Naval Ship 685 docked in Solomons

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Just read a similar work regarding the patrols & losses in '42. Raeder's only chance to bring the war to our shores. I think there are three U-boats that never made it back as we stiffened up the patrols. There is a British cemetery in Ocracoke,--the tragic end for a crew.
As my grandfather's only heir, I inherited the "trinkets" that he had accumulated from the sailors that their cutter pulled from the water after their ship was sunk. Granddad said he figured out it was some kind of reflex action that some of the crew would grab something..anything..to take with them as they went in to the dark oily waters. Ash trays, coffee cups, binnacle lamps,, etc...

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
? Thousands of trawlers would say, why not? Heck, my Marinette 32 can plane out at 20-23 knots but I almost never run her over 9 knots.
Trawlers are doing a task that requires a slower speed. I'll bet this was bought as a "pleasure" craft, not a working boat.

Hessian

Peter Marshall...naturally sparing with that acerbic wit Paul Lynde

Marshall: "Paul, any good sailor knows that when a man falls off a ship you yell 'Man overboard!' What should you shout if a woman falls overboard?"
Lynde: "Full speed ahead!"

Kinnakeet

Just read a similar work regarding the patrols & losses in '42. Raeder's only chance to bring the war to our shores. I think there are three U-boats that never made it back as we stiffened up the patrols. There is a British cemetery in Ocracoke,--the tragic end for a crew.
There is one in Buxton on lighthouse road never heard of the one in Ocracoke as the farthest I get on that Island is Howards Pub.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
For your consideration ...

8 knots? Why bother?

Well, it's a "training" vessel after all. Remember, the people that would have been training on it, most likely are 2nd or 3rd year students that may have only been fishing on a skiff, or, have never been on a boat, before joining the Navy. 8 knots is plenty fast enough for fresh green newbies learning how to control/command, what must be about the overall average sized Naval vessel. Starting with simple maneuvers such as leaving port, returning to port, entering a shipping channel, overtaking another vessel, nighttime piloting, emergency maneuvers, patching a leak below the water line, etc.. Pretty sure that training them first on a massive Arleigh Burke class of guided-missile destroyers would not be a good idea. That, more advanced training, would come down much later in their Naval career.

IMHO: At 108 feet long with a displacement of 172 tons, it mimics how others ships would/might handle that they might be assigned to later on. Speed is not a training factor this early on. It's like simple Naval ship basic training.

Maybe @Gilligan could shed some light on my thesis as to why the max speed is what it is? Or some Navy folks with such experiences?

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB

Well, it's a "training" vessel after all. Remember, the people that would have been training on it, most likely are 2nd or 3rd year students that may have only been fishing on a skiff, or, have never been on a boat, before joining the Navy. 8 knots is plenty fast enough for fresh green newbies learning how to control/command, what must be about the overall average sized Naval vessel. Starting with simple maneuvers such as leaving port, returning to port, entering a shipping channel, overtaking another vessel, nighttime piloting, emergency maneuvers, patching a leak below the water line, etc.. Pretty sure that training them first on a massive Arleigh Burke class of guided-missile destroyers would not be a good idea. That, more advanced training, would come down much later in their Naval career.

IMHO: At 108 feet long with a displacement of 172 tons, it mimics how others ships would/might handle that they might be assigned to later on. Speed is not a training factor this early on. It's like simple Naval ship basic training.

Maybe @Gilligan could shed some light on my thesis as to why the max speed is what it is? Or some Navy folks with such experiences?
For training that's understandable (that's why aviators don't go directly to jets) but for it being bought by a civilian? My pontoon duck boat went faster than that.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
For training that's understandable (that's why aviators don't go directly to jets) but for it being bought by a civilian? My pontoon duck boat went faster than that.
Trawler and tug styled pleasure vessels are in abundance and quite popular. 8 knots is a very typical cruising speed for those...and very economical too. The little steel trawler I have here - was SGI's project - slept two comfortably and achieved close to 10 mpg with it's little 65HP diesel pushing it at 8-9 knots.

Back when I lived in 7D, my neighbor had a cute little tug-trawler...he named it "Popeye". 65HP diesel in that too. It's cruise speed also around 8 knots...and it slept 4; two couples. He, his wife, and another couple, took it to Maine and then to Florida before finally returning home. They were - are all four of them - accomplished beer drinkers and, according to their version of the trip story, they consumed more beer on that journey than the boat did diesel fuel.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Read that class of boat is 12 knots. Looked up the old man's boat speed during the north Africa/Italy campaign, it was 16.5 knots.
For that length of waterline, that makes sense. The "hull speed" works out to be around 15 knots.

LightRoasted

If I may ...

Oh, You meant for the current owner? Well, he said the super structure is abut 1200 square feet in area. He might be converting it into a mini home on the water. Don't know. It's been years since I met and chatted with him one weekend while visiting the area.

Opps. It appears I can't read. It can do 12 knots, per the specifications.

1716911459046.png