My happy ponies

SouthernMdRocks

R.I.P. Bobo, We miss you!
VGL California Davis sent me an email yesterday that they FIANALLY recieved the hair samples.

They must of went by the way of Alaska, Took almost two weeks to get there. Sheesh.

SO EXCITED!

Can’t wait to find out the TRUE color of my mare and foal.

HappyAppy Do you still want to WAGER????

For the foal I still say "silver bay dun" or maybe "silver dunskin"
DEF Bay based
DEF Silver based
DEF DUN
not sure of cream...cause the DUN factor can cause the lightening of the coat....that is my guess.:coffee:

Momma is either Bay Dun or Dunskin.

Sounds like a donut!!

CountryLady

luvmyponies
Color Results Are In

:starcat:
BrightEyed WildThing
E/e,A/A
the rest:
N/N -Cream
N/N -Sabino1
N/N -Roan
D/N -DUN
Also more :confused: about sabino and roan. Looking at her you would swear she was one or the other or even BOTH.
So MOMMA's a "BAY DUN"

The BABY
09F of BrightEyed WildThing
E/e, A/a, N/Z, D/N

"SILVER BAY DUN"

:thewave:

Last edited:

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
Chestnut can hide agouti (bay) since it only affects black and no black on a red horse.

Wow WT is a double bay...interesting.

And there other types of Sabino (2) which there are no tests for (yet). Doesn't mean she doesn't carry some other form of sabino, or a spotting pattern gene.

"Among Shires and Clydesdales, high white markings follow a pattern similar to that found in high-expression Sabino1 sabinos. The consistency of the draft-type sabino spotting pattern led researchers to include these horses in the original study that discovered Sabino1. However, none of the draft-type sabinos possessed the SB1 allele." Sabino horse - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In foundation appy bloodlines like hers, the large pattern spotting often shows up because original 'breeders' didn't know the small spots in Aps 'Lp' was different from the spotting pattern in paints and often crossed the two.

Last edited:

CountryLady

luvmyponies
Chestnut can hide agouti (bay) since it only affects black and no black on a red horse.

And there other types of Sabino (2) which there are no tests for (yet). Doesn't mean she doesn't carry some other form of sabino, or a spotting pattern gene.

"Among Shires and Clydesdales, high white markings follow a pattern similar to that found in high-expression Sabino1 sabinos. The consistency of the draft-type sabino spotting pattern led researchers to include these horses in the original study that discovered Sabino1. However, none of the draft-type sabinos possessed the SB1 allele." Sabino horse - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In foundation appy bloodlines like hers, the large pattern spotting often shows up because original 'breeders' didn't know the small spots in Aps 'Lp' was different from the spotting pattern in paints and often crossed the two.

Yeah, I guess the coffee hadn't kicked in when I posted that this morning.
I thought about it more after I was away from the computer. I was gonna come back and correct myself. :whistle:

:lmao:

WT has big white blaze like her Sire. His is def charactized as the description of typical sabino.

EXCERPT from that link: "Sabino patterning is visually recognized by roaning at the edges of white markings, belly spots, irregular face markings, especially white extending past the eyes or onto the chin, "

Last edited:

CountryLady

luvmyponies
ok, here is what the coat color analyst at VGL had to say with regard to the testing.

"Regarding the colors of your horses, for Wild Thing, I would call her a bay dun appaloosa. The roaning in her coat is due to the expression of the leopard (appaloosa) gene. Often expression of this gene can be confused with the roan gene. The foal I would call a silver bay dun, that is a bay horse with both silver and dun dilution genes. The silver gene often lightens the black points so that these horses may appear to be chestnut."

Interesting that the Lp gene looks like roan also. WHen I think of Lp, I think of SPOTS. Interesting!!! Who would have thunk it? :shrug:

But I am guessing you are probably right with regard to the Sabino gene. :coffee: Maybe someday they will come out with a test for that!

CountryLady

luvmyponies

OK, now I am shopping for the next stallion to breed her to. I havent decided when I plan to breed her though, just shopping around.

There is a very nice buckskin stallion in IN not far from some peeps I know. Very talented very pretty boy. I might take a trip out in the spring to have a look.

There is also a nice Dun Stallion, but he is way huge, like 17hh, :jet: I'd need two mounting blocks to get up on any offspring from that guy. :otter: He is very young and the peeps haven't shown him much due to his growth spurt, so they say. He is about 4 yrs old, he looks very thoroughbred-y, although I didn't find any in his pedigree. All legs. I don't know what they feed to their horses, but sheesh. If I bred to him it would be with the intent to sell the foal two some jumper/eventing/dressage folks. So for now I am keeping my eye on him and when the market is better, I will take a closer look.

DFSquare

OK, now I am shopping for the next stallion to breed her to. I havent decided when I plan to breed her though, just shopping around.

Can we get her used to trail riding first? It will be a lot easier on my hands pulling her across a roadway if she's not weighted down with a foal!!!!!! :killingme

CountryLady

luvmyponies
Can we get her used to trail riding first? It will be a lot easier on my hands pulling her across a roadway if she's not weighted down with a foal!!!!!! :killingme

She will have lot of miles on her by then.

That big black top road looked like a big creek to her, I guess.:cheesy:
I have ridden her down the road at the farm, and even by the house with the big flag pole and flag whipping in the wind. Didn't phase her one bit. She is not too crazy about water yet though. :whistle:

I may even ride her at cremona. But I can't remember if they have any water crossings. :whistle: If the weather would cooperate I will take her to st marys river park and work with her. I'M SURE THAT WILL CURE HER! :killingme...... also, waiting for my boy to be not so busy with school.

Anyway, she does good for a GREEN horse that hasn't been ridden in a couple years. She is comming along nicely.

BUT , I have an idea, I could put you on WT and I'll lead her across with My boy. :jet: Just kidding.:killingme

DFSquare

BUT , I have an idea, I could put you on WT and I'll lead her across with My boy. :jet: Just kidding.:killingme

Oh you're hysterical so early in the morning!!!! :otter: <---- that's what I'd be doing!

I was so proud of her tho when she went back across at the end of the day. I think she'll be a great girl who learns very quickly. The boys are already talking about next summer and going back to the water to play.

CountryLady

luvmyponies
Oh you're hysterical so early in the morning!!!! :otter: <---- that's what I'd be doing!

:roflmao:
I thought that's what you'd say.

I was so proud of her tho when she went back across at the end of the day. I think she'll be a great girl who learns very quickly. The boys are already talking about next summer and going back to the water to play.

Yeah, she did do well going back. I guess she found out that big blacktop road wasn't a river after all. SILLY MARE!:whistle:

Water play is sooooo much fun for the horses. :yahoo:

But did you see WT's expression when all my other ponies went in to play. I'm sure she was thinking, "What in the heck are you guys doing," and maybe, "You've got to be kidding me." She a little bit of a pre-Madonna. I think she gets it from the thoroughbreds, (from way back), in her pedigree.

BUT, she did get more curious about what was going on the more the other horses played. :yay:She especially had her eyes glued to Cocoa and Mocha. They get a little carried away.
:starcat:

So, tell your boys, that they can take my ponies swimming anytime. They absolutely love it. And maybe by summer WT will love it too. :yahoo:

Last edited:

CountryLady

luvmyponies
SouthernMdRocks

What did the new owners of "Prince" finally decide to name him when they registered him. Did they ever get him certified? :howdy: