Modular/ Mobile Homes?

Heidi

Looking to buy some land and place a modular (double wide) home on it. Anyone know the rules and regulations in St. Mary's County?

Otter

Nothing to see here
Originally posted by Heidi
Looking to buy some land and place a modular (double wide) home on it. Anyone know the rules and regulations in St. Mary's County?

PM Kwillia, she's the expert.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Originally posted by migtig
She's the queen of my doublewide trailer with the polyester curtains and the redwood deck.....
Thanks RR - now that song is stuck in my head...wonder if I can download it on my new laptop....
YW :biggrin:

sunnydaze

yall stop making fun of double wides they are not really a trailer....it is put together more like a fancy cardboard house

K

Kizzy

Actually, I will defend modular homes. They are put together in a factory and they are not exposed to the weather elements stick built homes are exposed too. I've seen several in Florida that are so nice, an average person wouldn't be able to tell the difference between modular and stick built.

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
Originally posted by IM4Change
Actually, I will defend modular homes. They are put together in a factory and they are not exposed to the weather elements stick built homes are exposed too. I've seen several in Florida that are so nice, an average person wouldn't be able to tell the difference between modular and stick built.

Thanks! My trailer is wonderful.

nomoney

I dont know.........those skunks sure did a job on the floor to my trailer......I'm sure they couldn't have done that to know fansy spancy stick built house.

sunnydaze

Yeah, we are starting to get some nice trailer parks around here, they cleaned up that one on Great Mills Road...looks like they even have a community pool. I can see renting but I would not buy a trailer and keep it in a park

Hot N Bothered

Originally posted by kwillia
:yeahthat:.... and because they have to be structurally strong enough to withstand the road trip in two pieces, they tend to be structurally stronger overall and can withstand abuse most stick-builts can't. :dance:
:yeahthat: but there is a big difference between "modular" and a "mobile" home. Mobile homes don't have a foundation, although they may be on a concrete slab. They usually still have the wheels or at least axles on them. A double-wide is basically a mobile that comes in two parts and they bolt them together.

Modulars on the other hand can be made out of any house plan. They can be two or more floors and they are put on a foundation. They could even have a basement. Shoot, go look at the place in Hughesville next to the warehouses, two out of three of those are really nice places, not what you'd call a "trailer" at all.

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
I agree... modulars are better constructed.
The problem is the stigma associated with them... It hurts the resale value.

K

Kizzy

Originally posted by sleuth
I agree... modulars are better constructed.
The problem is the stigma associated with them... It hurts the resale value.

You know, I notice that the stigma associated with them only exist here in this area. Other areas, it is the norm and people think nothing about buying them.

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
You know, I notice that the stigma associated with them only exist here in this area. Other areas, it is the norm.

The stigma still exists in the midwest... where I'm from.

SmallTown

Football season!
You know, I notice that the stigma associated with them only exist here in this area. Other areas, it is the norm and people think nothing about buying them.

not in many areas of Virginia, and like sleuth said, the midwest as well.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Originally posted by sleuth
The stigma still exists in the midwest... where I'm from.
The trailer parks in Lincoln are pretty nice, at least the ones I've seen. We lived in one for awhile when I was a kid and it was like a high-end apartment complex - swimming pools, weight room, clubhouse, like that. The ones in Lex Park are pretty crummy, though.

willie

Once a good modular is put together and lived in, there is no sigma because you're not going to be able to tell the difference with a well built stick house. Modular and mobile are a long way apart.