MVA Real ID License Renewal

awpitt

Main Streeter
You're just splitting hairs. Every piece of document you use is to prove who you are. Proving Social Security is again a reaffirmation that you are who you say you are, even if they call it something else.
I'm not "splitting hairs". I'm stating what the MVA site says and what they use each document for. The MVA uses the SS card to verify that the person is authorized to work in the U.S. which is a federal Real ID requirement.

If a person shows a SS card but fails to show any of the documents listed under Step One (proof of age and identity), they will not be issued a Real ID compliant license.

Kyle

Just being a fly in the ointment...
PREMO Member
... And while every born in the USA Maryland resident is jumping through fire hoops and killing a leave day to produce documents proving they're a citizen for MVA... Every border jumping, river crossing illegal is still able to get a MD Permit.

stgislander

... And while every born in the USA Maryland resident is jumping through fire hoops and killing a leave day to produce documents proving they're a citizen for MVA... Every border jumping, river crossing illegal is still able to get a MD Permit.
Yes, but they won't be able to fly on an airplane. Don't you feel safer knowing that?

I better put this here just in case. :sarcasm:

jazz lady

~*~ rara avis ~*~
PREMO Member
I finally received an email notification that my license wasn't compliant, which I already knew, even though it has the REAL ID star and doesn't expire until 2025. I have until May 12, 2020 to bring in my documents, which I already have and just need to schedule an appointment. :yay:

Clem72

I finally received an email notification that my license wasn't compliant, which I already knew, even though it has the REAL ID star and doesn't expire until 2025. I have until May 12, 2020 to bring in my documents, which I already have and just need to schedule an appointment. :yay:
Mine expires in 2021, I haven't received any such letter.

Clem72

This was an email. I haven't yet received a letter in the snail mail. :sshrug:
So I just went to the MVA website, says Real ID is required prior to October 2020. Then I checked my license number and it says I haven't been set an appointment and I can just bring my documents when I renew my license, or I can come early and pay $20 to upgrade my license. My renewal is in 2021.

So it sounds like they decided I needed to pay them $20.

awpitt

Main Streeter
So I just went to the MVA website, says Real ID is required prior to October 2020. Then I checked my license number and it says I haven't been set an appointment and I can just bring my documents when I renew my license, or I can come early and pay $20 to upgrade my license. My renewal is in 2021.

So it sounds like they decided I needed to pay them $20.
You have to make the appointment yourself. If you're only going there to show your Real ID docs, you don't have to pay. If you're going there to show Real ID docs and to renew, or just to renew, then the fee applies.

littlelady

God bless the USA
Kudos to the Prince Frederick MVA, just went by and did the real id. documentation and everything went very smoothly. They were very organized and friendly and i was in and out even with the line ,i was out in under 25 minutes.
We all have to deal with MVA. I want to know how you are doing. :) I, also, noticed, just the other day that in the bottom left of my hub’s license says Veteran. We got 11% off at Harris Teeter on Vet Day. God bless the USA.

Last edited:

KingFish

Nothing to see here
Kudos to the Prince Frederick MVA, just went by and did the real id. documentation and everything went very smoothly. They were very organized and friendly and i was in and out even with the line ,i was out in under 25 minutes.
I still need to go up to Prince Frederick and get mine done. Wish I could schedule an appointment there but they do not have that ability. I will show up early when they open and hopefully it goes quickly.

awpitt

Main Streeter
That's great. Have to give it to the Loveville office though. My Real ID appointment took 13 minutes from walking in to walking out.

awpitt

Main Streeter
We all have to deal with MVA. I want to know how you are doing. :) I, also, noticed, just the other day that in the bottom left of my hub’s license says Veteran. We got 11% off at Harris Teeter on Vet Day. God bless the USA.
Yes. Any Veteran can bring their DD-214 to the MVA and they'll get the Veteran designation on their license. I did mine a year ago. Also, the VA offers a Veterans Identification Card.