More Trent Lott stuff

MGKrebs

endangered species
(The other Lott thread was getting big and drifting off to other topics.)

I heard an NPR report on Friday that Lott had said he wouldn't resign the post without giving up the Senate seat too. My take on it was that he was upping the stakes; trying to extinguish any resistance in his own party before it got started. (If he were to resign, the Miss. governor would appoint a replacement, and he's a democrat.)

But then Nickles asked for a new vote anyway.

Interesting complications, regardless of what one thinks of Lott.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I say to hell with him - call his bluff. If he wants to go completely down in flames, more power to him (no pun intended).

B

Bruzilla

Sounds like you're right MGK. If he leaves the Senate, a lot of issues come back into play that the Republicans would rather not. By tying his leadership role to his Senate seat he's pretty much holding a gun to the head of the Republicans.

Way to go Trent!

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
I prefer that Lott resign his Senate seat, but I would be satisfied to see him step down as Majority Leader. At this point, he's just as much a liability to the GOP as Clinton was to the Democrats. ("I did not have segregation with that woman...")

demsformd

I was talking to one of my liberal friends and he was talking about how bad he felt for Lott because of the way that the media was treating him. This is all I have to say, I'm glad that the media is doing this to him. After what the Repubs and media did to character assassinate Clinton, Lott deserves this.

MGKrebs

endangered species
And whether it's right or wrong,

that's the way it is.

As long as we desire conflict and controversy in our news, they will keep sticking microphones in anyone's face who has something controversial to say.

demsformd

I saw that President Bush is not going to intervene in the whole controversy. So much for that great leadership ability of his...don't pick a positon.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Bush is doing the right thing - this is a Senate thing, not Presidential. He's also doing the right thing in hanging Lott out to dry and not giving him partisan support.

After what the Repubs and media did to character assassinate Clinton, Lott deserves this.
Excuse me. Clinton brought his troubles on himself, as did Lott.

demsformd

You're right MGKrebs, I am feeling fiesty...I think that Al stepping out has something to do with it. I feel just so energized.
Anyway, I completely agree you VRA, Clinton and Lott did bring their problems on themselves. But I'm glad that Lott is getting exactly what he is.

Frank

Chairman of the Board
Originally posted by demsformd
I saw that President Bush is not going to intervene in the whole controversy. So much for that great leadership ability of his...don't pick a positon.

Nor would I expect him to. He's already denounced the remarks, themselves and that is all he ought to do - what the *Senate* does with Lott is the *Senate's* business. The President doesn't hire or fire Senators, or revoke their offices. They don't answer to him.

demsformd

Come on, Frank, do you understand the way that congressional politics works? If your party is in the White House, you answer to him. Anyways, this is not a Senate problem, a Republican problem, or even a black problem. This is an American problem...that is, the matter of race relations. A prominent leader in the Congress has in effect embraced segregation. I would think that our president, who felt that he should display his leadership so he could get more Republicans in the Senate, would feel more compelled to choose their leader and demonstrate his own leadership than he does. Maybe his silence is in some way a sign of weak leadership or support of Lott's comments. Makes one wonder.

Frank

Chairman of the Board
Originally posted by demsformd
Come on, Frank, do you understand the way that congressional politics works?

Sure I do - do you? Senators generally consider themselves equal to the President in political stature - and they frequently go against him.

A prominent leader in the Congress has in effect embraced segregation. . [/B]

Oh he did not - he said, in effect, at a man's *birthday* party - you'd have been a great President. You have to *interpret* that to mean also - since you believed in segregation 54 years ago, that would have been a good idea. He's repudiated segregation, period. So let's just NOT go there. If it was SO immediately noxious, it wouldn't have taken the press and everyone three days before they said boo about it.

He said something *careless* - he ignored Strom's segregationist past while he lauded him on his birthday. People in politics DO this - they ignore Byrd's past, and his "white N*****s" remark he spoke on TV *last year* - they overlook Jackson saying "Hymeytown" - they overlook remarks like that. I don't like it - but they do.

Now - this is a failing - of Bush? He has openly let his sentiment be known. I actually respect him MORE by letting them resolve this, than going in and doing damage control.

I really can't believe the country is focussed on a remark a guy made on some guy's birthday. We've got bigger fish to fry.

