Moving to Maryland

DallasRed

:howdy:

Hey... The houses are beautiful. The layouts are all different depending on what kind of house you get. Their are singles, duplex, and triplexes. All of which are huge. You would get a four bedroom if you have three kids... you will have a seperate dining room, huge kitchen, living room... the master bathroom is huge... dual sinks, and so on... oh and also a seperate two car garage... The lots are small, but the have playgrounds for the kiddos. This is the first time we haved lived on base housing, and we love it. As far as school systems, i am not sure... my babies are too little so we havent reached that point yet.
Their is a clinic on base... its small, but nice...
You will like it here... if you don't mind driving. I love it! We came from Jacksonville... I hated it there, so this is a nice change. Heres a website that might help a bit... Lincoln Military Housing | Navy, Marine Corps, Army, Air Force

Do you have to use the clinic? I've been using Tricare Prime for years and I get to pick my DR here in GA..Is it the same up there...I am able to pick because there are no Navy clinics nearby..If that makes sense...

How many Cabinets would you say is in the kitchen..The website drives me nuts because they only show the outside of the house...I will be getting a single family 4 bedroom house.

Thanks once again!

I hear ya about Jax..never been but when I asked around they said high crime rate, Schools are bad etc..We didn't even bother trying to get orders there...

K

ketelone

Do you have to use the clinic? I've been using Tricare Prime for years and I get to pick my DR here in GA..Is it the same up there...I am able to pick because there are no Navy clinics nearby..If that makes sense...

How many Cabinets would you say is in the kitchen..The website drives me nuts because they only show the outside of the house...I will be getting a single family 4 bedroom house.

Thanks once again!

I hear ya about Jax..never been but when I asked around they said high crime rate, Schools are bad etc..We didn't even bother trying to get orders there...

That is not true about ALL of Jacksonville. Yes, there are parts that are bad. It is like that everywhere! Even here in Patuxent River....heck, you go off base and Ta-Da....you are in a high crime area.

Jacksonville is a pretty place, if you know where to live and hang out. The schools in Clay county are great! Duval, not so much.

Jamiemar21

Thanks once again!

You will have to go to the base clinic. If you need any kind of specialty appointment, they send you out in town...

Theirs a ton of kitchen cabnits and drawers.... More space than you will need... their is also a huge built in pantry... If youre getting a single family house... they are upgraded...cherry cabnits, garden tubs, ect...Super nice!!!

About Jax... I hated it... too busy, the crime rate was really high (and im from Detroit, lol), The traffic!!!! Schools are bad... I could go on, and on, lol. Anything else let me know! :howdy:

K

ketelone

You will have to go to the base clinic. If you need any kind of specialty appointment, they send you out in town...

Theirs a ton of kitchen cabnits and drawers.... More space than you will need... their is also a huge built in pantry... If youre getting a single family house... they are upgraded...cherry cabnits, garden tubs, ect...Super nice!!!

About Jax... I hated it... too busy, the crime rate was really high (and im from Detroit, lol), The traffic!!!! Schools are bad... I could go on, and on, lol. Anything else let me know! :howdy:

They just changed that rule. Since there are not many providers at the clinic, all you have to do is call Tri-Care and you can go out in town. I just found out around Christmas time. I still use the base and was told by my provider that the clinic is going to eventaully provide to Active Duty only. They are getting rid of a lot of the Docs and Nurse Practitioners at the clinic.

Jamiemar21

They just changed that rule. Since there are not many providers at the clinic, all you have to do is call Tri-Care and you can go out in town. I just found out around Christmas time. I still use the base and was told by my provider that the clinic is going to eventaully provide to Active Duty only. They are getting rid of a lot of the Docs and Nurse Practitioners at the clinic.

oh really? ill just go there until the tell me i cant anymore, lol. i love my doc, and my kids doc is really good... oh well...

K

ketelone

oh really? ill just go there until the tell me i cant anymore, lol. i love my doc, and my kids doc is really good... oh well...

I am the same way. It is just easier for me and my kids. It is close and I don't have to worry about getting a medication the pharmacy doesn't carry. I am lazy (and cheap) like that! LOL

DallasRed

I am the same way. It is just easier for me and my kids. It is close and I don't have to worry about getting a medication the pharmacy doesn't carry. I am lazy (and cheap) like that! LOL

Thanks for all the tips...I am lazy with the RX's and just pay the 3bucks for them..Instead of driving to the base..I am so glad to read that I can pick out my own DR's

Now what is this you say...The crime rate is bad right outside the base : ( From what I understood the base housing is only 5 miles from the base : o

theArtistFormerlyKnownAs

Thanks for all the tips...I am lazy with the RX's and just pay the 3bucks for them..Instead of driving to the base..I am so glad to read that I can pick out my own DR's

Now what is this you say...The crime rate is bad right outside the base : ( From what I understood the base housing is only 5 miles from the base : o

If you're in Wildewood, you're in the better direction :lol:
Even down "right outside the base" is only bad compared to everything else...it's still not horrible by any stretch.

K

ketelone

Where you are going to be is fine. There is a road that leads into one of the gates that is known for high crime. You pretty much don't want to be alone there after dark. You will learn quickly where the safe places are. It is a small place and where you are going to be is pretty nice. I know the houses are fabulous! We drove through there and it is really nice.

The base pharmacy is int he Exchange here. It is not usually very busy so you might want to consider getting your medication there. It usually takes me about 5 minutes to get mine.

onebdzee

off the shelf
Just got the notice from the High School....Leonardtown High will be redistricted and the kids(a whopping 6 of them) that live in Challenger estates(or whatever that new base housing is called behind Target) will be going there next school year

DallasRed

Just got the notice from the High School....Leonardtown High will be redistricted and the kids(a whopping 6 of them) that live in Challenger estates(or whatever that new base housing is called behind Target) will be going there next school year

Now is this true..The base housing lady told me this was a better school than Great Mills..Add my boy and that will make it 7 LOL

I'm so excited that my youngest is going to a brand new school..I kid you not..here in GA it is so overcrowded that she is in a Trailer this year...I feel like I am in REDNECK hell at the moment...Not to mention tornados like to hit in the area...

theArtistFormerlyKnownAs

Now is this true..The base housing lady told me this was a better school than Great Mills..Add my boy and that will make it 7 LOL

I'm so excited that my youngest is going to a brand new school..I kid you not..here in GA it is so overcrowded that she is in a Trailer this year...I feel like I am in REDNECK hell at the moment...Not to mention tornados like to hit in the area...

Ummmmm.....
hmmm
at least we don't have tornadoes very often?

onebdzee

off the shelf

Yea, there was a total of 18 kids that got redistricted :bigwhoop:

Of course my house didn't again....I live half mile on one side and 300 feet on the other from the district line :ohwell:

I think that your other kids(not sure what grades) will be going to Town Creek Elem./Esperanza Middle....they are both great schools