Mountain Lion Seen on Eastern Shore

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
http://balancedecology.org/Mountain...ions_about_Texas_Mountain_Lions.html#Melanism

"Black Mountain Lions (panthers) do not exist. Black individuals within a species are a result of a condition called Melanism, the over-expression of the pigment Melanin in the skin that creates the dark skin color. Some species of cats, such as the Jaguar and the African Leopard, exhibit Melanism. Mountain Lions, however, do not.

Jaguars are the only large cat species in North America that may exhibit Melanism."

That is UNTRUE

drivingdaisy

The mountain lions are here to visit the coyotes.

I don't think mountain lions technically roar, they scream or purr or something.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
Source other than Joe Bob from St Marys County? This isnt the first source I have heard this from.

The knowledge is old. New knowledge of the mountain lions shows there are black ones. I saw a black one. The first thing I said was OMG a black panther. I am not the only one who has seen the black ones on the East Coast.

I didn't get close enough to see if the fur was true black though, my bad.

C

czygvtwkr

The knowledge is old. New knowledge of the mountain lions shows there are black ones. I saw a black one. The first thing I said was OMG a black panther. I am not the only one who has seen the black ones on the East Coast.

I didn't get close enough to see if the fur was true black though, my bad.

Show me, otherwise your just someone who saw a black house cat and over reacted.

'Black panther sightings' in Bay Area parks

This past summer, The Chronicle received a photo of a "black panther," which was forwarded to the Department of Fish and Game for expert analysis. After studying it, scientists responded with a clear verdict: "This is a black house cat." Bobzian agreed: "I really think people are seeing house cats most of the time." According to Shelly Lewis of East Bay parks, the rash of sightings of black panthers at Las Trampas Regional Wilderness was "a story that someone let loose several black cats" about 10 years ago.

Last edited by a moderator:
C

czygvtwkr

It doesn't bother me if you believe me or not.

I'm not trying to bother you, I'm tired of all these false rumors I hear in St Marys County. Im suprised I havent heard one of a Grizzly bear.

Just last week a bunch of people mistook a fox for a Coyote and someones cousins trail cam video of a dear being killed by a Coyote was found on the internet from another state.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
I'm not trying to bother you, I'm tired of all these false rumors I hear in St Marys County. Im suprised I havent heard one of a Grizzly bear.

Just last week a bunch of people mistook a fox for a Coyote and someones cousins trail cam video of a dear being killed by a Coyote was found on the internet from another state.

I admit that people mis-identify critters all the time, but I KNOW what I SAW, it was a BIG BLACK CAT that I estimate to be about 5/6 feet long with a long tail and it probably weighed about 130 lbs. It wasn't a 25 lb large house cat, nor was it a Bobcat.

Now either the Black Panthers/Jaguars have moved North from their usual Southern range, or there has been some cross breeding of the tan mountain lions/cougars and the Black Panthers/Jaguars? Not sure how it has come to be, but it IS.

There are too many of the sightings of black ones for there to only be 1 or 2 of them. I hope to have my phone or camera on me the next time I see one.

antwheat

I am the Decider!
chupacabra

Has anyone even entertained the idea that these are actually sightings of a chupacabra? :eyebrow:

Chris0nllyn

DNR did a presentation about Coyotes at a recent Sportsman Dinner I went to.

They are down here, just in low numbers. They are mainly north/northwest of DC.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
DNR did a presentation about Coyotes at a recent Sportsman Dinner I went to.

They are down here, just in low numbers. They are mainly north/northwest of DC.

The one I saw in my backyard was such a shock even though a family member said they had seen it before. With so few sightings, and no evidence to prove what one saw, te sightings get passed off as other critters.

There are a few that have SoMD as their territory. One is black and one is tan. I've heard there are also some dark charcoal colored ones too (offspring of the colors mixing?).

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
sighting in PA

Per the Eastern Puma Research Network:

"Last weekend, at Myersdale, PA Maple Festival, received data on 35 sightings across the Keystone State & western Maryland since 1960s. 1 lady told of "a black panther in Green Ridge State Forest and forest ranger remained in 100-foot high fire tower for 6 hours, rather than face panther waiting at bottom on ground"...."

ReadingTheNews

Per the Eastern Puma Research Network:

"Last weekend, at Myersdale, PA Maple Festival, received data on 35 sightings across the Keystone State & western Maryland since 1960s. 1 lady told of "a black panther in Green Ridge State Forest and forest ranger remained in 100-foot high fire tower for 6 hours, rather than face panther waiting at bottom on ground"...."

Are there any pictures in the article linked via facebook? (If there aren't, in this day and age of cell phones with cameras, I'd find that rather unusual.)
If the article could be copied/pasted here, that be appreciated. (I do not have a facebook account.)

:ohwell: