National Debt Increased by $3 Trillion under Trump

Chris0nllyn

early four years after then-presidential candidate Donald Trump said he would eliminate the federal debt in eight years, the deficit has since risen by more than 16 percent under his presidency.
But as of January, President Trump signed $4.7 trillion more into the debt until 2029, according to the Committee for a Responsible Federal Budget (CRFB).

At a private dinner with wealthy donors last Friday, just days before the third anniversary of his inauguration, the president brushed off critics amid concerns of his spending and growing national debt. "Who the hell cares about the budget? We're going to have a country," he said, as reported by The Washington Post.

The national debt has increased significantly under both the Bush and Obama administrations, increasing about 101 percent from the end of Clinton's administration to the end of Bush's. Republicans criticized Obama for doubling debt by nearly $9 trillion.
https://www.newsweek.com/donald-tru...trillion-first-three-years-presidency-1483660

Spitfire

Greetings:

But just look at that stock market! /sarc

Really, just some spilt fiat. There’s plenty more where that came from.

Spitfire

Greetings:

I saw earlier today a piece where Trump was indicating he might be willing to entertain cuts to social security and Medicare.

No reference handy, I’m sure it will show up in your headline scans soon enough. This is based on some comments he made at Davos yesterday.

This is going to be a great campaign season!

Yooper

Up. Identified. Lase. Fire. On the way.
What is Trump supposed to say? Get all pious, but do nothing (which is the traditional default POTUS position)? Or state an opinion that actually reflects The Executive's role in this: execute the functions of his portion of our triune government (as it is Congress' responsibility to appropriate taxes and authorize expenditures).

So speaking of our triune government, the debt is, for me, THE PLACE where the Federal system of government falls short. Because while I don't excuse Trump I can't fault him either (as I noted above).

Parties in Congress blackmail each other so that each can get as many of their pet programs budgeted as possible. Why? Because a) the pols support the programs they want in the budget and b) they want to get reelected. Compromise is made that results in no real sense of prioritization and never results in spending reductions.

Then we get arguments about the need to fund both sets of priorities because if we don't the world will end resulting in Americans paying more and more in taxes (both direct and indirect). So spending doesn't get cut, but eventually someone realizes that the American people need a tax break because if they don't get one the people will rise up. But then we get the experts who say that Americans don't "contribute" enough to fund governmental spending so if something has to give it ain't the spending. So spending goes up with little complaint while focused attacks go after tax cuts.

Then we get Senate-House reconciliation silliness which results (in my sense) of not less spending but more.

Then it goes to POTUS. If (s)he signs a crappy bill, then (s)he gets pummeled for signing it. But if (s)he doesn't then it goes back to Congress with the attendant CRs (which, sorry, are disasters AND an abrogation of Congressional responsibility).

In the end, when a president sends a budget to Congress it's his/her "letter to Santa" which acts as "guidance" of a sort for Congress. "Guidance," but not "Scripture."

So rather than blaming Trump (this time around) I'd love to read posts/links/etc. with ideas as to how to fix this problem with human nature. If I'm wrong, would love to hear thoughts.

--- End of line (MCP)

Reactions: TPD

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
What is Trump supposed to say? Get all pious, but do nothing (which is the traditional default POTUS position)? Or state an opinion that actually reflects The Executive's role in this: execute the functions of his portion of our triune government (as it is Congress' responsibility to appropriate taxes and authorize expenditures).

So speaking of our triune government, the debt is, for me, THE PLACE where the Federal system of government falls short. Because while I don't excuse Trump I can't fault him either (as I noted above).

Parties in Congress blackmail each other so that each can get as many of their pet programs budgeted as possible. Why? Because a) the pols support the programs they want in the budget and b) they want to get reelected. Compromise is made that results in no real sense of prioritization and never results in spending reductions.

Then we get arguments about the need to fund both sets of priorities because if we don't the world will end resulting in Americans paying more and more in taxes (both direct and indirect). So spending doesn't get cut, but eventually someone realizes that the American people need a tax break because if they don't get one the people will rise up. But then we get the experts who say that Americans don't "contribute" enough to fund governmental spending so if something has to give it ain't the spending. So spending goes up with little complaint while focused attacks go after tax cuts.

