Need a good church

sk8enscars

I'm fairly new to the area and am looking for a church. I live in Bel Alton (Charles County) but don't have a problem going to St. Mary's. Anybody know of a church that is pentecostal that is cool to go to? I don't want to go to one of the big ones that have like 6 services and I don't want to go to any church where all they do is stand up, sit down, stand up, repeat after me. TIA

godsbutterfly

Free to Fly
I'm fairly new to the area and am looking for a church. I live in Bel Alton (Charles County) but don't have a problem going to St. Mary's. Anybody know of a church that is pentecostal that is cool to go to? I don't want to go to one of the big ones that have like 6 services and I don't want to go to any church where all they do is stand up, sit down, stand up, repeat after me. TIA

I attend Life Community Church of God on Chancellor's Run Road in Lexington Park. Sunday School is at 10:00 and service starts at 11:00. Yes, we are Pentecostal!

sk8enscars

actually...

Pentecostal is where people actually believe in the Holy Spirit and not just say they do. Non-pentecostal churches usually don't let God come into church. It's all about their own agenda. I'm not saying that non-pentecostals are bad. Most do a lot of great things in their communities and give people exposure to the Bible and all that. I just prefer Pentecostal.

sk8enscars

speaking in tongues

And speaking in tongues is where God is using someone to deliver a message. And if you think about how many languages there are in the world, it'd almost be silly to assume it's going to be in English all the time. (I do agree there are some people who fake it... which is AWFUL!!!) However, I will say, when I was a teenager, my church youth group went to Bulgaria on a missions trip. They said one of the children over there started speaking in tongues and it just so happened that he was speaking in English. (He didn't know English.) Just kinda cool.

Go G-Men

Pentecostal is where people actually believe in the Holy Spirit and not just say they do. Non-pentecostal churches usually don't let God come into church. It's all about their own agenda. I'm not saying that non-pentecostals are bad. Most do a lot of great things in their communities and give people exposure to the Bible and all that. I just prefer Pentecostal.

Do me favor and the next time you know ahead of time the God is coming into your church, PM me and let me know. I always wanted to see him but he has eluded me!

2ndAmendment

Just a forgiven sinner
PREMO Member

I also go to Life Community Church of God on Chancellor's Run Road. Welcome to Life Community-Church of God

Pastor Sheppard is adamant that the church is in order as Paul instructed:
1 Corinthians 14:20-33

20Brethren, do not be children in your thinking; yet in evil be infants, but in your thinking be mature.

21In the Law it is written, "BY MEN OF STRANGE TONGUES AND BY THE LIPS OF STRANGERS I WILL SPEAK TO THIS PEOPLE, AND EVEN SO THEY WILL NOT LISTEN TO ME," says the Lord.

22So then tongues are for a sign, not to those who believe but to unbelievers; but prophecy is for a sign, not to unbelievers but to those who believe.

23Therefore if the whole church assembles together and all speak in tongues, and ungifted men or unbelievers enter, will they not say that you are mad?

24But if all prophesy, and an unbeliever or an ungifted man enters, he is convicted by all, he is called to account by all;

25the secrets of his heart are disclosed; and so he will fall on his face and worship God, declaring that God is certainly among you.

26What is the outcome then, brethren? When you assemble, each one has a psalm, has a teaching, has a revelation, has a tongue, has an interpretation Let all things be done for edification.

27If anyone speaks in a tongue, it should be by two or at the most three, and each in turn, and one must interpret;

28but if there is no interpreter, he must keep silent in the church; and let him speak to himself and to God.

29Let two or three prophets speak, and let the others pass judgment.

30But if a revelation is made to another who is seated, the first one must keep silent.

31For you can all prophesy one by one, so that all may learn and all may be exhorted;

32and the spirits of prophets are subject to prophets;

33for God is not a God of confusion but of peace, as in all the churches of the saints.

The church is not out of control or in seeming chaos as many pentecostal churches are. I hope you will give our church a try. Churches are kind of like shoes; you have to keep trying them on to find just the right pair. But if you are looking for a church that is founded on the Word of God as absolute Truth and is open to the movement of the Holy Spirit but all is in order, I think you will like our family.

2ndAmendment

Just a forgiven sinner
PREMO Member
Do me favor and the next time you know ahead of time the God is coming into your church, PM me and let me know. I always wanted to see him but he has eluded me!

God is all around you whether you recognize Him or not. Believe or not. I truly hope you do in this life. Every knee will bow and every tongue confess that Jesus is Lord either going into His kingdom or being rejected from it. We have but this life to choose.

2ndAmendment

Just a forgiven sinner
PREMO Member
And speaking in tongues is where God is using someone to deliver a message. And if you think about how many languages there are in the world, it'd almost be silly to assume it's going to be in English all the time. (I do agree there are some people who fake it... which is AWFUL!!!) However, I will say, when I was a teenager, my church youth group went to Bulgaria on a missions trip. They said one of the children over there started speaking in tongues and it just so happened that he was speaking in English. (He didn't know English.) Just kinda cool.

Same sort of thing happened to a man I know. He was on a mission trip to Russia during the glasnost period. He was standing on a street in Moscow and the translator had not shown up yet so he just started proclaiming God's word. He drew a pretty big crowd so he kept going. When the translator got there the people were all exclaiming things and the translator said to the person I know that the people were glad that they had finally sent a missionary that spoke Russian.

He didn't speak Russian and didn't even know he was speaking in Russian. He thought he was speaking in English. He isn't Pentecostal either. He's a Baptist and most of them don't even believe in the modern day gift of tongues.

God is still the God of miracles. More are coming and I have this feeling that there are going to be some judgments coming.

sk8enscars

thanks

Thanks for the suggestions so far (to those of you who actually posted something helpful!) I wasn't trying to sound judgmental or self-righteous about the whole pentecostal thing. I just don't want to waste my time filtering through churches that don't invite the Holy Spirit in. I've been to too many churches that have a very dry program... scripted prayers, minute by minute programs, no talking in tongues or dancing in the spirit and no alter calls and spontaneous prayers. That's cool for some people. It's not what I want though.

On a different note, it seems to me that some people on here just post for the sake of posting. I guess I'll know who to go to from now on if I'm in need of a sarcastic reply.

vbailey

vbailey

Not all people are given the gift of speaking in tongues,
That does not mean that they are not filled with the Holy Spirit, or that their church is not filled with the Holy Spirit. Only God knows the heart of the Man, and we should not be judging...or assuming things.....