amount of liability. Let's face it, dogs are dogs, and can hurt, or even kill. Will a larger dog like a Rottweiler do more damage than a Chihuahua? Of course, but out of all my friends that own a Rottweilier, I've never had to worry about my safety. I have a friend that owns a Chihuahua, and that thing goes into attack mode everytime I'm there. You can't even stick your hand out without almost getting bit.

Last edited:

Railroad

Routinely Derailed
I agree, but that should be based on the dog's temperment, not predisposed to liability because it's a certain breed.

Anyone who owns a dog has to accept some amount of liability. Let's face it, dogs are dogs, and can hurt, or even kill. Will a larger dog like a Rottweiler do more damage than a Chihuahua? Of course, but out of all my friends that own a Rottweilier, I've never had to worry about my safety. I have a friend that owns a Chihuahua, and that thing goes into attack mode everytime I'm there. You can even stick your hand out without almost getting bit.

I concur 100%.

Chris0nllyn

Let's not forget that Cesar Milan (The Dog Whisperer) had a pitbull named "Daddy".

Believe it or not, Daddy never mauled anyone, or anything.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
For every rare, feel good pit bull story posted, I can post probably 4 mauling stories. :love:

I know that, but I thought a feel good story might provide some warm fuzzies.

I have had good and not so good experiences with Pit Bulls. The not so good was when Chicklet was about 18 months and tottering around at a park. The Pit's eyes followed her everywhere (while drooling and licking its chops and pulling at its lead) as though she were a tasty morsel to be had. Rather than take a chance, I scooped her up and left.

Some people also compare GSD's as being a vicious breed. Ours was extremely protective me and my girl. She was very docile with us, but not some much with a few of the neighborhood weirdo's.

VenusDoom

Rock Star

When judges base their opinion on misinformation, and/or completely FALSE information, I have a problem with that.

When judges don't make the effort to do fact checking before making a ruling that could affect thousand of MD residents, I have a problem with that.

Now, shelters will stop taking in pit bulls. Pit bulls will be dropped outside by owners who are forced to choose between renting a home, or owning a pit bull. I honestly hope that there will not be packs of roaming dogs, and somone ends up getting hurt. Do you think that's what the judges had in mind when they made that ruling?
So... you're implying that these judges didn't do any sort of fact checking prior to making their decision and decided simply based on a whim? Give me a break.

The decision was a 4-3 decision, so obviously there was some issues and there are various opinions from the various judges which are part of the public record.

I've known sweet pits and I've known dangerous pits. I've known sweet breeds of nearly all dogs, and vicious breeds of all dogs. Being in the line of work I'm in, I've seen too many bad cases of a pit attack and without fail, the owners have always said "they've never acted like that before". As a result of the "never acted like before" act, people are being severely injured, incurring thousands in medical bills, and developing psychological issues with regards to dogs in general. I would never own a pit bull, but then again I'd probably never own a dog either because in general I don't like dogs.

All your ranting is doing is showing how uneducated you are about the situation, despite numerous attempts to educate you, and a fanaticism normally reserved for the religious zealots. For goodness sake, EDUCATE YOURSELF FIRST.

SoMDGirl42

I've socialized my dog as much as I can, and even had her playing fetch with a 2 year old. I'll be the first to admit, when she doesn't feel like being played with, or when she doesn't like people in her face, she'll let you know.

Please explain so I can understand clearly. You have a dog that is quite capable of killing an adult man, yet yours plays with a 2 year old and has shown signs that "she doesn't feel like being played with" by "letting you know". What happens when one day she doesn't feel like letting you know ahead of time, and attacks instead? :popcorn:

Let me guess, it'll be the 2 year olds fault because the dog didn't feel like being played with at the time?

Please explain so I can understand clearly. You have a dog that is quite capable of killing an adult man, yet yours plays with a 2 year old and has shown signs that "she doesn't feel like being played with" by "letting you know". What happens when one day she doesn't feel like letting you know ahead of time, and attacks instead? :popcorn:

Let me guess, it'll be the 2 year olds fault because the dog didn't feel like being played with at the time?

Exactly. My bro adopted a pit a few months ago and though she is a lovely dog, he won't let her play with my smaller dog because my brother (a 6'3" iron worker) recognizes that her bite/jaw strength, even at play, is a risk and says when she bites down on something there is no getting her to release until she's ready to release.

There is no argument... it is the physical design of a pit.