Hessian

The entire Lott thing is pathetic:

1) His comment was given with a tongue -n-cheek manor ...was he referring to Leadership style? Anti communist stand? Economic policies?..or just soley on the segregation issue?
2) If 3 or 4% of the nation erupts with denunciation for some poorly made comment: who really cares? Let them yowel and stammer and froth...but no, Lott has got to spend enormous time tripping over his dozens of apologies.
Pathetic....speak you mind man and stick to your word...screw the political correctness which cripples us!
3) He went on BET saying he favored quotas and all sorts of other Liberal spewings...Do people actually think this will bring forgiveness?
Heck NO! Being nice and compromising with Liberal earns you more abuse.
Ignoring them is best: they are irrelevent dope smoking long-haired maggot infested, tree hugging, bra burning losers.
Should Lott go? Only out of the Leader's position. And only because he's gone mushy (for years!)

To equate him with Clinton's endless list of misdeeds is...um...not just out of proportion but a sign of reality depravation.

By the way: Did you hear that an Anti Clinto Library will be built in Little Rock? Private Funding is underway and it could easily be a beacon of truth amidst the Mammoth hall of shame they are building.

STMLADY

I have to agree with several statements made especially the ones where Bush is doing right by staying out of it.

The Senate and House are their Own entities. They work to keep Balance, therefore the President doesn't have power over them..

I think what has screwed Lott is the simple fact that he has spoken his mind several times about segragation and it keeps coming back to haunt him.

Comparing Clinton and Lott...well that is just stupid. All the evidence was there for all the world to see. The Clinton protectors did all they could to snowball the rest of us...but gee some of us know how to duck when a snowball is thrown. In the end the DNA smiled through... (Gotcha)

demsformd

Originally posted by Frank
Oh he did not - he said, in effect, at a man's *birthday* party - you'd have been a great President. You have to *interpret* that to mean also - since you believed in segregation 54 years ago, that would have been a good idea. He's repudiated segregation, period. So let's just NOT go there. If it was SO immediately noxious, it wouldn't have taken the press and everyone three days before they said boo about it...
I really can't believe the country is focussed on a remark a guy made on some guy's birthday. We've got bigger fish to fry.
Ok, Frank, I can understand if Lott had only said this at ONE birthday party, but Lott has said this several times about Thurmond. He has gone in front of a white supremicist group and told them that their principles were right. He opposed extending the Voting Rights Act and the Martin Luther King Holiday. He opposed the integration of his fraternity. Thurmond, seeing that his positions were wrong, voted to extend the Voting Rights Act and for the Martin Luther King holiday. I respect Thurmond, I feel that he has much more credibility when he apologizes than Thurmond. Byrd also voted with Thurmond to extend the act and to create the holiday. Thurmond, a Republican, and Byrd, a Democrat, have made their peace if you ask me. But Lott did not, he is still clinging to the old times and I refuse to buy his apologies...act the way you speak Mr. Lott. He went to Congress as an aide for a segregationist Democrat and once he saw that the Dems were actually "ni***r lovers" he bolted because of "states' rights." It is well known that the GOP has used race-baiting and code to suggest their support of southern racisim that once dominated my party. We got rid of it, will you?
As for Hessian's remarks, have you read the Dixiecrat platform?Well I did in 1969 while taking a politics course. It dedicates about two pages to anti-communism and economic development and then ten pages to race-relations. During the campaign, Thurmond only referred to segregation and "states' rights," not any of the things that you mentioned. Thurmond's 1948 candidacy and segregation go hand in hand, not his positions on the economy.
To all the conservatives, read the current edition of Time, it has some great news coverage of the Lott controversy. Also read the editorial in the Baltimore Son about how the GOP is not the party of Lincoln. May enlighten you, probably not, but at least see what we "irrelevent dope smoking long-haired maggot infested, tree hugging, bra burning" and ni***r" lovin liberals have to say.
Hessian, I do love that great insult of liberals...great stereotype! Got a good laugh.

demsformd

Corrections to my post: when it says that Thurmond has more credibility...than Thurmond, I mean Lott. And its the Baltimore Sun.
I just feel stupid if i didn't mention that lol.

Hessian

Granted: the Party of Lincoln has distinct differences from today's republicans-
Just like the Party of Kennedy is not the Democratic party of today.

Oh....just an afterthought...I didn't recall Gore going through a manditory 7-8 day apology and public ablutions for his comment regarding the "Extra Chromosome" Republicans:
Where were the Special Olympics sponsorship?...the willingness to fund more therapists and clinics for Mongoloidism? Where was the cold shoulder from fellow Democrats?
Couldn't he deliver several addresses in his wonderful wooden form pledging to change his bias toward our Mentally handicapped?