New Foal is here!

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
The filly's miniature sire looked to be a straight up brown and white paint. I'll try to get more more pics in better light today.
Then your baby got a single copy of the silver gene! :yay: for you!!
that's awesome! the beauty of the color, with none of the inherited issues of a double silver foal. chances are good she'll be dappled like mom too then! very often they're linked.

TCF42

yeeeeeee!
silver doesn't affect bay/brown or red, only black.
I was going to dispute this, but then I was thinking.. in a way you're right. Of course it never affects red bases, but it does affects bays/browns. However, only on their black points. A bay has a black mane, black tail, black points, and usually black ear rims.. and those are the places where silver is only expressed. Interesting, I've never really thought about that specifically. In technicality it does only affect the black color. Do you happen to have the paper on silver Appy? I don't think I've ever read it.

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
I was going to dispute this, but then I was thinking.. in a way you're right. Of course it never affects red bases, but it does affects bays/browns. However, only on their black points. A bay has a black mane, black tail, black points, and usually black ear rims.. and those are the places where silver is only expressed. Interesting, I've never really thought about that specifically. In technicality it does only affect the black color. Do you happen to have the paper on silver Appy? I don't think I've ever read it.

I have some info linked to my website. Here is a nicely written article (posted with permission from the author) on how the silver gene is related to ASD and breeding practices based on those theories:
http://www.briesrottweilers.com/horses/ASDSD.pdf

And here is a link to coat color info from VGL the lab i use and work with, for all color testing:
Horse Coat Color

FYI, I have 2 horses who are the most rare colors VGL has ever tested in horses. The lab uses my 2 horses as samples all others testing for silver, agouti and champagne are tested against. Both are black horses (no red) with silver, one carries agouti and is double silver. I own one, Trou, who is a stallion prospect for our farm, Champagne Troubadour and I bought, sold and currently co-own the other one (she's not paid for in full yet), so I'm pretty secure in saying i understand color and how it works.

Here is a link to what you can get when you cross what with what:
Color Calculator

I love color stuff. :biggrin:

Last edited:

TotalControl

Leap Of Faith Farm
:yeahthat: I want one. :frown:

]:yeahthat: I want one. TOOOOOO

good luck with her she is soooo cute.

we are in the process of finding my son his pony he said black and white paint with a wide white blaze down the face so he can name it BLAZE .. Boy do I have my work cut out for me.. It also has to be dead broke go figure..:killingme

Wait4It..boom

If you see one dead broke (without all the paint and blaze stuff- color doesn't really matter- although hubbie wants at least 15-16hands) let me know. I'm having a hard enough time finding one to fit that category that's not already sold (wish people would take them off the internet when they are) or out of my range.

TotalControl

Leap Of Faith Farm
let me know. I'm having a hard enough time finding one to fit that category that's not already sold (wish people would take them off the internet when they are) or out of my range.

have you checked out dream horse?? that's were I will start looking ..goodluck I also need it under 13h

TCF42

yeeeeeee!
Well I am also a color enthusiast, but it just never really sunk in that silver only affects the expression of eumelanin (black) pigment. Since bays express eumelanin, they do show silver. It does not affect the pheomelanin of bay horses therefore no change is made to the red body color. I was registering that silver affects black pigment as silver affects black bases (and of course a bay is a black based horse), which led to my previous confusion.
Thanks for your time in offering the links, but I already have them. :smile:
And does it make me a nerd to say punnett squares are more fun than a calculator??

Sonsie

The mighty Al-Sonsie!
Mare and baby are doing great! Is she the spittin' image of her momma or what? We named her Maisy, my daughter loves the cartoon mouse and it's a cute enough little name.

Attachments

• Maisywebcrop 800X528.jpg
    Maisywebcrop 800X528.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 95

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
Mare and baby are doing great! Is she the spittin' image of her momma or what? We named her Maisy, my daughter loves the cartoon mouse and it's a cute enough little name.
what's that green stuff under foot? :lol:
GREAT picture! A mini me she is...

Sonsie

The mighty Al-Sonsie!
what's that green stuff under foot? :lol:
GREAT picture! A mini me she is...

That green stuff underfoot is part of my front lawn! With no rain for months everything else is dry and brown around here unless you water it. I try to let her out of her stall and 25' x 25' run for a while every day to graze a little and have a break from hay and run around free. The other horses and pony are jealous, they have the pastures but there isn't a single green blade of grass!

Trying2Ride

]:yeahthat: I want one. TOOOOOO

good luck with her she is soooo cute.

we are in the process of finding my son his pony he said black and white paint with a wide white blaze down the face so he can name it BLAZE .. Boy do I have my work cut out for me.. It also has to be dead broke go figure..:killingme

TC,
How is it you are looking for a pony when you can't pay back the money I loaned you for the ones you already have? Seems a bit strange that you can't pay current debt after repeated requests by myself and my husband, to which, you reply with a bunch excuses why you can’t. Yet you have money to buy another pony???? Those who have a pony to sell that matches this description......seller beware, get cash....ALL OF IT, up front. Otherwise, you will be left with an empty stall, empty promises, and an empty wallet. Yes, TC, you indeed have your work cut out for you. "Dead broke" is a great quote from above, it seems that you are not "dead broke" as you claim, you just choose to not pay back money you admittedly owe for a favor I did for you in a time of need.