New Maryland laws effective October 1, 2015

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
After market remote starting systems (maybe not all) do not provide automatic shutdown when vehicle is put into gear without the key. This is an anti-theft device. Factory installed remote starts do. Its cool they now allow it on private property. But the ones that do it in public should have no pity bestowed upon them when their car/truck is stolen because they wanted to keep it running.

You can't put most vehicles into gear without stepping on the brakes and almost every remote start does shut off with brake application.

vince77

You are telling me police going down the road and seeing a car running with no one in it in a private driveway would care enough to stop, and go cite the owner? Without a citizen complaint to spark the visit? Pretty sure that happens with less frequency than jaywalking tickets.

some jaywalking cameras could nip that in the bud...start with school zones

MarieB

After market remote starting systems (maybe not all) do not provide automatic shutdown when vehicle is put into gear without the key. This is an anti-theft device. Factory installed remote starts do. Its cool they now allow it on private property. But the ones that do it in public should have no pity bestowed upon them when their car/truck is stolen because they wanted to keep it running.

Ours is aftermarket and shuts down without the key / stepping on the brake

OTOH, I've tried to start mine and lock it with the second key and the car won't lock. It's annoying

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
•The speed limit on highways can be raised from 65 to 70 on a case-by-case basis. That’s happening first on I-68 in western Maryland. The State Highway Administration says it will study whether the speed limit can be safely raised in other locations.

•You can leave your car unattended and running for up to five minutes if it has a remote ignition system or if it’s on private property and locked.

•Any driver accused in a deadly crash and found to have a blood alcohol content above the legal limit will have their license suspended for at least six months. It used to be 45 days.

•Maryland State Police is required to develop an alert program to find missing drivers after hit-and-runs that result in serious injury.

•Other new state laws involve family issues, treatment of heroin overdoses, and new protections for interns.

•Couples are no longer required to have a one-year separation to get a divorce, if they don’t have any minor children in common and reach a settlement agreement that resolves issues such as alimony and distribution of property.

•Maryland social service agencies can keep children in foster care if there is severe abuse by biological parents, or if parents do not protect their kids from serious mistreatment.

•It’s easier to get naloxone, which reverses the effect of a heroin overdose, without a prescription.

•People with certain nonviolent misdemeanor criminal records will have their records blocked from public view under certain conditions after three years. The law is aimed at helping people with criminal records get jobs. It applies to people who have served their sentences, including probation and parole, and who have maintained clean records.

•People applying to be correctional officers are required to pass a polygraph exam.

•State bans on sexual harassment and discrimination in the workplace are now extended to interns.
http://wtop.com/maryland/2015/09/new-laws-take-effect-in-maryland-on-thursday/

I'm surprised someone hasn't lost their mind on this one. They thought that the relaxation of divorce laws in the 70's liberalized things, this makes it a a minor paper drill.

steppinthrax

I'm surprised someone hasn't lost their mind on this one. They thought that the relaxation of divorce laws in the 70's liberalized things, this makes it a a minor paper drill.

I see absolutely nothing wrong with this one. Much of the Divorce process is complicated. Couples spend years in divorce court, while at the same time they can't meet someone new.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
I see absolutely nothing wrong with this one. Much of the Divorce process is complicated. Couples spend years in divorce court, while at the same time they can't meet someone new.

I don't either, someone (I forgot who) blamed the relaxed divorce laws for the fall of civilization.

BernieP

Resident PIA
I don't either, someone (I forgot who) blamed the relaxed divorce laws for the fall of civilization.

the fact that so many marriages end divorce is one issue, but the law requiring the one year living apart was nothing more than a pain in the ass.

steppinthrax

the fact that so many marriages end divorce is one issue, but the law requiring the one year living apart was nothing more than a pain in the ass.

I can agree and disagree with the 1-year rule. Sometimes after being apart for some time, that may be all is needed to fix the issues. Some people are ready to rush to divorce over what seems like a huge issue now, but may regret many years later. The one year separation can give people time to reflect. Yet at the same time you may want to be done with the person, hands down!!!

glhs837

Power with Control
I can agree and disagree with the 1-year rule. Sometimes after being apart for some time, that may be all is needed to fix the issues. Some people are ready to rush to divorce over what seems like a huge issue now, but may regret many years later. The one year separation can give people time to reflect. Yet at the same time you may want to be done with the person, hands down!!!

Know a guy who caught his wife red handed as it were. She wants out, no thought of reconciliation. since they are upside down, and don't have the funds for one to move out, they are trapped by that one year thing until they can sell the house.

awpitt

Main Streeter
Know a guy who caught his wife red handed as it were. She wants out, no thought of reconciliation. since they are upside down, and don't have the funds for one to move out, they are trapped by that one year thing until they can sell the house.

The one year thing has nothing to do with their inability t sell their house. If adultery can be proved, there is no one year separation requirement. The house is a separate issue.

glhs837

Power with Control
The one year thing has nothing to do with their inability t sell their house. If adultery can be proved, there is no one year separation requirement. The house is a separate issue.

He wont go there to prove it for some reason........ damned if I know why. Given that, which I agree is silly, but matters of the heart are often that way, the one year is applicable. And unless you can support two households you can't do the live apart thing to start that one year clock.

steppinthrax

Yeah, but if you catch you're wife read handed the 1-yr rule doesn't apply. That's only for no-fault. That's Adultery you can file for divorce immediately!!!!!!

steppinthrax

He wont go there to prove it for some reason........ damned if I know why. Given that, which I agree is silly, but matters of the heart are often that way, the one year is applicable. And unless you can support two households you can't do the live apart thing to start that one year clock.

That's a fool. She hurt him, now he's protecting her and torturing himself in the process!!!

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member

Actually, they can "live apart" within the same house as long as they don't have sex during the 1 year period. Saw a divorce granted a number of years ago (St. Mary's) while awaiting my turn before the judge. The lady (that was granted the final decree) had a witness that testified to the "in home" separation, apparently she installed a dead-bolt on her bedroom door, a notarized statement from her husband saying they hadn't had sex, and the judge allowed it.

glhs837

Power with Control
Actually, they can "live apart" within the same house as long as they don't have sex during the 1 year period. Saw a divorce granted a number of years ago (St. Mary's) while awaiting my turn before the judge. The lady (that was granted the final decree) had a witness that testified to the "in home" separation, apparently she installed a dead-bolt on her bedroom door, a notarized statement from her husband saying they hadn't had sex, and the judge allowed it.

Yeah, seems like that might be a wasted year if you get the wrong judge :)

steppinthrax

That's crazy. It also depends on the judge LOL. Honestly I would want to be in a tiny cheap 1 br apartment. You will have bad mojo for that entire year if you lived like that. Within that year you can start meeting people, work on improving yourself, finding what went wrong etc.... Of course if you date, you need to keep that on the down low!

awpitt

Main Streeter
That's crazy. It also depends on the judge LOL. Honestly I would want to be in a tiny cheap 1 br apartment. You will have bad mojo for that entire year if you lived like that. Within that year you can start meeting people, work on improving yourself, finding what went wrong etc.... Of course if you date, you need to keep that on the down low!

All of the info and documentation says that they can't live under the same roof during the separation; however, I also know someone who satisfied the one year separation based on not having had sex even though they still lived together.