Moving to Maryland

DallasRed

Hi everyone..It's my first post. I'm currently in GA moving to MD this summer. Anyone here live in the Pax River area? Any tips or advise? Look foward to chatting with everyone :patriot:

R

retiredweaxman

Congrats! You'll love it here! :yahoo:

My wife and I moved here in March 2008 and absolutely love it!!! DC is only an hour away, Baltimore's Inner Harbor about 2 hours away, Virginia Beach is 3 hours, Atlantic City and Philly less than 4 hours. There is always something to do and places to see. SOMD.com is a great site to watch for local happenings.

We have a house in Pittsburgh and have decided to rent here (it is a long story). There are plenty of apartments to look at and, considering the area, they are reasonably priced.

Plenty of shopping here in the Lexington Park area with all the major retailers around. Sorry, the nearest mall is 45 minutes away (in Waldorf).

Lots of great food. As you would expect, the seafood is fresh. Restaurants run the gamut from Mickey D's, BK, etc through Applebee's, Ruby Tuesday up to the more upscale places (100 bucks with tip included for 2 people) on Solomons Island.

DallasRed

WOW! DH is originally from Pittsburgh and like you we will be Renting our house out in GA. I had it on the market for over a year. I kid you not I only had the one showing. All that is selling are Foreclosures.

It is a military move so I am looking at Base Housing for now.

Nearest Mall 45 minutes away..How will I live J/K

Do you have kids in school? If so what are the good school districts. I need all 3 Elementary, Middle and High School.

theArtistFormerlyKnownAs

Hey now..It was in the teens here a few days ago....I can deal with it..I grew up in MN LOL

Do you get much snow up there?

Not so much.
Especially down here near Pax, we're surrounded by water almost so that keeps the snow to a minimum...though I can't recall exactly why that is. :confused: We'll get a big snow every once in a great while though.

R

retiredweaxman

WOW! DH is originally from Pittsburgh and like you we will be Renting our house out in GA. I had it on the market for over a year. I kid you not I only had the one showing. All that is selling are Foreclosures.

Do you have kids in school? If so what are the good school districts. I need all 3 Elementary, Middle and High School.

Sorry, no kids, so I am unsure of how the schools are in the local area.

Sorry to hear about the house. What you are seeing in the GA market is the exact reason I decided to keep the house in Pittsburgh. Besides, it gives me a place to stay when we head back that way. Our house is actually located in Beaver County, northwest of Pittsburgh - about 40 minutes or so.

The phone number for Base Housing Welcome Center is 301-342-3846 (DSN 342-3846). You might want to give them a call to check on waiting lists, availability, etc.

K

ketelone

What base are you coming from in GA? I moved here from Jacksonville 2 years ago and don't like it here at all. Don't get me wrong, it is pretty. Just not a lot to do unless you want to drive.

I live in base housing too and it is not that bad where I live.

DallasRed

What base are you coming from in GA? I moved here from Jacksonville 2 years ago and don't like it here at all. Don't get me wrong, it is pretty. Just not a lot to do unless you want to drive.

I live in base housing too and it is not that bad where I live.

Dh was at NAS Atlanta..Now he is coming from VA Beach..I stayed in GA while he did Sea Duty..

Driving doesn't bother me...Even though I'm in Metro Atlanta it still takes me 40-60 minutes to get anywhere.

Which housing are you at? I'm going to Challenger Estates. From what they told me it is still being built and I will get a new house.

godsbutterfly

Free to Fly
My daughter and her husband live in military housing here and they really like it. They aren't on the actual base though so I haven't seen those. I moved here from The Va. Beach/Norfolk area 3 years ago and I really love it! Good luck with your move!

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Hi DallasRed and welcome to southern Maryland!

Our main site contains all sorts of information for residents, and you can also check out our Relocation Guide. Plus the forums are an excellent resource for information as well - just ask and someone will typically be able to help you.

You'll like it here!

T

toppick08

Hi everyone..It's my first post. I'm currently in GA moving to MD this summer. Anyone here live in the Pax River area? Any tips or advise? Look foward to chatting with everyone :patriot:

Welcome.....:howdy:

Just keep 3 things in mind, and you'll fit in just fine..

1. Duct Tape
2. Toggle Switches
3. and a cold 10 oz.

:patriot:

bcp

In My Opinion
Look up a guy by the name of James P. Cusick SR when you get here.
He is a local artist that specializes in giving area tours while teaching you the politics of the state and region.

He can often be found at the correctional facility speaking about God, Parental responsibility and political science.

had to edit because I got Mr Cusacks name wrong. twice

Last edited:

StrawberryGal

Sweet and Innocent
Look up a guy by the name of James Cusack SR when you get here.
He is a local artist that specializes in giving area tours while teaching you the politics of the state and region.

He can often be found at the correctional facility speaking about God, Parental responsibility and political science.

had to edit because I got Mr Cusacks name wrong.

It's James P. Cusick SR.