SoMDGirl42

Exactly. My bro adopted a pit a few months ago and though she is a lovely dog, he won't let her play with my smaller dog because my brother (a 6'3" iron worker) recognizes that her bite/jaw strength, even at play, is a risk and says when she bites down on something there is no getting her to release until she's ready to release.

There is no argument... it is the physical design of a pit.

he's admitted his dog has shown some type of "sign" that it doesn't want to be messed with. To me, that a big ole RED FLAG

I just want to see him back peddle and now say his dog wouldn't hurt a flea, but clearly has the potential and has shown signs that it was not happy in certain situations.

OP: Once the dog showed these "signs" it didn't want to be messed with, did you remove the 2 year old or separate them?

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
Personally I think the biggest fault with pits are the number of people who decide "hey I can get $200 each for the puppies" with no regard for the temperment of the stud. You might get away with it once or twice, but once you've got a bad gene in the line every puppy from then on is suspect.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
he's admitted his dog has shown some type of "sign" that it doesn't want to be messed with. To me, that a big ole RED FLAG

I just want to see him back peddle and now say his dog wouldn't hurt a flea, but clearly has the potential and has shown signs that it was not happy in certain situations.

OP: Once the dog showed these "signs" it didn't want to be messed with, did you remove the 2 year old or separate them?
My 90lb malemute sign that she doesn't want to be played with is to go hide under the bed, not all signs are RED FLAG's .

Last edited:

Chris0nllyn

Go back and read.

When playing with the 2 year old, she didn't do anything other than play.

She's also only 50lbs, not some cross bred 100lb. bull. When someone she doesn't know gets in her face, she growls...just like most dogs do. I guess we should wait until dogs are able to say "Hey, I don't want to be messed with right now".

She's never shown teeth, bit, lunged, anything toward someone either. We have cats, and numerous other dogs, and she's done nothing to them, nor shown any inclination to do anything.

This same dog loves to sit on your lap, and presses her face against yours for a kiss.

SoMDGirl42

Go back and read.

When playing with the 2 year old, she didn't do anything other than play.

She's also only 50lbs, not some cross bred 100lb. bull. When someone she doesn't know gets in her face, she growls...just like most dogs do. I guess we should wait until dogs are able to say "Hey, I don't want to be messed with right now".

She's never shown teeth, bit, lunged, anything toward someone either. We have cats, and numerous other dogs, and she's done nothing to them, nor shown any inclination to do anything.

This same dog loves to sit on your lap, and presses her face against yours for a kiss.

Wow. I've never had a stranger approach my dogs and get in their face.

Chris0nllyn

So... you're implying that these judges didn't do any sort of fact checking prior to making their decision and decided simply based on a whim? Give me a break.

The decision was a 4-3 decision, so obviously there was some issues and there are various opinions from the various judges which are part of the public record.

I've known sweet pits and I've known dangerous pits. I've known sweet breeds of nearly all dogs, and vicious breeds of all dogs. Being in the line of work I'm in, I've seen too many bad cases of a pit attack and without fail, the owners have always said "they've never acted like that before". As a result of the "never acted like before" act, people are being severely injured, incurring thousands in medical bills, and developing psychological issues with regards to dogs in general. I would never own a pit bull, but then again I'd probably never own a dog either because in general I don't like dogs.

All your ranting is doing is showing how uneducated you are about the situation, despite numerous attempts to educate you, and a fanaticism normally reserved for the religious zealots. For goodness sake, EDUCATE YOURSELF FIRST.

Based on the wording of the ruling, I'd say yes.

What ranting!? I've simply been posting FACTS from canin research outlets....I'm not in hear asking ANY of you to change your minds. Please show me how in the world you, or anyone is trying to educate me? Using random pictures taken from Google images to prove what? By citing stories from pitbullbites.com?

Half the people that hate pit bulls, hate them because of the media's blantent disregard for fact checking their stories. That's what I'm trying to say.

There are MILLIONS of dogs in the US, and 33 caused deaths last year.....33 out of almost 80 MILLION, and (1) ONe was proven to be a pit bull.....

What do I need education on? My dog is great, great with me, great with all the other animals I have, and great with kids (though minimal due to me not having children). IMO, all I can speak for, is MY dog, because I know how she was raised, and I know how she acts.

Last edited:

Hank

my war
VenusDoom said:

Bully

Chris0nllyn

You all seem to be skipping past what I'm trying to say here....

It's a shame what happened to this boy, and the other attack victims, it really is.

But, since when can a judge make a ruling, knowing it is common law, that affectively rules out ALL pit bulls as nice dogs?