Md MVA Rant

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
Wouldn't matter with them if he was right. Insurance company made sure everything was done by standard protocol and it's the MVA that ####s up and wants to rape me out of $150 because the welfare recipients, crackheads and donkeys working up there can't read, write or speak.

#### them.

Your teachers were idiots, weren't they? :jet:

JimW711

Driving the Z
Unfortunately, the law is the law and if the vehicle is uninsured for any amount of time before the tags are turned in, you pay the fine. That's why the guy's at CARMAX and places like the Waldorf Auto Outlet that buy vehicles outright tell you to not cancel the insurance until AFTER you turn the tags in.

hotmomma

mmmmhmmmmm
I traded in my car and bought a van a few months ago. I called and told USAA about my switch and they changed the insurance coverage. I didn't turn my tags in until 3-5 days later and never had a problem. :shrug: Someone had told me that the insurance company will cover your previous vehichle for a month or something like that.

JimW711

Driving the Z
I traded in my car and bought a van a few months ago. I called and told USAA about my switch and they changed the insurance coverage. I didn't turn my tags in until 3-5 days later and never had a problem. :shrug: Someone had told me that the insurance company will cover your previous vehichle for a month or something like that.

When you trade a vehicle it's another issue. In this case the forumite sold his vehicle and canceled the insurance before he turned the tags in. That is a violation of Maryland MVA laws. If the MVA sent him a form asking to provide proof the vehicle was insured, the insurance carrier will provide MVA with the dates the vehicle was covered. If the dates don't match... violation and fine.

Dupontster

Would THIS face lie?
Did you say that you transfered the insurnace from one car to the other?

Yes

He said that, but you don't really transfer insurance. You just drop insurance on one vehicle and then insure the other vehicle.

Yes, that's what I did

no you transfer it I am an insurance agent... if he did that most companies will extend coverage on the other veh for an additional 14-30 days. Did you bring the FR-19 to your insurance agent or call them about it?

Ins Co. couldn't give me a FR-19 because I cancelled the ins on the 17th..Therefor I did NOT have insurance during that period...17th to the 24th...

I guess ignorance IS no excuse...
I'm paying but I ain't likin it...:banghead::bawl::mad:

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
I guess ignorance IS no excuse...
I'm paying but I ain't likin it...:banghead::bawl::mad:

Most people learn the hard way. :lol: :huggy:

You know..you can turn your tags in at one of those Tag/Title Agents..they charge you a $5 fee but it's worth it not to have to go the MVA. :yay:

outlawrc

Wouldn't matter with them if he was right. Insurance company made sure everything was done by standard protocol and it's the MVA that ####s up and wants to rape me out of $150 because the welfare recipients, crackheads and donkeys working up there can't read, write or speak.

#### them.

I have to agree with Andy here. Screw the MVA
It is the car that is insured not the tags, if you sold the car there is no point in keeping the insurance on it until you can turn the tags in. Some people have jobs to attend so they can pay the outrageous prices for tags in the first place.
The law has been around at least since the 80's when they tried to get me for the same thing. At that time it was only $5.00 a day over 30 days.
I took them a bill of sale and they let the fine go.
I was a kid and was ignorant to that law, there was only the Waldork MVA. Nothing in St. Mary's at all.
I guess they have gotten a bit more strict since then though.
It would still just piss me off to have to give them any more of my money really.
Also in the 80's they wouldn't allow you to re-register that car until the fine was paid, but if it was sold who cared?:coffee:

LordStanley

I know nothing

#### them.

Dayum.... :faint:

tell us how you really feel

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
It is the car that is insured not the tags, if you sold the car there is no point in keeping the insurance on it until you can turn the tags in. Some people have jobs to attend so they can pay the outrageous prices for tags in the first place.
The law has been around at least since the 80's when they tried to get me for the same thing. At that time it was only $5.00 a day over 30 days.
I was a kid and was ignorant to that law, there was only the Waldork MVA. Nothing in St. Mary's at all.
It would still just piss me off to have to give them any more of my money really.
Also in the 80's they wouldn't allow you to re-register that car until the fine was paid, but if it was sold who cared?:coffee:

:lol:

JimW711

Driving the Z

The whole premise of these laws are very simple. You're correct regarding selling your car with no point in keeping insurance. However, you're required to turn the tags in. How many time have you read about the police pulling someone over and finding out the tags belong on ANOTHER car?

Happens way too frequently and that's why this law is on the books.

outlawrc

The whole premise of these laws are very simple. You're correct regarding selling your car with no point in keeping insurance. However, you're required to turn the tags in. How many time have you read about the police pulling someone over and finding out the tags belong on ANOTHER car?

Happens way too frequently and that's why this law is on the books.

Agreed, however, law should not always overide common sense.:howdy:

Dupontster

Would THIS face lie?
Most people learn the hard way. :lol: :huggy:

You know..you can turn your tags in at one of those Tag/Title Agents..they charge you a $5 fee but it's worth it not to have to go the MVA. :yay:

Worst part about it, I'm only about 5 -6 miles from MVA in Loveville....I would have turned them in sooner had I known....Ya think if I take this thread over there they will drop the whole thing? :lmao: Wifey works about 1 mile from there too....Hell for $150.00 I would have walked them there...

tommyjones

Worst part about it, I'm only about 5 -6 miles from MVA in Loveville....I would have turned them in sooner had I known....Ya think if I take this thread over there they will drop the whole thing? :lmao: Wifey works about 1 mile from there too....Hell for $150.00 I would have walked them there...

I had this happen a couple of years back. I called the number and spoke with a lady who was actually resonable and helpful. I pleaded ignorance and she dropped it saying that she was making an entry into my file stating that i was given a pass but that next time i would be 100% responsible for the fine. It is worth the call if you haven't already made it.

good luck

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy

No but generally they hear "cases" and often will let the fine slide. It's worth a shot.

glhs837

Power with Control
Just a note on dealing with this part of the MVA, KEEP RECORDS!!!!!!! Three copies, three different places, just like I did my SERE diploma. If they dont enter the data right to clear the violation, you might not know for a couple of years, next time you go to reregister a vehicle. Then they refuse to let you do anything, becuase you cant do any business there with that hold on your name.

JimW711

Driving the Z
I had this happen a couple of years back. I called the number and spoke with a lady who was actually resonable and helpful. I pleaded ignorance and she dropped it saying that she was making an entry into my file stating that i was given a pass but that next time i would be 100% responsible for the fine. It is worth the call if you haven't already made it.

good luck

They did that when I never received my emissions notice on one of my cars. I had moved and had a P.O. Box temporarily set up while I was waiting to get my new address set up with everyone.

I called and they said they'd waive the fine as long as I had the emissions test done within the next 10 days.