Moving to Saint Mary's County: Leonardtown vs Lexington Park

Dupontster

Would THIS face lie?
I would say Leonardtown or Chopticon as far as a school goes....Stay away fro Lexington Park....Merrick Homes has a new development just below Leonardtown across from Whirlwind Rd....They have a model open now....That is close to LHS....If you like a more layed back country type atmosphere there is the 7th District, Mechanicsville, Clements, Morganza, Helen areas.....

Mustang

In All Fairness

Lexington Park does have a few rough areas but it also has many very good locations. I own a home in the Esperanza Farms area and love it there. It is only five minutes from the base, is tranquil, and is crime free. Leonardtown is okay, but Lexington Park is also full of potentially great homes.

Most detractors of Lexington Park are not familiar with it, only know it through the hysterical media, and perpetuate its urban legends.

C

czygvtwkr

Lexington Park does have a few rough areas but it also has many very good locations. I own a home in the Esperanza Farms area and love it there. It is only five minutes from the base, is tranquil, and is crime free. Leonardtown is okay, but Lexington Park is also full of potentially great homes.

Most detractors of Lexington Park are not familiar with it, only know it through the hysterical media, and perpetuate its urban legends.

I second that. Each school in St marys has its drug, gang and race problems though.

C

czygvtwkr

:nono: Not really....The boys at Chopticon are straight....If they mess up they'll lose their tractor driving priviliges.....:roflmao:

I don't know personally but a fairly recent graduate told me they did to a degree

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo

Thank you very much. There are a lot of generalizations being tossed around in here that more alarmist than factual. L.P is not South Central L.A. east coast style.

I second that. Each school in St marys has its drug, gang and race problems though.
Any school any where is going to have these issues. If people think that CalCo (and their schools) is the land of milk and honey then they are definitely fooling themselves.

:nono: Not really....The boys at Chopticon are straight....If they mess up they'll lose their tractor driving priviliges.....:roflmao:
:killingme Now this is just funny.

Ayway, welcome to the area. I just ask that you reserve your judgements of this area and its people until after you have experienced life here for a while. Going to Wal-Mart on a Saturday morning and seeing all the knuckle dragging mouth breathers there is not a good representation of our fair county.

idiganthro

Thank you very much. There are a lot of generalizations being tossed around in here that more alarmist than factual. L.P is not South Central L.A. east coast style.

Any school any where is going to have these issues. If people think that CalCo (and their schools) is the land of milk and honey then they are definitely fooling themselves.

:killingme Now this is just funny.

Ayway, welcome to the area. I just ask that you reserve your judgements of this area and its people until after you have experienced life here for a while. Going to Wal-Mart on a Saturday morning and seeing all the knuckle dragging mouth breathers there is not a good representation of our fair county.

I'm fairly certain that there isn't much going on in Lex Park or anywhere there that we haven't seen in our seven years in Hampton Roads, VA. I'm really just looking for a nice neighborhood and good school for my kid--- I don't expect some kind of utopia!

ANG

People have such fears of Lexington Park. Why do most say to stay away? There are some wonderful places in LP that some are unaware of. I've lived in LP for almost 2 years, IN A LOWER PRICED HOUSE, and have experienced no problems. There is crime everywhere in the county.

SoMDGirl42

Leonardtown! Don't look just in Leonardtown zip code though. Leonardtown's school district goes pretty far south to Callaway and some areas in Valley Lee etc. There are some very nice communities all around. Many have already mentioned Wildewood, but there are others around the California area as well. And don't forget Hollywood is also Leonardtown district.

sockgirl77

Leonardtown! Don't look just in Leonardtown zip code though. Leonardtown's school district goes pretty far south to Callaway and some areas in Valley Lee etc. There are some very nice communities all around. Many have already mentioned Wildewood, but there are others around the California area as well. And don't forget Hollywood is also Leonardtown district.

That's what I was going to say. There are so many towns between 20653 and 20650. I'd look into the 2nd District. Better chance at getting a decent house with a big yard than you will have in Wildewood or surrouding neighborhoods!