Need reliable farrier

appaholic

Hi covekat: Just sent you a PM about Rick.

We are in central Calvert and in immediate need of an excellent farrier who is reliable, knowledgeable and one who does not mind communicating with a customer. We've known Paul Goodness in Virginia for years who is absolutely the best, but we don't have the time or money to haul our 4 dressage boys below Middleburg every 5-6 weeks. We take our one boy to him for "check ups" during the year or if we run into a problem. He's incredible and a great person.

We use Kaerkhaart (spelling?) shoes with 2 nails only on each side - typically we hot shoe. Our horses don't have any problems, other than the last visit from our former farrier who did a lousy job.

We already know about Garner, Whyte, Quinn and Victor - definitely not interested. Left 3 messages for Campini and Kelley -- with no return calls, even to say if they are not taking new clients. We have dressage performance horses and need someone who knows what they are doing, is consistent and reliable -- and one who returns phone calls. I know that's asking a lot... (sigh)...

Suggestions are much appreciated - we need someone in the immediate future -- like now would not be too soon. Thanks. :)

Please respond via PM. Thanks so much. :cartwheel

I too think Paul Goodness is the absolute BEST as a farrier and as a human being there will be a special place in heaven for someone as kind as he! BUT that drive can be MURDER!!! Locally I use Richard Campani who is also wonderful plus Paul & EMC both liked his work so I would keep trying.

equineconn

Thanks appaholic. I'll try Richard again, but after leaving 3 messages and even asking him to return the call to advise if he could OR could not or did not want to take on anyone else, and don't get a return phone call, it leaves a bit of a sour taste in one's mouth... As others, our training and riding schedule depends greatly on our farrier. I'll give it another shot. Thanks again.

equineconn

Thanks kmbetit. The correct trimming and shoeing of dressage warmbloods is definitely different than with Morgans (used to have one years ago). At the end of the day, it is the ability to properly 'balance' a horse's hoof based on individual conformation and angles, no matter what the breed. We don't use weighted shoes and don't keep the toe too long -- has to be in proper alignment and balance to avoid unnecessary and damaging torque on the horse's legs and other parts of the body which can result due to incorrect angles and not being correctly balanced. Thanks very much for your feedback.

kmbetit

K Betit
Thanks kmbetit. The correct trimming and shoeing of dressage warmbloods is definitely different than with Morgans (used to have one years ago). At the end of the day, it is the ability to properly 'balance' a horse's hoof based on individual conformation and angles, no matter what the breed. We don't use weighted shoes and don't keep the toe too long -- has to be in proper alignment and balance to avoid unnecessary and damaging torque on the horse's legs and other parts of the body which can result due to incorrect angles and not being correctly balanced. Thanks very much for your feedback.

Yes- I agree, as is the same with any horse. My Morgan actually competes in Working Hunter and Dressage in Morgan A and open shows. But as you then know Morgans with a lot of natural action will not move properly if they aren't trimmed properly per their breed. This is not to say that Pat couldn't shoe your Warmbloods. He is very perceptive to what my horse needs, and what makes him move properly, which I have found many farriers aren't.

kmbetit

K Betit
I have heard that there is a farrier that comes to Southern Maryland that does mainly dressage horses. I don't remember his name but could probably find out. I also haven't heard any feedback on him...from what I understand he's out of VA and relatively new.

fredsaid2

However, from what i understand, he does have a history shoeing Morgans, and may not realize some people don't want their toes so long...you might just have to mention it. Overall i've been very happy with the job he does.

I've used Pat for years. Have never had an issue w/ long toes. It's not something he can change immediately if it's the case when you first bring your horse to him. Not saying he's the best farrier for everyone but he is extremely reliable, knowledgeable and more than willing to discuss your horse's needs.

equineconn

Thanks everyone for your great feedback. Having an open line of communication and the willingness to have a 2-way discussion with horse owners is very important! Thanks again. :)