Motor Oil

Pete

Repete
Kyle said:
3000 miles is ridiculously low in any modern vehicle.

Currently both of my F-150s specify 5w-20 and 5000 miles. My 92 used to be 7500 on Schedule A, which was 90% of the use it saw.
Light duty with modern oil that is good. With synthetic you can go even further like 10K-15K. I would get jittery going that long but I tow trailers and stuff.

Pete

Repete
Airgasm said:
My reference was to days gone by with big ole V-8's, V-6's, and hell even fours.. When they had points, condensors, timing, and point gaps. Changing the oil was a normal process, as was most suppoting parts in and around the motor!
I don't get it, I changed many sets of points and rotors, condensors and I even had a Ford that you took the "computer" (electronic ignition) and put it in the freezer and it would run for a week and that had nothing to do with oil. We changed oil every 3K or so even with multi grade. I can't think of and car I have had or worked on in the last 15 years that had a recommended drain interval of 3K, they are always 5-6K.

Pete

Repete
Anyone remember when the climate control stuff was run by vacuum? when you would move the temp lever left or right and you would hear your dash hiss. :lol:

MJ

Material Girl
PREMO Member
Pete said:
You can stay :huggy:

Just don't fall for the blinker fluid gag or else :buttkick:

That was too easy. I almost blurted out 38D before you posted. :lol:

dustin

UAIOE
Pete said:
Anyone remember when the climate control stuff was run by vacuum? when you would move the temp lever left or right and you would hear your dash hiss. :lol:
yup my jetta was like that. i just sold it last year. :lol:

willie

Airgasm said:
Beg to differ... In the old days it was 5000 to 7000 miles (long before snythetics). In the last 5 years, manufacturers recommendations have been 3000 miles. Me thinks change often, spend more!
The only time a 3000 mile oil change is recommended by a manufacturer is under severe usage. Not high speed but severe use like 5 mile commutes in the winter. The main promoter of short changes is Jiffy Lube but the local dealer will also try and convince you of this regardless of what your owners manual says.

Agee

willie said:
The only time a 3000 mile oil change is recommended by a manufacturer is under severe usage. Not high speed but severe use like 5 mile commutes in the winter. The main promoter of short changes is Jiffy Lube but the local dealer will also try and convince you of this regardless of what your owners manual says.

Good point!
Push your vehicle, change the oil more often!
Common sense, yes?

bcp

In My Opinion
Pete said:
Dimmer switch on the floor where it belonged!
My dimmer is automatic.
It turns off the high beams as soon as another car is visible in the distance, regardless of what you want.

flashing lights at intersections are kinda funny with it, the flashing light goes on, my beams go off, the flashing light goes off, my beams come on.
off on off on off on.
they also cut off when you come up on certain road signs that reflect the headlights back to you.

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
bcp said:
My dimmer is automatic.
It turns off the high beams as soon as another car is visible in the distance, regardless of what you want.

flashing lights at intersections are kinda funny with it, the flashing light goes on, my beams go off, the flashing light goes off, my beams come on.
off on off on off on.
they also cut off when you come up on certain road signs that reflect the headlights back to you.
:yikes: I'd hate that.

bcp

In My Opinion
aps45819 said:
:yikes: I'd hate that.
you can set the amount of visible light required to activate the off on sequence, and you still have the option of using the high beams or not.
I set it low light so that it will pick up on tail lights of the cars in front as well as the head beams of those cars coming at me. This way I dont end up blasting someones mirrors with my lights.
it can be set so high that unless a car is approaching you at a close distance they will not go off, but as I said, this leaves the car in front blinded if you forget to cut them off with the switch.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Floyd2004 said:
If the Jeep has has ANY conventional oil in it then you are doomed to that and that only. Going from Conventional to syn. will break down most of your seals mush faster.

BUT if the previous owner used Full Syn. (stock for any DCX vehicle) then keep on using it. I Use full syn. and change it out every 5-7k with no issues. Its an 04' with 53k on the dial

Not true, you can switch back and forth and even mix syn with dino without any repercussions..

The biggest benefit to Syn is it sheds heat much better then dino, your jeep will run cooler, and it's the one reason Syn lasts longer.

As far as oil changes, WHO started the suggestion of oil changes every 3,000 miles? When I bought my first car they suggested between 5 - 6,000 miles, oil only, and every other change the filter. Now the oil companies are selling twice as much oil, and telling you to change the filter at EVERY oil change, yet there is test data out there with full synthetic showing NO breakdown in viscosity after 50,000 miles.. Mecedes got in trouble because they were running Synthetic in their cars, and the owners manual said Oil Change Interval 50,000 miles, so dipstick consumer would put in regular Dino, and try to go the 50,000 miles THEN sue Mercedes because their car brokedown.

AIR, I would go with full synthetic, it's worth the extra money in my book, especially if you are doing the oil change yourself.