Need an active young dog to play with your dog?

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
A few years ago, when my dog Molly died, my Mother said, "Now you are free, why would you want to get another dog at your age"? I'm 60 now, and still can't imagine what it would be like without my pets. I have 2 parrots, 2 dogs, 10 chickens, 1 peacock, and 3 cats. I also have 4 aquariums dotted around the house. I don't feel like any of my animals are holding me back from doing what I want to do. I have 2 turtles too. They bring me more joy than I can describe.

I swore I'd NEVER have another fish tank, so years ago (maybe 7?) I donated all my equipment (including some huge aquariums with nice stands) to a guy in Ft. Washington who has many reptile and amphibian enclosures setup and he uses them to teach children about all of the species he has. How do you get the peacock to stay alive? My neighbor had 2 and something got both of them. One was this one pictured and the other one was all white.

20140531_172201.jpg

acommondisaster

A few years ago, when my dog Molly died, my Mother said, "Now you are free, why would you want to get another dog at your age"? I'm 60 now, and still can't imagine what it would be like without my pets. I have 2 parrots, 2 dogs, 10 chickens, 1 peacock, and 3 cats. I also have 4 aquariums dotted around the house. I don't feel like any of my animals are holding me back from doing what I want to do. I have 2 turtles too. They bring me more joy than I can describe.

I'm not nearly as much of an animal person as you are, but I totally understand what you mean. The house isn't right without that happy little prance of a dog walking through it, or tails wagging to great you at the door. I desperately want a 3rd dog (another small one), but my husband is totally against it. I am secretly looking at senior chihuahuas when I hear about them to find just the right one - and I'm trying to wear him down.

Roman

I swore I'd NEVER have another fish tank, so years ago (maybe 7?) I donated all my equipment (including some huge aquariums with nice stands) to a guy in Ft. Washington who has many reptile and amphibian enclosures setup and he uses them to teach children about all of the species he has. How do you get the peacock to stay alive? My neighbor had 2 and something got both of them. One was this one pictured and the other one was all white.

View attachment 105859
What a cute little guy! He appears to be an immature male. Our peacock is in an enclosure, nothing can get to him.

Roman

I'm not nearly as much of an animal person as you are, but I totally understand what you mean. The house isn't right without that happy little prance of a dog walking through it, or tails wagging to great you at the door. I desperately want a 3rd dog (another small one), but my husband is totally against it. I am secretly looking at senior chihuahuas when I hear about them to find just the right one - and I'm trying to wear him down.
My daughter has a friend that fosters older Chihuahuas here in Calvert. If you are interested, I can get her number for you. She lives off Broome's Island road.

mamatutu

mama to two
Very cute! But, since Ark rejected my last donation, we will be adopting from CAWL (that I plan to start volunteer work for). We just lost our last of four furry family members two weeks ago. They were all 15 give or take a few months. We are going away to Hawaii for two weeks first of March. When we get back, we will adopt again. I am sad about how it played out on this forum and that Ark lost out. I would have gone to her first.

Last edited:

Hank

my war
Very cute! But, since Ark has rejected my donations, I will be adopting from CAWL. We just lost our last of four two weeks ago. We are going away to Hawaii for two weeks first of March. When we get back, we will adopt again. Sorry Ark lost out.

You are such an asswipe.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
You are such an asswipe.

Had you not quoted, I wouldn't have seen it, but I'm ok with that - CAWL saves critters too, that's what it's all about ..... saving critters. Personally I would have checked to see which rescues had what, then decided which ones I felt the most drawn to, and went with that org. Any way it goes if it's a rescue organization then it's win for "saving lives" as CAWL can then save more kitties.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
How stinking cute !

She IS so cute! That's how it gets us through this puppy stage easier ... she is so sweet and so stinking cute we can't stay mad at her.

The chewing is the worst part, but I think we have a handle on that now with her Nylabone and the Puppy Kong, and she is 8 months old now, so the teeth issue will settle down and she won't feel the need to chew so much.

Ideally we will find her a playmate in the form of another doggie, or a very active human that can spend time with her.

mamatutu

mama to two
Had you not quoted, I wouldn't have seen it, but I'm ok with that - CAWL saves critters too, that's what it's all about ..... saving critters. Personally I would have checked to see which rescues had what, then decided which ones I felt the most drawn to, and went with that org. Any way it goes if it's a rescue organization then it's win for "saving lives" as CAWL can then save more kitties.

I guess you have me on ignore, but I will post anyway. I appreciate your reply via Hank. I was always sad about our falling out on this forum because I was so enthusiastic about supporting you. I hate to see when you post that you are struggling to help save as many critters as you can. If you ever change your mind about me supporting your efforts, I would be glad to resume helping you. It is up to you. Sometimes, personalities clash on this forum.

Good luck in your campaign to save the critters. You are a good person. :smile:

CAWL saves doggies, too.

Maybe, Hank will be nice for once and reply to my post again. :lol: I am not holding my breath.

You can always click on 'view post', also.

Last edited:

acommondisaster

:huggy::high5:

mamatutu

mama to two
As far as animals holding me back from traveling, I have always stayed home and missed the trips. I didn't want to kennel my elderly animals. This year is the first time I will be traveling in a long time now that they are gone. It doesn't necessarily make me feel free. I agree with Roman and never felt my critters were holding me back because I enjoyed and loved them so much. The big joke in my hub's company now is so you really have a wife, and she is really going to Hawaii with us! :lol: I would not have changed a thing. I miss my animals very much, but such is life. I will get new furry babies when we get back. It is what I do. When I started at LSU in prevet to become a vet, I soon realized that was a huge mistake. I would have become the cat lady that so many joke about, so I changed majors. My love of animals will rival anyone's here. I wish my heart wasn't so soft.

Roman

As far as animals holding me back from traveling, I have always stayed home and missed the trips. I didn't want to kennel my elderly animals. This year is the first time I will be traveling in a long time now that they are gone. It doesn't necessarily make me feel free. I agree with Roman and never felt my critters were holding me back because I enjoyed and loved them so much. The big joke in my hub's company now is so you really have a wife, and she is really going to Hawaii with us! :lol: I would not have changed a thing. I miss my animals very much, but such is life. I will get new furry babies when we get back. It is what I do. When I started at LSU in prevet to become a vet, I soon realized that was a huge mistake. I would have become the cat lady that so many joke about, so I changed majors. My love of animals will rival anyone's here. I wish my heart wasn't so soft.
Are you getting a Cat, or Dog when you return from the trip?

mamatutu

mama to two
Are you getting a Cat, or Dog when you return from the trip?

I would love to have both, but I think it will be a cat. We should only adopt one since we will be downsizing and moving in the next year or two. I feel so guilty about thinking about getting another animal. I feel like I am betraying my beloved best furry friends of the last 15 years, but I need to have that animal connection. A cat is better to leave at home when we go on day trips to visit my daughter, and such, but a dog is great too, and could potentially travel with us. Plus, my daughter is highly allergic to dogs, but she endured it like a trooper growing up. If I got a dog, it would have to be one of those 5 that are hypo-allergenic which gets us into a specially bred dog thing. I would rather adopt from a rescue. So, that's the dilemma. I still have time to think about it. It will work out as all things do, and as they should be. :smile:

Maybe, Ark and I will have worked things out by then, and could adopt from her. I do want to rescue an older cat/dog. I am too old for the puppy/kitten thing! :lol:

Last edited: