Moving to So. Md.--Advice??

SmallTown

Football season!
elaine said:
SmallTown, :shutup: Just because you like the rat race doesn't mean everybody else should. At least we can say we only have one titty bar. How many do you have up in the big bad city?
None that I know of in my area :bawl:

mAlice

professional daydreamer
SmallTown said:
I did :ohwell:

Closest thing we have is Hooters, and here that isn't even that good here :ohwell:

The most impressive thing about Hooters is the cute girls, so that leaves me out. I never cared for their food.

SmallTown

Football season!
elaine said:
The most impressive thing about Hooters is the cute girls, so that leaves me out. I never cared for their food.
They serve food there, too? I thought it was just boobies and beer

mainman

Set Trippin
elaine said:
They serve food at Crystal City "Restaurant". :confused: At least, they did when I went.
You are right, when I was still painting back in hmmmmm 93-94, we had a contract in Crystal City. We used to go to that place at lunchtime, the guy I worked with always ordered a steak, mashed potatos and green beans...:lmao:

PrepH4U

SmallTown said:
Books? There is a very nice store called Bay Books. Beats the pants off any B&N store. They'll order books for you if you can't find it in their vast selection.

opera? Rose's place has nice live entertainment, musicals and such. The latest show was beauty and the beast.

Movies? The Lexington Park theatre is the best thing you'll find in a 39 mile radius. Incredible sound, and very comfortable leather chairs which you almost feel like you stick to because the leather is so soft.

As for housing, one of the big places to be is a place called Suburban Estates, off of great mills road.

Sounds like the perfect place for you guys, enjoy!

Ok so the post is a little extreme, but I thought it was a funny & clever post!
:lmao:
No opera down here, have to go to DC & Baltimore. During the summer the college has their outdoor river series concerts every friday night with guest conductors which are really nice. They will find plenty of entertainment at the college with lectures and all. The reputation of St. Mary's is very good for a small liberal arts school.

Crate

Bass (Player)
SMC housing

Hi!
Does anyone know if the developement on Willow's Rd. is including new housing or condo's please

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
You can find a place for under 200K with a little searching. A condo might be the best bet. The classifieds on this site (link at top of page) list three for sale ranging from 130K to 178K and all are within about 1/2 hour of St. Mary's College. DC and all it has to offer can be had easily within 2 hours from St. Mary's County, unless the weather or some other traffic concern crops up and then you can still make it easy once you learn alternate routes.

If they need the nightlife closely available (and I'm not talking only bars) then this area won't be for them. This area isn't for everyone but having lived most of my life here (minus 12 years away on military assignments) I love all that we do have and enjoy the fact that we don't have everything right outside my door.

mmooniac

Sounds as if whatever y'all may lack in cultural amenities you more than make up for in hospitality. Thanks! I'll pass along the good advice.

lanes

Hi,

After reading about all of your relative's interests, it would really serve him in good stead to look elsewhere. My husband and I have yet to find many creative, intelligent people around our age down here (i.e. people age 25 and up) and the ones we have met, have all moved out of the area, after only having been here a year or two.

This post is not meant to harp on St. Mary's County. There are plenty of positive things about the area. Most of the people are indeed friendly, and there are more things to do in the summer...

My husband and I both come from an educated backgorund, and the atmosphere down here is not really one of education. For example, we moved here from Columbus, Ohio, where there are several large and small colleges, and over 65% of the population there is under the age of 35.

To graduate college and then come here was a huge shock. This area is family-friendly, but lacks the vitality and youthfulness of places where there is more emphasis on education.

We have lived here for almost 3 years, and are making plans to move as soon as my husband finishes his Master's degree program next fall.

The people we have met, that have similar interests--i.e. coffee shops, bookstores, culture, etc. have all left St. Mary's for the same reason--"It is sucking the life out of them."

The cost of living here, compared with somewhere like Columbus, is outrageous. Why pay over $230,000+ for a house when you receive no amenities in return? In other places, when you pay that much for a house, you receive the benefits of a good school system. Not in St. Mary's County. You may receive the benefits of having nice restaurants, museums, or movie theaters. Not in St, Mary's County. If you are a retiree looking for a place to call home, this may be the place for you. If you have small children and just want to have a nice space for them and be really involved in a neighborhood, then this is the place for you.

But you can find other, more cost-effective places to make these things happen.

I know I probably sound like a snob, but I really am not. These are my honest impressions of St. Mary's County after coming here from a completely different environment. I have met more than a few people here who have concurred with my observations. Wish your relative luck for me!

CityGrl

Time for a nap
lanes said:
Hi,

After reading about all of your relative's interests, it would really serve him in good stead to look elsewhere. My husband and I have yet to find many creative, intelligent people around our age down here (i.e. people age 25 and up) and the ones we have met, have all moved out of the area, after only having been here a year or two.

This post is not meant to harp on St. Mary's County. There are plenty of positive things about the area. Most of the people are indeed friendly, and there are more things to do in the summer...

My husband and I both come from an educated backgorund, and the atmosphere down here is not really one of education. For example, we moved here from Columbus, Ohio, where there are several large and small colleges, and over 65% of the population there is under the age of 35.

To graduate college and then come here was a huge shock. This area is family-friendly, but lacks the vitality and youthfulness of places where there is more emphasis on education.

We have lived here for almost 3 years, and are making plans to move as soon as my husband finishes his Master's degree program next fall.

The people we have met, that have similar interests--i.e. coffee shops, bookstores, culture, etc. have all left St. Mary's for the same reason--"It is sucking the life out of them."

The cost of living here, compared with somewhere like Columbus, is outrageous. Why pay over $230,000+ for a house when you receive no amenities in return? In other places, when you pay that much for a house, you receive the benefits of a good school system. Not in St. Mary's County. You may receive the benefits of having nice restaurants, museums, or movie theaters. Not in St, Mary's County. If you are a retiree looking for a place to call home, this may be the place for you. If you have small children and just want to have a nice space for them and be really involved in a neighborhood, then this is the place for you.

But you can find other, more cost-effective places to make these things happen.

I know I probably sound like a snob, but I really am not. These are my honest impressions of St. Mary's County after coming here from a completely different environment. I have met more than a few people here who have concurred with my observations. Wish your relative luck for me!

Nicely put.

Funny how you used the term "Sucking the life out of you." I felt exactly the same way. We used to make sucking sounds every time we re-entered St. Mary's County because we felt like it was sucking us back into the county. Sort of like the idea of "once you check in, you can't ever leave."

hollywoman

the new housing for wildewood is with stanley martin developer. wildewood community.com should have some information on this new development