New Feeder

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
Decided to make a bird feeder, so I repurposed a cracked bamboo kitchen cutting board and mounted it on a 3" PVC pipe. Put out sunflower chips and safflower seed (cardinals like safflower and other birds leave it). Got some day old bagels, cut in half, schmear with peanut butter and add sunflower chips.

3 days later, nothing has been touched. I know it takes some time for the birds to discover it, but I'm surprised it's taking this long. I really thought the deer would have found the peanut butter bagels by now as they are in the backyard daily. Even the squirrels are ignoring it.

:ohwell:

jrt_ms1995

Decided to make a bird feeder, so I repurposed a cracked bamboo kitchen cutting board and mounted it on a 3" PVC pipe. Put out sunflower chips and safflower seed (cardinals like safflower and other birds leave it). Got some day old bagels, cut in half, schmear with peanut butter and add sunflower chips.

3 days later, nothing has been touched. I know it takes some time for the birds to discover it, but I'm surprised it's taking this long. I really thought the deer would have found the peanut butter bagels by now as they are in the backyard daily. Even the squirrels are ignoring it.

:ohwell:

View attachment 154159
It's probably something personal. :whistle:

But we added a new feeder ourselves several weeks ago. Was over a week before anything was seen at it, and it still isn't frequented; the ones that have been there for years get all the action.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
Were they NY bagels and generic peanut butter?
At least day old grocery store bagels and generic PB. I would never give up my NY bagels. And I'm out of them anyway, just waiting for a chance to get to LI to get a few dozen.

mitzi

No, not as a rule. We usually see them on the feeders. But, survival of the fittest, and all. :)

I never had them come to mine. I always had the chickadees, titmouse, woodpeckers and different finches.

Louise

I never had them come to mine. I always had the chickadees, titmouse, woodpeckers and different finches.

I guess it is where we all live. I don’t think I have seen a chickadee or titmouse. Woodpeckers and finches, yes. We put out suet cakes. Maybe that makes the difference. Happy New Year, mitzi. :)

mitzi

I guess it is where we all live. I don’t think I have seen a chickadee or titmouse. Woodpeckers and finches, yes. We put out suet cakes. Maybe that makes the difference. Happy New Year, mitzi. :)

I put out suet cakes along with black sunflower seeds. Happy New Year.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
A few birds found it yesterday, finches, chickadees, cardinals... then they all disappeared. Didn't see them all day today. Just now I turned to look out the window, and there was a huge hawk sitting on a branch just a few feet from the feeder.

:lol: I think I know why I'm not seeing any small birds....

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
It's really odd how the birds visit. They come in swarms of all kinds. Just now there were purple finch, gold finch, bluebirds, sparrows, wrens, at least 2 families of cardinals, chickadees, ..... and then poof, gone for hours. The feeder is idle most of the day, they all swoop in, feed and disappear. I know there are woodpeckers and flickers around, just haven't seen them at the feeder yet.

But, and I'm gonna regret saying this.... no blackbirds, crows, cowbirds, no grackles.

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
A few birds found it yesterday, finches, chickadees, cardinals... then they all disappeared. Didn't see them all day today. Just now I turned to look out the window, and there was a huge hawk sitting on a branch just a few feet from the feeder.

:lol: I think I know why I'm not seeing any small birds....
When we lived in northern Illinois, had a pair of Cooper hawks that used our bird feeders as a buffet. Would perch in the black walnut tree along the fence line.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
I've really enjoyed seeing how many different birds have come to the feeder. A couple of families of cardinals, a pair of brown wood thrush, couple different kinds of woodpeckers, titmouse, snowbird, wren, purple and gold finches. No chickadees.

But after nearly a whole winter, the blackbirds finally found it today. I certainly don't mind a couple, but they flock in the hundreds and fly in all at once, devastating whatever food I've put out. I hate chasing them because it spooks the other birds.

I've turned into that old man with the BB gun taking pot shots from the back door. Next it will be the kids on the front lawn....

Grumpy

I certainly don't mind a couple, but they flock in the hundreds and fly in all at once, devastating whatever food I've put out. I hate chasing them because it spooks the other birds.

They're like locusts, but I have noticed they are never at the feeders for more than 20 minutes, they fly off in a group and the other birds come back.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
They're like locusts, but I have noticed they are never at the feeders for more than 20 minutes, they fly off in a group and the other birds come back.
:lol: I don't have the patience to wait for them to fly away while watching my seed disappear.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
My birds have been strangely absent today. I suppose dodging ice missiles isn't one of their favorite things to do.

SteveEarsom

In general, the gods ate seeds, insects, grains, green vegetables, and fruits. Their diet can be as varied as other omnivorous birds. Cardinal has a large and strong beak so large seeds will attract them, Cardinal's favorite seed might be sunflower seeds, cracked corn, safflower seeds, roasted and unsalted peanuts, corn, white milo, nuts pumpkin seeds or hearts. If you want to attract them, you can choose to put these seeds in your feeder.

Last edited:

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
This feeder has been doing real well, and the squirrels haven't bothered it at all.

Until this week. One who seems to be just a little smarter and little more aggressive finally managed to figure a way to shimmy up the PVC pole. Yesterday I sprayed the pole with vegetable spray, and that took care of that. But the squirrel is visibly upset and has gotten very aggressive towards the others, and appears to be totally frustrated. He/She tries to jump from the ground 6 feet straight up to the platform, falls short by 2 feet, then angrily chases the others around the yard. :lol: