What would you rather hear people say?

• Merry Christmas

Votes: 85 83.3%
  • Happy Holidays

Votes: 17 16.7%

• Total voters

FerretRescue

bite me
I am Jewish and I don't necessarily mind that people wish my family a Merry Christmas. I do get bothered when people (mostly people we encounter doing our weekly shopping) ask my daughter if she is ready for Santa/Christmas? I understand that the majority of people celebrate Christmas, but most people don't seem to even comprehend that not everyone celebrates Christmas. I read an editorial in the paper recently where someone assumed that the only people who didn't celebrate Christmas were atheist! My family has many traditions and believes. One and foremost is our belief in G-d. It would just be nice that if someone is going to make an inquisitive remark maybe they should say "What are you going to be doing for the holidays?"
Other than that, I have not beef with people wishing us a Merry Christmas.

many do, maybe just not to you. I have several friends of the jewish faith. They wish me Happy Hanukah i wish them merry Christmas. Done deal.

You answered your own question.

pilot

I try to greet people according to whatever holiday they celebrate. If I know that they're Christian, I'll say "Merry Christmas". If they're Jewish, I'll say "Happy Chanukah". If I don't know what they are, it really depends on what area of the country I'm in.

I first heard "Happy Holidays" when I was spending the holidays in a suburb of Boston where there was a large Jewish population. All the store owners there said "Happy Holidays" because there was a very good chance that their customers did not celebrate Christmas, and it made a lot of sense. Down here I frequently find myself saying "Merry Christmas".

BTW, I'd be willing to bet that while most Jews are not offended by "Merry Christmas", they would really appreciate having their holiday acknowledged.

The important thing is not what is said but how it's meant. I really have to wonder about the people who say, "I'm going to say Merry Christmas WHETHER THEY LIKE IT OR NOT!" That shows real Christmas spirit, folks!

Last edited:

Hules

Curly locks!
While I respect other religious celebrations, I prefer Merry Christmas, especially if they are sending "Christmas Cards"!

bcp

In My Opinion
While I respect other religious celebrations, I prefer Merry Christmas, especially if they are sending "Christmas Cards"!
I respect other religions too, this is why I demand they butt the hell out of the Christian Celebration of Christs birth on just deal with it until its over.
Getting tired of the jews constantly complaining that the display of anything Christian is damaging to their little children.
Dont like Christians? move back to Israel.

Now were the hell did I put my coffee.

pilot

would you go to a birthday party and not acknowledge the guest of honor?

Don't see the analogy. If I went to a Christmas party, of course I would expect people to be wishing me a "Merry Christmas". But not everybody chooses to go to Christmas parties.

bcp

In My Opinion
I see the problem here.
lets see if I can help you out.

In the U.S, the season is Christmas, always has been. Merry Christmas is proper.

In Israel it is hannaka or however they spell it. There it is happy hannaka, or however they spell it.

in MuslimLand its,, well I guess its blow up an infidel day, so it would be Happy blow up an infidel

So, my anology would be very well understood except by those that have been so beaten into a politically correct guilt syndrom that they should not even leave the house anymore.

Merry Christmas to you and yours.

pilot

This sounds like a "What would Jesus do?" moment!

BTW, I always liked the old joke about how Jesus was a nice Jewish boy who went into his daddy's business.

bcp

In My Opinion
This sounds like a "What would Jesus do?" moment!

BTW, I always liked the old joke about how Jesus was a nice Jewish boy who went into his daddy's business.

Actually it is a good WWJD moment. What a better season to try and share the joy of Christ with those that are blind to the truth than Christmas.

Merry Christmas to you and yours.

May the joy of Christ shine on you this year.

~mellabella~

I just posted a thread about this. I get so irritated with all this PC crap that goes on. Even if you don't celebrate Christmas, you can have a good day anyways! Besides, thats about as friendly as you can get from some of the ppl working in customer service these days.

R

residentofcre

I just posted a thread about this. I get so irritated with all this PC crap that goes on. Even if you don't celebrate Christmas, you can have a good day anyways! Besides, thats about as friendly as you can get from some of the ppl working in customer service these days.

If they can't or won't say Merry Christmas... then I will quietly take my Christmas Money elsewhere....

I'm not going to argue over Christmas... It's a time of love... but I am also not going to teach children to believe that Christmas is about believing in Cashmere either....

Burlington Coat Factory and Hundah got the last penny from me forever... oh and when their commercials come on... I'm changing the channel....

Bustem' Down

Give Peas a Chance
I don't care, that option isn't there. I say happy holiday's because I always have, but I don't care what people say to me.