Md MVA Rant

Dupontster

Would THIS face lie?
I had a vehicle registered in Md...It was sold on 7/16/08 to a guy in South Carolina...He came up and picked it up and gave me the money and left..I canceled the insurance on the sold vehicle and transfered it to the new vehicle...I turned the tags from the sold vehicle in on the 24th of July...I get a letter from "The Insurance Compliance Division" at MVA saying I owe them $150.00 fine for not having insurance from 7/17/08 to 7/24/08 on the sold vehicle...BTW the $150.00 fine is for days 1 - 30 and $7.00 for each additional uninsured day...So the $7.00 per day kicks in on 9/22/08 if I don't pay the $150.00...Did anyone else in the state of Md know that you were supposed to turn your tags in the same day you cancel your insurance?
On the back of the letter there are 9 conditions that are applicable to get out of the fine...#6 applies to me: "VEHICLE SOLD TO A PRIVATE PARTY OR DONATED" Then it goes on to tell me that I have to submit a copy of the bill of sale (DUH, I gave it to the buyer) a copy of the title both sides (Duh, I gave that to the buyer too) and all documents must be signed by the buyer and seller...I don't even know where the buyer is now..What a freakin joke...Anyone else have a problem like this?

MissKitty

I had a vehicle registered in Md...It was sold on 7/16/08 to a guy in South Carolina...He came up and picked it up and gave me the money and left..I canceled the insurance on the sold vehicle and transfered it to the new vehicle...I turned the tags from the sold vehicle in on the 24th of July...I get a letter from "The Insurance Compliance Division" at MVA saying I owe them $150.00 fine for not having insurance from 7/17/08 to 7/24/08 on the sold vehicle...BTW the $150.00 fine is for days 1 - 30 and $7.00 for each additional uninsured day...So the $7.00 per day kicks in on 9/22/08 if I don't pay the $150.00...Did anyone else in the state of Md know that you were supposed to turn your tags in the same day you cancel your insurance?
On the back of the letter there are 9 conditions that are applicable to get out of the fine...#6 applies to me: "VEHICLE SOLD TO A PRIVATE PARTY OR DONATED" Then it goes on to tell me that I have to submit a copy of the bill of sale (DUH, I gave it to the buyer) a copy of the title both sides (Duh, I gave that to the buyer too) and all documents must be signed by the buyer and seller...I don't even know where the buyer is now..What a freakin joke...Anyone else have a problem like this?
Pay the $150 and save yourself a headache. :ohwell:

I know about the law... my insurance agent won't let a vehicle get dropped without getting a copy of the tag turn in ticket... I'm surprised your insurance let you drop the vehicle.

Even if you decide to park the vehicle for some length of time, you still can't drop insurance without first turning in the tag. And on a side note, we have commercial vehicles (dump trucks) and just last week received notice that MD will not let us drop insurance on our trucks even if we turn in the tags unless we proved proof that we sold the trucks or scrapped them to an authorized scrap yard.

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
I had a vehicle registered in Md...It was sold on 7/16/08 to a guy in South Carolina...He came up and picked it up and gave me the money and left..I canceled the insurance on the sold vehicle and transfered it to the new vehicle...I turned the tags from the sold vehicle in on the 24th of July...I get a letter from "The Insurance Compliance Division" at MVA saying I owe them $150.00 fine for not having insurance from 7/17/08 to 7/24/08 on the sold vehicle...BTW the $150.00 fine is for days 1 - 30 and $7.00 for each additional uninsured day...So the $7.00 per day kicks in on 9/22/08 if I don't pay the $150.00...Did anyone else in the state of Md know that you were supposed to turn your tags in the same day you cancel your insurance? On the back of the letter there are 9 conditions that are applicable to get out of the fine...#6 applies to me: "VEHICLE SOLD TO A PRIVATE PARTY OR DONATED" Then it goes on to tell me that I have to submit a copy of the bill of sale (DUH, I gave it to the buyer) a copy of the title both sides (Duh, I gave that to the buyer too) and all documents must be signed by the buyer and seller...I don't even know where the buyer is now..What a freakin joke...Anyone else have a problem like this?

Yes. In fact, it's better to wait at day AFTER turning in your tags before canceling your insurance.

AndyMarquisLIVE

I know about the law... my insurance agent won't let a vehicle get dropped without getting a copy of the tag turn in ticket... I'm surprised your insurance let you drop the vehicle.

Even if you decide to park the vehicle for some length of time, you still can't drop insurance without first turning in the tag. And on a side note, we have commercial vehicles (dump trucks) and just last week received notice that MD will not let us drop insurance on our trucks even if we turn in the tags unless we proved proof that we sold the trucks or scrapped them to an authorized scrap yard.
I dropped the SUV off my insurance after I turned the tags in and the title was transferred.

And I STILL got a letter from the MVA. :tantrum

The MVA is useless. They can't keep on top of their shiat, instead they make it the taxpayers' responsibility to keep up with their shiat.

So the MVA's sent me letters telling me they're suspending my registration for the Montero and that they need proof of insurance for the unregistered untagged Montero.

AndyMarquisLIVE

Tell the MVA to take their letter and stick it so far up where the sun don't shine that it ends up in a black hole.

They make it my job to hold on to the documents so I have to go out of my way every few months to deal with their ####ups.

Vince

Yes. In fact, it's better to wait at day AFTER turning in your tags before canceling your insurance.
:yeahthat: Last time I did it Geico reminded me to turn my tags in first and they would cancel the insurance when I called them back and told them the tags were turned in.

Took me months to straighten out a problem with an "uninsured" vehicle. It was the difference between a "0" and an "O". Their mistake, but try to tell THEM that.

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
Tell the MVA to take their letter and stick it so far up where the sun don't shine that it ends up in a black hole.
They make it my job to hold on to the documents so I have to go out of my way every few months to deal with their ####ups.

Even if he's in the wrong? :lol:

lovinmaryland

Did you say that you transfered the insurnace from one car to the other?

lovinmaryland

He said that, but you don't really transfer insurance. You just drop insurance on one vehicle and then insure the other vehicle.

no you transfer it I am an insurance agent... if he did that most companies will extend coverage on the other veh for an additional 14-30 days. Did you bring the FR-19 to your insurance agent or call them about it?

JimW711

Driving the Z
$150.00 for 1 freakin lesson...:smack: for me

I know a couple who's daughter went to the University of Arizona and sold the car while she was out there. She never turned the tags in and when the parents tried to buy a new car some time later, the fine was just over $2,400.

This was back in 2000 or 2001, so this law has been in effect for some time.

Sorry guy.

AndyMarquisLIVE

Even if he's in the wrong? :lol:
Wouldn't matter with them if he was right. Insurance company made sure everything was done by standard protocol and it's the MVA that ####s up and wants to rape me out of $150 because the welfare recipients, crackheads and donkeys working up there can't read, write or speak.

#### them.