Need DVD copied

lisa8439

edited just in case it IS illegal to copy DVD's that you already own for your own personal use. I thought that the fair use practice allowed one copy of a DVD for your own personal use. Having someone else copy it for you doesn't mean that it isn't for your own personal use... just means that you have no way of doing it yourself.

But I'll edit the post in case I am behind on the times....
:cds:

Last edited:

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
:howdy:
If you haven't found anyone to copy them yet, my husband would do it for you.

When the undercover officer arrests your husband for copyright infringement, you could also be held liable since you're soliciting to illegally sell copyrighted material.

Nucklesack

When the undercover officer arrests your husband for copyright infringement, you could also be held liable since you're soliciting to illegally sell copyrighted material.

You'd think a Computer Engineer would have a serious issue with his Wife blasting all over a Public Forum that he regularly copies DVD's and is publicly offering his services, for a fee.

lisa8439

You'd think a Computer Engineer would have a serious issue with his Wife blasting all over a Public Forum that he regularly copies DVD's and is publicly offering his services, for a fee.

Nope he doesn't - it isn't illegal to make a copy of a DVD for yourself when you already own it, right? We've backed up quite a few of ours since the kids are demanding to put them in theirselves - they scratched up one of their favorite ones and we had to go buy it again because we didn't back it up.

He probably wouldn't even charge a fee - but I don't want everyone PMing me telling me they need DVD's copied :lol: He does a lot of other computer work too for people he knows and our friends.

I thought there was some 'fair use' practice or something that allows you to make one back-up copy of media - including DVD's - as long as it is for your own personal use. Did they change that?

Last edited:
Nope he doesn't - it isn't illegal to make a copy of a DVD for yourself when you already own it, right?

That depends on who you talk to. If you ask the recording industry and folks like Sony, even backups are illegal. They argue that even tho you bought it, the content is still protected and having a copy of it in any form is illegal. Battles have been going on for years about "fair use".

lisa8439

That depends on who you talk to. If you ask the recording industry and folks like Sony, even backups are illegal. They argue that even tho you bought it, the content is still protected and having a copy of it in any form is illegal. Battles have been going on for years about "fair use".

I've heard about that - and yes I think the industry wants to tell you it is illegal but I believe there is something stating that you can make ONE copy for yourself.

Either way - it isn't like I am taking movies from blockbuster and copying them. We don't do that - I know that is illegal. It's mostly the kids' dvd's that they scratch up so badly trying to put them in the player themselves.

I guess it's controversial - my understanding was that the fair use practice allowed it, even though the industry tries to tell you differently and argue that it is illegal. I edited my post since there are differing opinions on it - but it certainly wasn't 'selling copyrighted material' - it was having someone pay for services - their DVD, their copy.