Moving to Saint Mary's County: Leonardtown vs Lexington Park

libby

Belvak and Patch...thanks for the tip on Chopticon HS. I pulled up the school's statistics (alongside LHS and GMHS) and I agree it's similar.
We definately need to take a "mental health day" and ride up during the week to tour both schools during school hours.
Anyway you cut it it's going to be a culture shock for our daughter. She's used to a large school with a very diverse student body and lots of activities...oh, and an undefeated football team. I swear she'd argue for the school with the best team! Haha.

Anyway, thanks to all for the advice and keep it coming. This is exactly what I was looking for. Next I'll be posting to find a good catholic church, a job, a summer swim team...

What do you mean by "good" Catholic church? There are lots of them here and IMO there are lots of similarities. Is there a particular style of the liturgy you prefer?
Also, have you considered the Catholic high school, St. Mary's Ryken?

P

Patch Tuesday

What do you mean by "good" Catholic church? There are lots of them here and IMO there are lots of similarities. Is there a particular style of the liturgy you prefer?

Good thinking. Now that Ryken has put the sexual molestation scandal behind them, they're certainly a candidate...

"Police Say Former School Officials Never Reported Sexual Molestation Allegations"

http://www.thebaynet.com/news/index.cfm/fa/viewStory/story_ID/6729

:popcorn:

libby

Good thinking. Now that Ryken has put the sexual molestation scandal behind them, they're certainly a candidate...

"Police Say Former School Officials Never Reported Sexual Molestation Allegations"

Police Say Former School Officials Never Reported Sexual Molestation Allegations - Southern Maryland News, Charles County, Calvert County and St. Mary's County News

Well, I certainly understand your concern in light of the large numbers of abuses that we've all learned were covered up. However, I would hesitate to assume that this is strictly a problem at Catholic schools.
I wonder if you can do me a favor. Can you search the history and records of all of the teachers in Leonardtown, Great Mills and Chopticon High Schools for me? The last 30-50 years ought to do it. When everyone is cleared of all wrongdoing, feel free to suggest this is a phenomona exclusive to Catholic men.

BernieP

Resident PIA
How does the cost of housing compare for both places? I'm having a hard time finding much for sale in Leonardtown (at least within our price range), but there's a ton of houses in Lex Park.
Leonardtown is both a postal address, a town and a school district (HS).
Hollywood and California (parts) are in the Leonardtown district. New housing and existing homes are available in Wildewood (which is within the LHS district).

Darcy

If compare between Leonardtown and Lexington Park, I choose Leonardtown. Don't you like Calvert County? I heard there is a good school district in this county too.

libby

Of course it's not confined to "Catholic men." This phenomena branches out into married with children, twenty something women, that sleep with 15 year old boys. How forgetful of me...

Better yet, how about an easy search on your part. Just give us the media articles to support your claim...

Nah. You're the one who decided to segue into another topic. It's yours to keep.

fredsaid2

The Leonardtown school district is a great choice. Lived in Wildewood for a very long time, it's a wonderful community but it's changing w/ the new ownership. Some of those changes you may or may not like such as the rental property going in behind the pool. Proxmity to shopping and work can't be beat. Even so I find I really enjoy the Breton Bay area. A little further out, very peaceful and quiet. Both areas have pools and swim teams plus there is a public pool in Great Mills and a competitive swim team, CBAC, that, I think, uses the college pool. Best of luck finding the perfect home!

idiganthro

Looked at the Catholic school and I don't think budget will allow.
We're looking for an active parish with a more contemporary service.

idiganthro

The Leonardtown school district is a great choice. Lived in Wildewood for a very long time, it's a wonderful community but it's changing w/ the new ownership. Some of those changes you may or may not like such as the rental property going in behind the pool. Proxmity to shopping and work can't be beat. Even so I find I really enjoy the Breton Bay area. A little further out, very peaceful and quiet. Both areas have pools and swim teams plus there is a public pool in Great Mills and a competitive swim team, CBAC, that, I think, uses the college pool. Best of luck finding the perfect home!

