Mold on hay?

Sparks

When stacking hay, I was told to stack the bottom course cut side down and it would be fine. Now that I'm down to the bottom course, the part that was touching the ground (on rubber mats) has some white mold on it. Not a lot, but you can smell it and see it a little.

It's not inside the bale, just on that edge. Would you feed it?

W

WhoCares

When stacking hay, I was told to stack the bottom course cut side down and it would be fine. Now that I'm down to the bottom course, the part that was touching the ground (on rubber mats) has some white mold on it. Not a lot, but you can smell it and see it a little.

I am so :jameo: with colic I wouldn't feed it. That is just me though.

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
Uggg hard call...if I had some that were NOT pigs and I knew they would pick around it I would..If I had pigs and they would eat it all I would not..Can you pick it off..Any other year I would say throw it away but this year I would hate to do that too..

Sparks

Uggg hard call...if I had some that were NOT pigs and I knew they would pick around it I would..If I had pigs and they would eat it all I would not..Can you pick it off..Any other year I would say throw it away but this year I would hate to do that too..

Exactly - any other year! And this is my GOOD hay. :bawl: I hate to waste 15-20 bales just because it has crud on the edge.

Before I opened the first bale I took a broom and sort of swept off the icky part. I fed some in the field but not in the stall.

Damn, this pisses me off. :tantrum:tantrum

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
Would stacking the bales on shipping pallets in the future help prevent this?

Probably I always stack mine on pallets and have not had problems...but when I put on rubber mats even with plastic I had the problem she is having..

Sparks

Normally, I would have used pallets underneath but a good friend who grows hay told me it would be fine. Hmmm.:smack:

Great. I have more hay upstairs stacked that way. :tantrum

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
Probably I always stack mine on pallets and have not had problems...but when I put on rubber mats even with plastic I had the problem she is having..
Yup. We keep ours on pallets too. And there is a layer of 6" pea gravel under that in our portable garage too.
But with the cost and availability of hay what it is this year....ya have to think twice about throwing ANYthing away. If by chance we do get it, we break the bale up, pull out the ikky that i can see, and the horses leave what they don't like. We are also feeding enough that they aren't forced to eat it, and Sparks, my guess is, you are too. They won't eat the ikky stuff, they'll sleep on it.

If your hay guy specifically TOLD you it would be OK....I might consider taking all the stuff back that has it on it, and asking him to replace it?

I have a good article on supplimenting in times of hay shortage if anyone would like for me to put it into .pdf and post it. It's an interesting read.

Sparks

if it's upstairs on a wooden floor you should be fine.

Well, not exactly.....:whistle: We put down plastic so it wouldn't fall through the floor cracks and make a mess below. :doh: I guess I've just learned an expensive lesson.... Though that batch of hay upstairs cured elsewhere longer so it may be ok.

The friend who told me it would be ok to stack on the mats isn't the same person who sold me the hay.

Sadielady

Ahhhh Florida!
Well, not exactly.....:whistle: We put down plastic so it wouldn't fall through the floor cracks and make a mess below. :doh: I guess I've just learned an expensive lesson.... Though that batch of hay upstairs cured elsewhere longer so it may be ok.

The friend who told me it would be ok to stack on the mats isn't the same person who sold me the hay.

You might have to smack your friend.:lmao: We always used pallets.

forever jewel

Green Eyed Lady
Growing up, we always stacked it on the hardwood floor of the barn loft. It usually kept well that way.

As for the mold, I wouldn't feed it. Its much cheaper to throw out the hay, then pay for a vet bill.

Four*Leaf*Farm

RIP Quinn
:howdy:When I run out of pallets, I use blocks/bricks and boards to stack hay on.

And upstairs in the loft, my solution to hay drifting down throught the cracks, I layed down that weed block fabric type breathable material.. Works great.

Phyxius

Zoooooooom
:howdy:When I run out of pallets, I use blocks/bricks and boards to stack hay on.

And upstairs in the loft, my solution to hay drifting down throught the cracks, I layed down that weed block fabric type breathable material.. Works great.

If you ever need pallets let me know, I've got a connection. :whistle::lmao:

J and M

If you're going to throw it away, there's a person in the horse classified who is looking to buy moldy hay for their cattle.

smurfette

Yup. We keep ours on pallets too. And there is a layer of 6" pea gravel under that in our portable garage too.
But with the cost and availability of hay what it is this year....ya have to think twice about throwing ANYthing away. If by chance we do get it, we break the bale up, pull out the ikky that i can see, and the horses leave what they don't like. We are also feeding enough that they aren't forced to eat it, and Sparks, my guess is, you are too. They won't eat the ikky stuff, they'll sleep on it.

If your hay guy specifically TOLD you it would be OK....I might consider taking all the stuff back that has it on it, and asking him to replace it?

I have a good article on supplimenting in times of hay shortage if anyone would like for me to put it into .pdf and post it. It's an interesting read.

I'm interested in reading that article on supplementing.... I know some people who use "hay stretcher"... large pellets of compacted forage I guess. Not too sure about it. Any extra infor on supplementing would be great. Thanks.

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
I'm interested in reading that article on supplementing.... I know some people who use "hay stretcher"... large pellets of compacted forage I guess. Not too sure about it. Any extra infor on supplementing would be great. Thanks.

My .pdf is too large. pm me your email addy and i'll email it.