Naval Ship 685 docked in Solomons

Hessian

It is looking pretty tired but not beyond restoration.

What is the story of the USN ship 685 ..tied up just 100 yards from the "On Watch" memorial in Solomons?
Future target ship? Reef preparation? CIA ops boat for South America? Sale to the Sudanese navy?

Kyle

Beloved Misanthrope
It is looking pretty tired but not beyond restoration.

What is the story of the USN ship 685 ..tied up just 100 yards from the "On Watch" memorial in Solomons?
Future target ship? Reef preparation? CIA ops boat for South America? Sale to the Sudanese navy?
If it’s the USS Coates, DE – 685, she was built in 43 and decommissioned in 1970.

If it’s YP – 685 it’s a patrol craft for training purposes

Hessian

If it’s the USS Coates, DE – 685, she was built in 43 and decommissioned in 1970.

If it’s YP – 685 it’s a patrol craft for training purposes
A reliable source (wikipedia?????) says DE 685 was sunk as a target ship in 1971...so that slims the odds.
YP 685...may be the real identity!

Hessian

1716758721866.jpeg

Kyle

Beloved Misanthrope
A reliable source (wikipedia?????) says DE 685 was sunk as a target ship in 1971...so that slims the odds.
YP 685...may be the real identity!
And I just pulled the first two hits I got for registry number

Hessian

It would be amazing to back-design it just a little to look like 1940 DE...and do "U-Boat" patrol tours off the Carolina coast for paying guests.
Put on some swing music,...have a small uniformed crew. 4 Barrels on back for depth charges...a pair of bofors on the bow...
A Little patrol down to Morehead city & a stop in at the Battleship North Carolina in Wilmington.
A wreath laying on the site of some U-boat victims.
Any eccentric millionaires want to get this program going?

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
It would be amazing to back-design it just a little to look like 1940 DE...and do "U-Boat" patrol tours off the Carolina coast for paying guests.
Google Hank Ketcham's book, "Torpedo Junction". All about the sub wars off the Atlantic coast in early 1942. My grandfather and his vessel are the focal point for the story. He later commanded a DE on Atlantic convoy anti-sub duty.

Hessian

Google Hank Ketcham's book, "Torpedo Junction". All about the sub wars off the Atlantic coast in early 1942. My grandfather and his vessel are the focal point for the story. He later commanded a DE on Atlantic convoy anti-sub duty.
Just read a similar work regarding the patrols & losses in '42. Raeder's only chance to bring the war to our shores. I think there are three U-boats that never made it back as we stiffened up the patrols. There is a British cemetery in Ocracoke,--the tragic end for a crew.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
For your consideration ...

It is a yard patrol boat that was used in Annapolis by the US Naval Academy for training. After it reached its end of service life, it was auctioned off. I think she was built in 1986. The guy that bought it paid about $5500 for it about 6-9 years ago. It has one engine, a simple tractor trailer type diesel engine, and holds about 8000 gallons of fuel, when topped off, with a top speed of about 14 knots and a cruise of 8 knots, and had a crew of 14, (if I remember correctly). The fella had it towed from Annapolis to Calvert Marina where he has been trying to bring her back to life. She is a wooden hulled ship with copper sheathing, anti-fouling/anti-barnacle, slightly above her water line, and below. All that navy gray paint above deck was done by the owner.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
HLSS had an old wooden hull YP as their training vessel for years. Sold it at one of Bubby Knott's auctions for peanuts. It was not in bad shape, having just received a quick paint job and some bottom maintenance at Dennis Point. It was grey though.

Clem72

It is a yard patrol boat that was used in Annapolis by the US Naval Academy for training. After it reached its end of service life, it was auctioned off. I think she was built in 1986. The guy that bought it paid about $5500 for it about 6-9 years ago. It has one engine, a simple tractor trailer type diesel engine, and holds about 8000 gallons of fuel, when topped off, with a top speed of about 14 knots and a cruise of 8 knots, and had a crew of 14, (if I remember correctly). The fella had it towed from Annapolis to Calvert Marina where he has been trying to bring her back to life. She is a wooden hulled ship with copper sheathing, anti-fouling/anti-barnacle, slightly above her water line, and below. All that navy gray paint above deck was done by the owner.
That crew of 14 seems like a lot, does this include every possible crew member including the chief cook in the galley? What would be the minimum required personnel to actually pilot that ship around safely?

LightRoasted

If I may ...

That crew of 14 seems like a lot, does this include every possible crew member including the chief cook in the galley? What would be the minimum required personnel to actually pilot that ship around safely?

I was incorrect in the crew accompaniment. It actually had training crews of 2 Officers and 4 Enlisted. Pretty sure it had no galley since it was a vessel used for training for ship navigation, ship operations, and ship emergencies, and rarely left the Annapolis area. So, I'm guessing that a crew of 6 was all that was needed to pilot the ship safely. And instead of one engine as I said, it has two 12V-71N Detroit diesel engines, 2 propellers, a horsepower rating 437 shaft horsepower @ 2,100 RPM. And had a max speed of 8 knots with a range of 1800 nautical miles.