Need someone to warmup my horse

javgag

I haven't been riding my gelding enough and now he is being difficult (throwing his head around and moving sideways). I need someone who can come and give him an attitude adjustment.

Owings area

P.S. i have kids that are being difficult too if anyone can fix them. :)

thanks

CountryLady

luvmyponies
I haven't been riding my gelding enough and now he is being difficult (throwing his head around and moving sideways). I need someone who can come and give him an attitude adjustment.

Owings area

thanks

A horse that throws his head is generally trying to get away from some discomfort either from the saddle, bridle and bit or the riders hands, seat or inappropriate use of aids or legs.

Also, when is the last time his teeth were floated or he saw a dentist?

:coffee:

Maybe try riding him in a small area like a round pen usuing a side pull/bitless bridle/ halter and reins.

If he hasnt been ridden has he gotten a little fat, maybe the saddle is fitting him a little tightly and pinching him. So maybe try riding him bareback to see if the problem is eliminated. Maybe the tack is a bit stiff due to lack of use or conditioning.

Just some things to check.

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member

Owings area

thanks

How about a good smack on the a$$ for all of them?

Baja28

Obama destroyed America
I have a remote start for my horse. He's all warm by the time I get outside. :biggrin:

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
How about a good smack on the a$$ for all of them?

If only it were THAT simple on kids ......

now for the horse? Could be an issue with tack surely as my mare was doing that due to a bit she didn't like, then she also had an issue with the saddle but those times I usually ended up riding upside down and had no clue why ... LOL I sold that saddle since it always ended up UNDER her belly LOL

FireBrand

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
'Warm up the horse' huh, is that what they call it now.
Used to be 'cuddle the kitten' and 'petting the p....'
- well you know what I mean :lmao:

DeeCee

A horse of course!
Horses are as a rule, pretty lazy, and most don't want to hurt their riders. This behavior doesn't sound like he's being difficult, he's trying to tell you something and you have to figure out what.

Does he get jiggy as soon as you put the saddle on? Does he also swish his tail or pin his ears the whole time you're riding? Does he snap or look back at one side or the other while under saddle? Elam at Loveville Leather is good at evaluating saddle fit if you want someone else to look at it. FYI - padding up a poor fitting saddle only creates more pressure in the areas that don't fit. If after a ride there are dry spots anywhere the tree sits along the back it is a good indication that it doesn't fit.

You can check his back for soreness by running your finger and thumb down his spine from wither to behind where the saddle sits with enough pressure to push into his flesh and don't tickle him, really press down firmly. If he flinches and sags his back down and away from that pressure, his back is sore.

Pain at or immediately behind the wither indicates a tree that is too narrow. There will be dry spots on either side of the withers.

Mid to lower back pain on both sides can indicate a saddle that bridges. Bridging refers to where the saddle makes contact only at the withers and lower back with no contact through the middle portion - there will be dry spots on either side of the spine. (Poor fit in this area might result in moving sideways away from the pain.)

Another saddle problem is a broken or poorly made saddle which has a twisted or uneven tree, which can create pressure to either side of the back. Usually this shows up as pressure sensitivity on one side behind the withers and on the other side in the lower back region.

Reaction only one side of the back can show rider body weight imbalance. An easy way to check rider balance is to use a pair of bathroom scales placed side by side. Stand with one foot on each scale and take your balance. Have someone check the weight on each scale. Perfect balance would be identical numbers. A difference of more than 10 pounds between the two scales is an area of concern for rider balance. Do you constantly have to push down into one stirrup or the other to reposition the saddle? This also causes pain.

If his back is sore on only one side, check the length of your stirrup leathers. Leather can stretch unevenly, especially with imbalances in leg/body weight. Stirrup leathers really should be switched out each month exchanging either side to the other you can compare the length of each to see any extreme difference in rider balance.

Hope these things help you figure out what's going on with your boy. To quote Clinton Anderson..."It's never the horse." :biggrin:

Last edited:

HeavyChevy75

Podunk FL
He is trying to tell you something. What are you doing when he throws his head. Does his saddle fit properly? Have you had him vetted out completely lately? What type of bit does he have on? Is it a simple snaffle or something more severe?

My old horse would throw his head when his back was bothering him. He also didn't like to much saddle pad it would make the saddle pinch his withers.

Send me a PM.

HeavyChevy75

Podunk FL
Hope these things help you figure out what's going on with your boy. To quote Clinton Anderson..."It's never the horse." :biggrin:

IT is never the horse. It is up stupid humans that makes the horse do stuff to hurt us. I remind myself of that when I hit the dirt.

Hoover

My horse kept tossing his head - I'm now riding him in a bitless bridle- Its awesome. He is calm and its a great ride. You can get them at Chicks Saddlery for $20.00 or on E-bay for as low as $70.00 - I bought a Dr. Cooks Bitless Bridle - best thing I ever bought. I also just bought the Cashel G2 saddle. I usually show English. But when I ride on the trail I want him to be as comfortable as possible. He loved this saddle today. You would have thought I gave him a new life. The saddle moves with your horse - its almost a bareback feeling but comfortable.