Then we get Senate-House reconciliation silliness which results (in my sense) of not less spending but more.

Then it goes to POTUS. If (s)he signs a crappy bill, then (s)he gets pummeled for signing it. But if (s)he doesn't then it goes back to Congress with the attendant CRs (which, sorry, are disasters AND an abrogation of Congressional responsibility).

In the end, when a president sends a budget to Congress it's his/her "letter to Santa" which acts as "guidance" of a sort for Congress. "Guidance," but not "Scripture."

So rather than blaming Trump (this time around) I'd love to read posts/links/etc. with ideas as to how to fix this problem with human nature. If I'm wrong, would love to hear thoughts.

--- End of line (MCP)
That ^. But chilren like Chrissy want to pretend it's something else.

transporter

--- End of line (MCP)

Pretending POTUS has nothing to do with tax or spending policy is pretty f***ing naive.

Yes, the President's Annual Budget proposal has become a joke (just like the State of the Union address)...that doesn't mean the WH and POTUS aren't deeply involved in negotiations on spending or tax bills.

What might help reduce this stupidity? Term limits on House and Senate? "Bringing home the bacon" serves reelection desires...

• Wow
Reactions: BOP

The Boss

So, we're told throughout the impeachment process that spending, the power of the purse, is specifically the purview of Congress.

We can therefore fully and exclusively blame Congress for the spending.

We know that the tax revenue is at a record high.

This is clearly a Pelosi/McConnell problem.
Yet you and all the trump cult he slammed Obama for it, ...........again the trump hypocrites come out big time!

Yooper

Up. Identified. Lase. Fire. On the way.
(a) Pretending POTUS has nothing to do with tax or spending policy is pretty f***ing naive.

(b) Yes, the President's Annual Budget proposal has become a joke (just like the State of the Union address)...that doesn't mean the WH and POTUS aren't deeply involved in negotiations on spending or tax bills.

(c) What might help reduce this stupidity? Term limits on House and Senate? "Bringing home the bacon" serves reelection desires...
(a) Well good thing, then, I'm not pretending POTUS has nothing to do with tax or spending policy. My point is simply that the budget is, when all is said and done, a Legislative issue.

(b) I agree with you on all counts.

(c) Again, I am in general agreement as I tend more toward "term limits" than not. But there are downsides. I also think rescinding the 17th Amendment would help, but that's never going to happen.

--- End of line (MCP)

Hijinx

One of our biggest expenses is entitlements.
The Democrats running for President want Free health care, Free college, open Borders Money spoent on Green windmills and solar panels.

Go ahead elect the Democrats who are running and they will a 3 trillion dollar raise look like peanuts.

BOP

Pretending POTUS has nothing to do with tax or spending policy is pretty f***ing naive.

Yes, the President's Annual Budget proposal has become a joke (just like the State of the Union address)...that doesn't mean the WH and POTUS aren't deeply involved in negotiations on spending or tax bills.

What might help reduce this stupidity? Term limits on House and Senate? "Bringing home the bacon" serves reelection desires...
You lefties want to have it both ways. When the Won held office, anything to the fiduciary good was all him; when it wasn't, it was on the Republicans' heads, including Obama's predecessor. The opposite is true now that Trump is in office, despite the roaring economy. Unbelievable.

Barabbas

I don't think anyone pretends that the president has nothing to do with tax or spending policy.

It's quite clear that no president's budget is even close to what Congress passes. However, the president (via his team) is surely involved in the negotiations over what Congress passes and the president ultimately signs into law.

You are absolutely correct that term limits would help. So would repealing the 17th amendment, which would put the states back into federal government control (popular votes for Senators is really just plain stupid). Another part of the solution would be to involve the courts - have SCOTUS tell us up front if there is a constitutional authority for something like the Dept of Education - because, there's not.

I don't think most people look to their elected representatives to bring home the bacon, though. I think they look to them for the letter following the name, and fall into the same rhetoric-spewing bullshit that so many others fall into. Parties choose the House and Senate, not the people.