Thanks for the tips about the swim teams..that will help a lot. It's hard enough having to move in the middle of high school without having to worry about losing your favorite activity!

SuzieKerill

Just gettin by
How does the cost of housing compare for both places? I'm having a hard time finding much for sale in Leonardtown (at least within our price range), but there's a ton of houses in Lex Park.
i'm in real estate and can email you a link for listings in the area. i did a search for leonardtown and came up with 27 detached homes. 250-400 price range. there was a total of 116 in the 20650 zip code.

mommarock

Belvak and Patch...thanks for the tip on Chopticon HS. I pulled up the school's statistics (alongside LHS and GMHS) and I agree it's similar.
We definately need to take a "mental health day" and ride up during the week to tour both schools during school hours.
Anyway you cut it it's going to be a culture shock for our daughter. She's used to a large school with a very diverse student body and lots of activities...oh, and an undefeated football team. I swear she'd argue for the school with the best team! Haha.

Anyway, thanks to all for the advice and keep it coming. This is exactly what I was looking for. Next I'll be posting to find a good catholic church, a job, a summer swim team...

Chopticon's football record is way better than Leonardtown! Except they did lose their homecoming game last night which sux! They really do have a pretty good team though. Most of the varsity guys have been together since the freshman team.

My daughter goes to Chopticon but after middle school all of her friends ended up in the Leonardtown High district. I asked her if she wanted to go there and she said no. She says she is glad she goes to Chopticon although she now knows tons of people at Leonardtown also. Go figure. The schools seem to be very similar so good luck with the decision. I agree with other posters Mechanicsville has some nice areas also.

Oh, welcome to the forums.!!

mackco79

I have three kids in school in calvert they are great schools and the housing is rather affordable and not to far from pax river

idiganthro

Well, after spending the weekend looking at various areas and subdivisions I think we have pretty well set our hearts on the Leonardtown area. We checked out Wildewood, and the models are GORGEOUS. However, when we went to the actual area they are being built, we saw that the houses are VERY close together with little/no front yard and a sort of communal back alley to get to the garages. So, that's just not our thing.
We ate at Linda's cafe in Leonardtown and drove around town a bit. Even our daughter thought it was charming.
Maybe we should rent first and buy ourselves a little time to househunt without a three hour trip each way.
Anyway, thanks for all the advice and tips- we're looking forward to being in Saint Mary's County!

Noc1ue4me

I like Valley Lee -- its in the Leonardtown School district but most of the places off of Flat Iron Road actually have acreage with them!!!!

libby

Looked at the Catholic school and I don't think budget will allow.
We're looking for an active parish with a more contemporary service.

Immaculate Heart of Mary has a charismatic/contemporary Mass at 11:15 am on Sundays.
It's the only one I know of that has that style, but I could be wrong!

G

Gemmi

I like Valley Lee -- its in the Leonardtown School district but most of the places off of Flat Iron Road actually have acreage with them!!!!

True. I live off Flat Iron Road and it is a wonderful safe area. Our lot is over an acre.

FerretRescue

bite me
Well, I certainly understand your concern in light of the large numbers of abuses that we've all learned were covered up. However, I would hesitate to assume that this is strictly a problem at Catholic schools.
I wonder if you can do me a favor. Can you search the history and records of all of the teachers in Leonardtown, Great Mills and Chopticon High Schools for me? The last 30-50 years ought to do it. When everyone is cleared of all wrongdoing, feel free to suggest this is a phenomona exclusive to Catholic men.

OMG, get real. That was not the only cover up at Ryken.

Cletus_Vandam

You want to keep your child out of the Great Mills HS district, no matter the cost. The Leonardtown HS district would be the best, Chopticon isn't bad IMO.

If you want to see the district lines, go to the county school website at

St. Mary's County Public Schools

Do some pecking around and you should find the boundary maps for the school districts.

Be careful though, they do change so if you buy on the very edge, you might get re-districted out.

About the comments on Wildewood. I would buy a re-sale home there before I bought one of the new Stanley Martin homes. Unless of course you like to have your home void of any old-growth trees. They don't know how to develop a site IMO.:whistle: